A&H

How to take feedback and apply it.

Blue keeper has ball in his hands for an extended period of time (roughly 15 seconds), just as I'm about to encourage him to get a move on he releases and the game continues. Green keeper starts screaming from the opposite side of the pitch 'how long does he want' 'shall i do your job for you' etc etc.. I was within a reasonable distance of him so I simply said enough and gave a motion of my hand as if to say cut it out. He continued going on for another 30 seconds and included '**** off' as part of it.
I also think "f**k off" is OFFINABUS in almost all cases, especially if many other players can hear it. At least it is where I referee. Even if I don't get offended when directed at me, there would most certainly be some spectators who would be hearing that sort of language directed at another person.

Let's say your interpretation was correct on taking it as dissent. Wouldn't you think 30 seconds is a bit too long (actually, way too long) to allow a player loudly have a go at you after you have publicly told him to cut it out? His previous sarcastic remark deserved a card for dissent on its own but fair enough if you wanted to 'manage' it with a public warning. You are sending the wrong message to other players for allowing it to go unpunished or allowing it to go for that long before punishing it.

My suggestion for this situation would be, after telling him to cut it out, if he makes another comment stop play, caution him and IFK from where he was. He has let his team mates down and has only himself to blame. His team mates know it after seeing you telling him to cut it out and he didn't. It also shows everyone else you are serious about your warnings.

The Referee Store
Back