A&H

Hi I'm new and need advice

Danwilliams26

Hi all i'm looking to become a ref as it has been my dream for years but never decided to do anything about it until now I've signed up on one course in Aug and I am getting nervous and I am just wondering how did you all find the course was it easy or hard

The Referee Store
You'll get out of it as much as you put in Dan. I've just finished delivering the 50th practical course run by my County and it was the toughest yet simply because of the high proportion of candidates who weren't fully engaged. So do me a favour when you get to your course, please listen to your tutors as they really do know their stuff and want you to succeed as a referee.

Hi @Danwilliams26 First and foremost, welcome :)

There's absolutely nothing to be worried about when it comes down to the course. The piece of advice I will give you is to read the Laws Of The Game (LOTG). http://www.fifa.com/mm/Document/Foo...ng/02/36/01/11/LawsofthegamewebEN_Neutral.pdf

I've seen that you are 25 years old, have you played football in the past? I recommend having a good read through the LOTG. Even myself as a player, having played for many years, I learnt quite a bit by reading the book. There are many things that I done (and sometimes said, contested for etc) where I thought I was in the right, in turns out that I wasn't.

You'll do a combination of theoretical studies and physical activites which will introduce you to the LOTG and practices etc, but obvioulsy the better preapred you are for it, the easier you will find it; and the easier you will find the examination at the end of the course.

I wouldn't worry to much, just prepare (by prepare I mean read the LOTG). Do you have any kit yet?

You'll get out of it as much as you put in Dan. I've just finished delivering the 50th practical course run by my County and it was the toughest yet simply because of the high proportion of candidates who weren't fully engaged.
Did you manage to put them to sleep by your presentation style?:D
Any reason why they weren't engaged? With them paying £100+ for the course you would have thought they wanted value for money.:confused:

Did you manage to put them to sleep by your presentation style?:D
Any reason why they weren't engaged? With them paying £100+ for the course you would have thought they wanted value for money.:confused:
There's the problem, they didn't pay, someone else did

You'll get out of it as much as you put in Dan. I've just finished delivering the 50th practical course run by my County and it was the toughest yet simply because of the high proportion of candidates who weren't fully engaged. So do me a favour when you get to your course, please listen to your tutors as they really do know their stuff and want you to succeed as a referee.

When I was doing my course, I was appalled by some of the (without exception teenage) candidates who were not listening, messing about and just seemed to be there to ask the tutors what they'd do in the most ridiculous and moronic scenarios they could think of. Some of them obviously thought it an extension of school - try and get laughs by acting like an idiot.

Doesn't bode well for the games that these refs are handling if that's their attitude at the get-go!

Hi all i'm looking to become a ref as it has been my dream for years but never decided to do anything about it until now I've signed up on one course in Aug and I am getting nervous and I am just wondering how did you all find the course was it easy or hard

Enjoy it. I didn't do my ref course until I was thirty and now 3 years on, I can honestly say I wish I'd done it 10 years earlier. Just treat it like you would any other form of professional training - be attentive, willing to learn, willing to get involved, willing to ask questions.

Like the other guys say - read the laws of the game. If you do, you won't find the course difficult. It's like passing your driving test though, it's only after you pass that you really start learning!

Hi @Danwilliams26 First and foremost, welcome :)

There's absolutely nothing to be worried about when it comes down to the course. The piece of advice I will give you is to read the Laws Of The Game (LOTG). http://www.fifa.com/mm/Document/Foo...ng/02/36/01/11/LawsofthegamewebEN_Neutral.pdf

I've seen that you are 25 years old, have you played football in the past? I recommend having a good read through the LOTG. Even myself as a player, having played for many years, I learnt quite a bit by reading the book. There are many things that I done (and sometimes said, contested for etc) where I thought I was in the right, in turns out that I wasn't.

You'll do a combination of theoretical studies and physical activites which will introduce you to the LOTG and practices etc, but obvioulsy the better preapred you are for it, the easier you will find it; and the easier you will find the examination at the end of the course.

I wouldn't worry to much, just prepare (by prepare I mean read the LOTG). Do you have any kit yet?
I have never played football (only in school) just because I wasn't very good I have read some of the LOTG and it just seems to much to learn i just need to train for it i have got a few months to get it all in my head I want this so bad

No problem mate. Well, by not having played much, it's not a big deal.

The laws are a lot to learn, but the trick isn't to learn them, the key is to understand them. Read the LOTG book and then find some scenarios on YouTube to explain the laws, this could help.

As you're reading through, if you get a bit confused, just fire off a question into the appropriate forum topic, I'm sure you'll get plenty of answers. Another place to test your knowledge is http://areferee.com/soccer.php It's a law-quiz site.

When I was doing my course, I was appalled by some of the (without exception teenage) candidates who were not listening, messing about and just seemed to be there to ask the tutors what they'd do in the most ridiculous and moronic scenarios they could think of. Some of them obviously thought it an extension of school - try and get laughs by acting like an idiot.

Doesn't bode well for the games that these refs are handling if that's their attitude at the get-go!

It was the same on my course, in the end the instructors ended up splitting them up and putting them on different tables.

But back on topic, there's nothing to be worried about before the course, as long as you get your head in the LOTG and turn up willing to listen and learn you'll be fine.

Also, if you have a question, don't be afraid to ask.

Enjoy it. I didn't do my ref course until I was thirty and now 3 years on, I can honestly say I wish I'd done it 10 years earlier. Just treat it like you would any other form of professional training - be attentive, willing to learn, willing to get involved, willing to ask questions.

Like the other guys say - read the laws of the game. If you do, you won't find the course difficult. It's like passing your driving test though, it's only after you pass that you really start learning!

^^^ This ^^^ :cool:

Moreover, you'll be involving yourself in an outdoor physical sporting activity within a sport that you love for which you'll be getting paid. What's not to like? :)

Welcome Dan!

When I did the course there was about 15 of us, varied age group. With the exception of one older guy who just wanted to understand the laws better but had no intention of ever refereeing a game, everyone else was either already refereeing matches or planned to in the future. Fortunately everyone was there to learn, although one guy came across as a bit of a know it all, i'm better than you, "been refereeing 15 years already, know everything there is to know blah blah blah" :confused:

As others have said... read, learn and understand the laws and don't be frightened of asking any questions you may have. Most of all, when it comes round enjoy the course! Any pre-conceptions I may have had disappeared the minute I arrived. Was sort of disappointed when it finished as I had enjoyed it so much. Over the 4 weeks, had 5 or 6 tutors including the county RDO, a couple of retired guys, a L4 and L2 who ref'd in the conference and run the line in the Championship and JPT final who were all willing to offer advice and answer any questions.

Good luck with the course! :)

Welcome, Dan! :)

There's really nothing to be afraid of when it comes to the course. As long as you go in with the right attitude, you'll get everything you need and more. Listen, engage and perhaps most importantly, don't be afraid to ask questions.

Good luck!

HI!!! I did my course Jan 2015. My advice to you would be that it is mainly common sense so don't try to over complicate it. It isn't that hard although some people may tell you it. Like others have said read the LOTG and it will give you a head-start. when you get to refereeing, there are some things that you won't know how to manage or what to do in certain situations or you may make the wrong decisions. We all do this though and it's part of the learning. When you make a wrong decision, and you realise that you have, I find that it is better to apologise and if it is not to late, change the decision you have made - at the end of the day, you're human too. So don't be scared of the course if you are worried about what is to come in the future. Approach it with confidence and you will be fine

I started back in AUG and regret not doing it sooner
my advice to you would be

• get the full kit and equipment - look the part and you will be respected more - have 2 -3 different colours jerseys
  • turn up to the ground an hour before the game - gives to time to do pitch inspection and speak to both team
  • be confident in every decision even if your wrong- make the decision stick with it, don't show any weakness
  • must be fit to keep up with play, being in the correct position makes your game much easier and allows you to sell fouls etc easier
  • run your diagonal - works a treat
  • don't try and be the hero - don't get involved in things you don't need to
  • after every game note down what you did well and what you need to work on - before the next game read of your previous game comments
  • remember to bring a coin to the toss - something I always forget
  • get the respect and authority from players early on - get the captains names and use them throughout the game
  • read the LOTG
  • go to local games and watch the referee - positioning - game control and how he speaks to players
hope this helps

Conor, we are only permitted to wear black. Unless of course you intend on going to the Euro's or World Cup ;)

Back