A&H

How far can this be taken?

Mick.

RefChat Addict
Series of match incidents in a County Cup U13 game reffed by another.
Before the start of the match the ref informed both coaches that he normally gives at least one penalty a game. Series of soft fouls given against reds. At half time reds coach asks ref why so many fouls are going against his team when nothing seems to be coming the other way. Ref replies that he has reffed green a number of times this season (he lives local to the team) and they "know how he likes the game played." Reds are 2-0 up with about 5 minutes to go. Reds are in Green's half when ref blows for a penalty. All players, Red and Green are looking around wondering what has gone on. No appeals for anything from Greens. Even Green coach asks ref what it is for. Ref announces that Red player had been involved in shirt pulling. One Red player says to no one in particular "this is f......ing s...t". I appreciate that I didn't hear it. No one on the sidelines heard it. Red players inform me that this is what was said. Ref asked him what he said and he repeated the same. Ref says "No. You said, you're f....ing s..t ref, that's what my report will say." I have been on the receiving end of OFFINABUS which I know was directed at me and everyone swore blind that it wasn't, so I won't dwell on this too much. Red player sent off for OFFINABUS. Green score from penalty. There had only been a couple of minor stoppages for no more than thirty seconds or so for fouls/injuries. There were the usual RORO subs stoppages. The ref then proceeds to play about 10 minutes of stoppage time. Bearing in mind the halves are only 30 mins each. Needless to say Greens score an equaliser and a minute or two after that the final whistle is blow. Reds lose on penalties. After the match the ref is seen laughing and joking with one of the parents of the Green team and it is obvious that they know each other.
My question is, what can the coach do about the ref/match. I appreciate that the red card will probably have to stand, but what about the rest? I know it may seem like sour grapes on the part of the red coach, but the circumstances all seem to point towards the ref doing all he could to ensure that the Greens got at least an equaliser. He didn't seem as impartial as he probably should have done. And what is that about telling both teams that he usually gives a penalty? How on earth can he know that?

The Referee Store
Little off topic, but after one of my games started, the RORO subs started using my bag (on the halfway line) as a ‘Bib Caddy’ and so when I blew at half time and went to my bag, it looked like I was standing *with* them rather than standing *next* to them (as I drank my Lucozade and didn’t say a word).

When I came back, before kick off, the opposition manager asked me if I knew the team. Bewildered, I said No, I'm not from the local area (or anywhere near close).

This managers team lost in the end and I over heard (when the AR came to me to return my flag and started chatting with the manager behind me) the manager say “Well, what can we do – they looked pretty chummy to me at half time”.

I wanted to get into it, but I have this mentality that as soon as I drive away and I'm lost in radio music – I wash my hands of the game and think nothing of it.

But that was the closest I've come to ‘biting’. I haven’t heard any more (like reports etc) so doesn’t look he did do anything about it.

So in answer to your question I don’t know *if* he could do anything about it!

Sounds pretty fishy to me. I understand at younger levels when they struck to get refs they do have the same local turn up every week. I myself even help out a friends u10 team which is two minutes from me as they've nearly had to shut their teams down due to a lack of referees. But I have as little to do with them as possible. I don't want to be seen as the home ref. Another league I ref in I recently done a game and the manager of the team lived down my mums road and decorated their bedroom. I even called that in to the referee secretary to declare it as a minor interest!

I don't know what enjoyment anyone can get out of going to referee a game blatantly bending the rules to favour one team. It's just against everything our job is meant to be.

Series of match incidents in a County Cup U13 game reffed by another.
Before the start of the match the ref informed both coaches that he normally gives at least one penalty a game. Series of soft fouls given against reds. At half time reds coach asks ref why so many fouls are going against his team when nothing seems to be coming the other way. Ref replies that he has reffed green a number of times this season (he lives local to the team) and they "know how he likes the game played." Reds are 2-0 up with about 5 minutes to go. Reds are in Green's half when ref blows for a penalty. All players, Red and Green are looking around wondering what has gone on. No appeals for anything from Greens. Even Green coach asks ref what it is for. Ref announces that Red player had been involved in shirt pulling. One Red player says to no one in particular "this is f......ing s...t". I appreciate that I didn't hear it. No one on the sidelines heard it. Red players inform me that this is what was said. Ref asked him what he said and he repeated the same. Ref says "No. You said, you're f....ing s..t ref, that's what my report will say." I have been on the receiving end of OFFINABUS which I know was directed at me and everyone swore blind that it wasn't, so I won't dwell on this too much. Red player sent off for OFFINABUS. Green score from penalty. There had only been a couple of minor stoppages for no more than thirty seconds or so for fouls/injuries. There were the usual RORO subs stoppages. The ref then proceeds to play about 10 minutes of stoppage time. Bearing in mind the halves are only 30 mins each. Needless to say Greens score an equaliser and a minute or two after that the final whistle is blow. Reds lose on penalties. After the match the ref is seen laughing and joking with one of the parents of the Green team and it is obvious that they know each other.
My question is, what can the coach do about the ref/match. I appreciate that the red card will probably have to stand, but what about the rest? I know it may seem like sour grapes on the part of the red coach, but the circumstances all seem to point towards the ref doing all he could to ensure that the Greens got at least an equaliser. He didn't seem as impartial as he probably should have done. And what is that about telling both teams that he usually gives a penalty? How on earth can he know that?

Interesting....

Mick - may I ask in what capacity you were at the match?

Thanks

silhouette - a pitch is a big thing. always aim to put your bag somewhere 'neutral'

as for the o/p, sounds bizarre - manager can write to league, expressing his concerns, tho what good it will do is anyone's guess

better reported than not, imho, just in case they are sitting on another email from another manager

silhouette - a pitch is a big thing. always aim to put your bag somewhere 'neutral'

In my defence - it was my spot first.

The managers/crowd were with their respective bags further down the pitch (both sides), but the subs and a few random players seem to congregate round my bag. Bibs, players, water bottles that were thrown onto the field were all thrown back onto my bag!?

I would have picked it up and moved it at halftime, but I would have had to go either side of the teams (so on the corner flag) or the opposite side of the pitch (which had a lot of 'through traffic' as was a public footpath - so didnt like that idea).

Also, I never leave any kit in an unlocked facility. Too much value/inconvenience if my bag was pinched!

just stick it in the back of one or other goal and tell the keepers that, if anything goes missing then you're holding them responsable

Have to agree with Haywain (jees this becoming a habit) NEVER put your bag or drink anywhere near either team. As for it being your spot first surely you must realise that each team will take a side each and it will always be on the half way line.

As for the OP if this is true it is VERY worrying, no wonder we get a bad name with idiots like this around!!

Sounds pretty fishy to me. I understand at younger levels when they struck to get refs they do have the same local turn up every week. I myself even help out a friends u10 team which is two minutes from me as they've nearly had to shut their teams down due to a lack of referees. But I have as little to do with them as possible. I don't want to be seen as the home ref. Another league I ref in I recently done a game and the manager of the team lived down my mums road and decorated their bedroom. I even called that in to the referee secretary to declare it as a minor interest!

I don't know what enjoyment anyone can get out of going to referee a game blatantly bending the rules to favour one team. It's just against everything our job is meant to be.

Lol Dave! :D

I admire your honesty and caution in declaring your 'minor interest' in one team, I can just visualise the refs sec on the phone when you called....

'Hi refs sec, I just need to be honest and say I had a minor interest in one of the teams I reffed Saturday. You see, the thing is, well, the manager once decorated my mums bedroom.....'

Lol!:D:D:D:D

Getting back to the OP, it does sound fishy to say the least.

All that penalty :poop: at the start followed by a penalty that bemused everybody, plus the 'Greens know how I like them to play the game' rubbish.

This guy needs to understand he is there to facilitate not take part, although it sounds like he wanted to do more than take part even....

Last edited by a moderator:
One question. As was asked above, in what capacity were you there Mick?

otherwise, it is done and gone. The penalty - who as a ref hasn't seen an offence that nobody else sees? The joys of refereeing! The player who got himself sent off, good lesson learn to keep his mouth closed. As for the stoppage time, lots of abouts and not much fact, as we don't have the refs watch to see what time he had, not much can be done there.

And joking with some with a spectator? Heaven forbid the ref is a human being. Not an indicater of guilt.

I know there is a lot of me being Devils advocate above, but football is a different beast in the middle than it is on the sideline.

If he did cheat though, then let's hope karma gets him.

In reply to the original post !!!!! the team should give the ref a low mark , let it go and move on .....how many unfounded claims of bias and cheating must an Fa get in a season !!!!!!

I was accused of similar this week and i have never reffed either side before !!!!

My oldest boy who is 21 ,has hung up his ref gear and started playing again ....He tells me the ref was sh...t every week !!!!!! win or lose !!!!!! :)

This what happened to me yesterday but as I explained to too home manager I do not be biased against one team I'm always consistent too both teams.

Interesting....

Mick - may I ask in what capacity you were at the match?

Thanks
Paul, I was there as a spectator for the losing side. Yes I know there will appear to be an element of bias. For what it's worth, I often find myself defending a refs decision, and even on this occasion kept my mouth shut. II agree that the foulmouthed oik deserved his sending off. As I said to another parent "whatever he said, he wouldn't have got carded of he had kept his mouth shut". I overheard the penalty comment and was gobsmacked. I accept that I wasn't in the same position as the ref for the penalty but after the comment it certainly appeared fishy. With regard to the time. AA U16 game (35mins each way) started on the pitch next to ours a couple of minutes after ours. When their match finished s couple of them came over to watch the last few minutes of our game, so I know pur game was well over.

Back