A&H

How Much!!

Mick.

RefChat Addict
Ref fees always seems to be a thorny issue. Especially when you have travelled some distance to get to the match. Time and again I am faced with a look that you would give a dodgy mechanic when I say how much my fees for a match would be. Invariably it is the travelling expenses that cause the issue. Club managers seem to forget that in most cases we don't ask for matches miles away from home, but fail to take the issue up with the Refsec for that league.
Last season I put in travel claim for £25 and the manager nearly had a heart attack. He failed to understand that I had travelled over 70 miles round trip just to be abused by his team (not entirely fair but you get my point).
I understand the expense has gone up from 35p to 37p per mile. My question is, for those that work the mileage out, how do you calculate the amount of travel that you ask for.
I work out my miles (round trip) and multiply by the expense allowance. I then claim to the nearest pound. If my expense is £8.32 I claim £8. If it is £8.72 I claim £9. That is what I did last season, but I am mindful that (although I lose money rounding down - albeit pennies) when I round up I am claiming for miles that I haven't actually done. This could leave me in the cack with the league/FA. One ref I spoke to at a semi-final (level 5 I think) said that he alway rounded up to take into account phone calls and other expenses, but that is not what the travel element is for, is it? Another ref at another semi only claimed a set fee. He was based out of county and reffed in my county. If he went to one borough he claimed (something like) £28 all in - fee and expense, and if he went to the city he claimed £30. This was regardless of how far he travelled.
I know we don't all do this for the money. If we did, we would be in the wrong job! However the wear and tear on my car does need covering, I just don't want to upset the league.
What do you do?

The Referee Store
I set the meter on the car from the moment I leave the house and stop it when I arrive at the ground. I then double it and multiply it by the mileage allowance. We have an expenses form to fill in and I put the number of miles, fee, allowance, car type on the form. No rounding up, no rounding down!

I presume that is based on the level you officiate at. At my level, they just ask how much. That said, I know of at least one ref who was disciplined by the league for his expenses which is why I have a concern. I do think that I wouldn't be very popular with teams if I turned up and said that my fees for the game would be £31.28 pence please. And no, I don't have any change. That said though, if that is what most people are doing maybe that is what I should be doing too. I just wondered what everyone else does.

Try doing a 100 mile round trip just to call a game off then ask for your half match fee and expenses. Doesn't go down to well let me tell you.

A lot of the leagues i used to officiate in had a slightly higher match fee to cover expenses. Generally you never had to travel more than 10 miles in a round trip so wasn't too bad. IIRC if in the rare occasion you did travel further, you could claim 25p per mile, but this happened once every blue moon

On the Bromsgrove League the fee is set to include expenses, and the Midland Com is a fee plus expenses, A card is completed by the teams and they submit it to the league. As for The pool List I am on I have know idea as this is the first time I have been selected on the list.

I always tell the managers fee and expenses when they confirm the fans a few days in advance.
Also I had the horrible task of claiming to much last season - genuine mistake only by a few ££. I text the manager the next day when I noticed and thankfully he said dont worry.
I always tell the exact amount and if they want to give you more (the extra few pence) there call

I Charge the mileage travelled (round trip), if the club wants to round up thats fine, all clubs expect correct claims even if its £31.28! that 28p helps when the averages are calculated and expence costs shared out between the clubs at the end of the season. ie biggest payers get some money back, those paying less get to pay in some more money.

This is standard on the Midland Combination, local sunday league is fee only. Expence rates are on a sliding scale to get match officials to travel together if possible more officials in a car the greater the rate paid.

Claims are obviously for mileage travelled by car / motor bike etc, One referee was charging the mileage travelled by the bus he caught to the game venue rather than the bus fare he paid!

Ublades

We don't have to. The mileage here is set based on the distance from the head office. It's much easier for us and for managers although is tends to be problematic for people who live outside the city and travel in to do matches.

Always claim as it is - let clubs worry about the pennies etc.

My allocated Supply league is £30 + 32p/mile
The Contrib is £45 (ref) & £30 (AR) + 34p/mile

Anyone found to be falsely claiming gets banned/fined etc by The FA

The leagues I used to operate on Saturdays didn't have an uneven rate. It was always 25p, 30p or 40p a mile. On Sundays, when I was on the committee, we recognised the mileage rate as a potential source of abuse, so we began paying a flat fee two seasons ago. It's £30 for the 2013-14 season.

Back