A&H

Hyundai A-League semi final- Muscat's Team Officials assault player, VAR sends them off

CapnBloodbeard

RefChat Addict
So, interesting night last night in the HAL semi final. Sydney FC in light blue hosting Melbourne Victory in dark blue (I'm sure you can all recognise the underpants stain of a coach). So, it's always a big rivalry at the best of times.
Throw in a referee who spends the entire match being terrified of having to actually make a decision, and you have an interesting match. One player deliberately pulled down the pants of another (and grabbed the groin while doing so), nothing (ball was in play too - not even a foul!). Likely red card tackle near the end doesn't even receive a yellow. Penalty in favour of Sydney not given.

Anyway, this will probably be geoblocked to Australia, but here goes
https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/football/a-league/coaches-raid-pitch-see-red!677174
another site, possibly also geoblocked
https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/video/1221433411899/Melbourne-assistant-coach-red-carded

After the winning goal, a MV team official inexplicably runs onto the field from the goal line and takes a swing at a Sydney player. shortly after, both him and the SFC player are in a scuffle and the goalkeeper coach runs on to try to choke the SFC player.
Weird thing is, even though the 4th and AR have to physically break them up, nobody seems to consider it worthy of any action until the VAR gets on the line and says 'what the hell guys? DO SOMETHING!!!'.

Inexplicably how it takes VAR intervention to get 2 team officials sent off after running onto the pitch to assault a player.
And of course, Muscat runs onto the field...actually breaks them up, all good. Then goes back onto the field to berate the 4th. Spends all game berating the 4th, as always, and nothing happens.

Incidentally, the HAL is one of the leagues authorised to show cards to team officials.

Now they play my club's arch rivals in the grand final. Can't decide whether I want my arch rivals or Muscat to lose more....

Last edited:
The Referee Store
So, interesting night last night in the HAL semi final. Sydney FC in light blue hosting Melbourne Victory in dark blue (I'm sure you can all recognise the underpants stain of a coach). So, it's always a big rivalry at the best of times.
Throw in a referee who spends the entire match being terrified of having to actually make a decision, and you have an interesting match. One player deliberately pulled down the pants of another (and grabbed the groin while doing so), nothing (ball was in play too - not even a foul!). Likely red card tackle near the end doesn't even receive a yellow. Penalty in favour of Sydney not given.
Anyway, this will probably be geoblocked to Australia, but here goes
https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/football/a-league/coaches-raid-pitch-see-red!677174

After the winning goal, a MV team official inexplicably runs onto the field from the goal line and takes a swing at a Sydney player. shortly after, both him and the SFC player are in a scuffle and the goalkeeper coach runs on to try to choke the SFC player.
Weird thing is, even though the 4th and AR have to physically break them up, nobody seems to consider it worthy of any action until the VAR gets on the line and says 'what the hell guys? DO SOMETHING!!!'.

Inexplicably how it takes VAR intervention to get 2 team officials sent off after running onto the pitch to assault a player.
And of course, Muscat runs onto the field...actually breaks them up, all good. Then goes back onto the field to berate the 4th. Spends all game berating the 4th, as always, and nothing happens.

Incidentally, the HAL is one of the leagues authorised to show cards to team officials.

Now they play my club's arch rivals in the grand final. Can't decide whether I want my arch rivals or Muscat to lose more....
Firstly I must say, I believe the standard of refereeing in HAL is not world class by any stretch of imagination. Neither is playing standard. This game being no different.

As a side note refereeing standard in EPL is a world apart from playing standard but that is another story.

I do find it though your posts about HAL refereeing have another agenda. The conversation between officials over the comms is not published. I'd be interested to know where you got that information from.

On the specific incident, as with many VAR decisions, its clumsy and not following correct process but the correct outcome was reached at the end. Your description of other incidents in the match is exaggerated all good points.

Lol, the VAR 'quote' was tongue in cheek. Overall the game smacked of the problems you have when you don't want referees to 'ruin the spectacle'. under up with a lot of problems, and then inconsistency when the referee does, with a lack of certainty, try to stamp his authority on the match. It being the referee's first finals match in the HAL may not have helped. Perhaps given him the derby match wasn't the wisest appointment. Even at lower levels we want to 'not ruin the spectacle' of a finals match in particular. I just felt that this approach was the underlying cause of all the areas where the refereeing came up a bit short. I can't help but wonder if he was instructed to 'not ruin the game', thus messing with his normal abilities. The ref in question normally does fine, though he doesn't usually get the really big games.

Although I wonder about the teamwork. There was an attempted hand of god goal, and a corner kick was awarded (the ball missed). I could understand the referee missing it - even a blatant handball can be missed from the wrong angle - but I couldn't for the life of me figure out why the AR wasn't able to help get that one sorted out. The sort of scenario where the AR would need to talk to the ref rather than simply mirror his signal (as you normally would)

Not sure what other incidents you think are exaggerated. Also not sure what other agenda you think I may have. Or should i avoid posting videos of key match incidents? My criticisms have predominantly been of the VAR and the overall culture of the progression pathway.

VAR worked well in this case although what were on the onfield team doing for that, but we all have bad days. The most surprising thing is the weather but I suppose its autumn down there.

People arguing about being sent even when VIDEO FOOTAGE shows you doing what you did.
Just shows what complete liars and cheats are involved in the game. Would stab their granny to get an edge

Back