A&H

How To Avoid Being The Fly On The Wall?

Most of us have questions too as it varies massively from county to county. Whats pink in one county is blue in another. Also although we are the "United Kingdom", England Wales Scotland and Northern Ireland all run independant FAs so we all work differently! Many Welsh on here, and from some of their posts their system seems as clear as mud!
Oi! What is this jive you are talking about the welsh system? It. Seems well. Probably. Spot. On.

Ok, carry on.

The Referee Store
What amaze me the most is that you can officiate in any league you want in your County by sending some mails, is that right ? And clubs have to be in touch with you before a game to confirm ?

Most leagues require clubs to confirm with you at least 3 days before fixture, normally 1 week. And depends on the league and what level refs they need, but normally you can get onto most leagues with an email to the Ref Sec. Only exceptions would normally be our county leagues which tend to be step 9-11 of the football tree here in sunny old England where you normally need to be a 5/6 to referee on the leagues, although some will allow a Level 7 to referee the lower divisions on the County Leagues too :)

It's an interesting system, here it doesn't work that way at all
We have a local level called "District", like mine, District des Hauts de Seine (92), depending on where you live. When you start reffing, you do in that district and you don't have any choice.
To ref elsewhere you simply have to improve and be promoted to the League in which your district and some others are.
For example, districts 91,92,93,94,77 and 78 are all in one League : Paris Ile-de-France
Here, Leagues are step 6 to 9 of the tree

Simples- get paid before kick off, means you can cancel / suspen / abandon / shoot off as and when you need to and no need to hang around afterwards.

If your system is that you get it after then just stand in the door as they collect it up. If you are hidden and overhearing then they dont know you are there and I'd blame myself. If they wont say it to your face on the pitch they won't off either.

Standing there then they'll shut up, get you fee, cheers captain / coach, have a good season gents, and get out of there.

I assume that there anre't many times you go back for the food and have a few drinks on / with them pot match then no?

i am from scotland and up here we might be luckier than some referees down south. we always have a nice referee dressing room and if the match fee doesnt come to you report the team nice and simple

Here in Australia (On the west coast atleast) for amateurs and juniors we get paid cash before the game starts (no payment no game, simples). When refereeing state league or national premier league, we are paid by the governing body, who is paid by the clubs.

I have been paid by cheque twice ever.

Once more than me.

Mine was a game I did at Harrow School several years ago- yes THE Harrow school!

With all the "boys" - it was U18 - paying something like £40,000 a year to go there and their oppos from an equally "exclusive" school, definitely the most "valuable" match I have refereed!:D

Cheque from Coutts bank was so impressive, I NEARLY, framed it , rather than cash it!:)

It was quite an eye opener - it was part of their "normal" Saturday afternoon "sport session", so there was hockey, rugby, Harrow rules football all going on at the same time and all with immaculate facilities - there was even a programme issued so parents etc could find all the games spread across the extensive grounds - never asked back sadly!:oops:

Once more than me.

Mine was a game I did at Harrow School several years ago- yes THE Harrow school!

With all the "boys" - it was U18 - paying something like £40,000 a year to go there and their oppos from an equally "exclusive" school, definitely the most "valuable" match I have refereed!:D

Cheque from Coutts bank was so impressive, I NEARLY, framed it , rather than cash it!:)

It was quite an eye opener - it was part of their "normal" Saturday afternoon "sport session", so there was hockey, rugby, Harrow rules football all going on at the same time and all with immaculate facilities - there was even a programme issued so parents etc could find all the games spread across the extensive grounds - never asked back sadly!:oops:
did you meet mr elleray

No and the really weird anomaly is that that league plays 40' each way - totally wrong of course as U18 as I remember pointing out at the time, but they were the competition rules!

see law 7, page 29, Paul - no anomaly there

i am from scotland and up here we might be luckier than some referees down south. we always have a nice referee dressing room and if the match fee doesnt come to you report the team nice and simple

you mean you guys dont get paid before the game, at the same time as you get the team sheets hmmm

Dont think you can say the whole of Scotland is like that my friend. I referee in Edinburgh and the league has no rules in which the fee must be presented before the KO with the team sheets. In fact I rarely get paid before the game. Must be your league rules that state fee must come with the team lines.

I always have a dressing room but 'a nice' one......hmmmmm the team I do a lot as it is local has a dressing room with one chair and the space of a small cupboard.

nothing to do with league rules. just get yourslf a reputation as the ref who gets paid at the same time as you get the team sheets.it wont take long for the coaches to understand

see law 7, page 29, Paul - no anomaly there

I read that, as only to be used in exceptional circumstances. Doesn't this take precedence "Subject to the agreement of the member association concerned and provided the principles of these Laws are maintained, the Laws may be modified in their application for matches for players of under 16 years of age, for women footballers, for veteran footballers (over 35 years of age) and for players with disabilities."?

I didn't think an U18 league should play 40' e/way as a matter of course.

nothing to do with league rules. just get yourslf a reputation as the ref who gets paid at the same time as you get the team sheets.it wont take long for the coaches to understand

But you said you would report if they didn't bring the money with the teamsheets. How can you do that if there is no league rule?

Also I would not want that reputation. 'Awww heres this guy thats desperate for his cash'. Iv never had a problem getting cash after a game. If it means interrupting a team talk to get paid so be it.

. 'Awww heres this guy thats desperate for his cash'.

More like "Here's the guy doing all refs a favour".
My rule is if the money isn't in my hand exactly 20 mins after the final whistle I'm off.
Why should I waste MY time. Once at least one team is in the changiing room/in their cars, my job is done

It varies from league to league here in Wales, I tend to have a quick word with the home team manager after the final whistle and say "drop in to my changing room and you can have your team sheets back" i ask for a little bit of constructive feedback good/bad and we box off payment then"
I have recently started to put earphones on and listen to my training music

Back