A&H

How do you see everything, all of the time?

Viridis1886

That doesn't matter. It's still a foul!
Level 5 Referee
I know you can't, but I had one of those games yesterday (with one of those teams - you know the type), where I just seemed to miss things. Or at least I was informed I missed things.

A couple of examples...

Free kick from about 40 yards left side into the box. I position myself and move to be able to see the drop, get a good view of the keeper coming out to challenge. This plays out, but during it there are is a whack and a yelp and appeals for a penalty. I've no clue what's happened.

Near the end of the game longish through ball with a deflection, so going out for a corner. Attacker and defender running shoulder to shoulder. I'm keeping an eye on the keeper who is trying to stop the corner and both players go to ground. Attacker claims his line was stepped across and he was blocked. This actually happened twice in the last 5 which was really frustrating.

For context, I also refereed the 'disgruntled' team on Wednesday night when they were thrashed 4-0 by a team 2 levels below them in the cup. Their abject performance was clearly my fault, so I was already on a hiding to nothing!

Anyway, I know that you cannot see everything, but it made me wonder if my focus was on the wrong thing at the wrong time. Does anyone have any rules of thumb they use?

The Referee Store
Thing is...
You can't see everything.
Bottom line.

But you'll see far more things than players think you'll see.
As for the attacker having his path blocked. If the defender is within playing distance of the ball, he/she has every right to be there. It is up to the attacker to try and get it from them.

I had game yesterday where I was blinded by the sun a lot.
Gave a corner and keeper questioned it asking how can I see that, indicating the sun was blocking my eyes. I replied "I can still see. Was I wrong?"..
No, was his reply.
I say this as players will always question/test you.
If anything, they make far more mistakes than you will.
Again, in my game yesterday, I had a player (forward) miss about 5 good chances. Misplaced many passes and, whilst defending a corner at 1-3, miskick the ball into the back of a defender unchallenged and it fell to an attacker who scored. All whilst on a caution and walking a tight rope for a second.
I apparently was at fault for their 1-4 defeat by people on the sidelines when they couldn't get things right themselves.

Moral is, you'll never see everything and even if you did in the players and coaches eyes it's wrong regardless.

I had this today, penalty kick. Pitch is wet and slippy, as attacker runs up and about to kick ball my eyes move to look at keeper to make sure he doesn't come off his line. Attacker slips as he kicks ball but scores. Cue defenders saying he hit ball twice. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't...

I struggle with solo refereeing and someone kicking the ball away.

Bad challenge goes in, I run over to start the discipline procedure and all of a sudden 7/8 people are surrounding me saying someone kicked the ball away, all while a team is moving around to avoid me figuring out who did it.

Bad challenge goes in, I run over to start the discipline procedure and all of a sudden 7/8 people are surrounding me saying someone kicked the ball away, all while a team is moving around to avoid me figuring out who did it.
I had someone complain about this last week...
I ignored it purely because I'm thinking "is the time being wasted?".
Look at it this way. Unless it was kicked in anger at your decision, which is showing dissent, you're "delaying" the game by issuing a card, or at least having a chat with the offending player. By the time the ball is where it is meant to be, you're likely just finishing up your discipline procedure and getting into position yourself. So no time is likely to be wasted.

I had exactly the same issue with DRP in the game I was referencing at the start and also the following day, and it got me wondering.

If there is an offence in the technical area and you can't identify, then the most senior member gets the sanction. On the field, you can't just sanction the captain if you're not sure, but is it reasonable to go with the following approach?

Warn all players through captains that you will not tolerate DRP. At the next offence, if not 100% sure, go with the balance of probability it was Red #6. (Obviously not sharing that with the players). If they argue mistaken identity then ask who it was then, because "as far as I'm concerned it was Red #6 and he's getting the sanction".

Is that workable? It may be that there is mistaken identity, which they can argue, but someone in the team should be getting a sanction, and it sets the line with regards tolerance.

I had exactly the same issue with DRP in the game I was referencing at the start and also the following day, and it got me wondering.

If there is an offence in the technical area and you can't identify, then the most senior member gets the sanction. On the field, you can't just sanction the captain if you're not sure, but is it reasonable to go with the following approach?

Warn all players through captains that you will not tolerate DRP. At the next offence, if not 100% sure, go with the balance of probability it was Red #6. (Obviously not sharing that with the players). If they argue mistaken identity then ask who it was then, because "as far as I'm concerned it was Red #6 and he's getting the sanction".

Is that workable? It may be that there is mistaken identity, which they can argue, but someone in the team should be getting a sanction, and it sets the line with regards tolerance.
I might be being stupid or have missed something here, but why specifically red #6?

When you are refereeing solo it is important to keep ”all” players in view at all times - and not get too close.

Corners - don’t stand at the D intersection if 2 pairs of players are behind you.
Fouls - don’t run in if it means you can only see 6 of 22 players.
Free kicks - walk the wall from the outside to keep everyone in view.
Goals - after the goal, get goal side of the scoring team, shepard them until they are safe, then write.

And then with ball in play, you might want to be an optimum 7-10m away from difficult situations if you have NARs, but alone 10-15m might be better.

Don’t get caught out only watching arms or only watching feet. We all do this, especially when we are close.

I had this on Sunday U18s. Back was turned while I spoke to a player, his team mate kicked ball away and it travelled about 30yards. Oppo started moaning at me. I said “hey, I didn’t see it so can’t caution for it, but will keep an eye on it” as I then jogged past the player who was accused by several of being the kicker I just said to him - “if I even think you have delayed a restart now in any way you will get a YC” he was as good as gold afterwards.

Back