A&H

I have a BIG problemo!

Steve C

The Unfit one!
As i was handing in my match fee claim form at uni, i bumped into the league coordinator and he wanted a chat.

During said chat, due to the improvements in the referees ive mentored this semester, he had a much bigger task, i have to mentor and coach a newly qualified referee that in his experience so far (2 games);

1 females game (they requested he never reffed them again)
And a male 11 v11 game where he ended the halves after 20 mins believing it was female half lengths amoung other basic mistakes.

he doesnt watch football and he did the course less than a month ago

It got to the point where the league coordinator is close to pulling him off the referee list.

So i have to try and get him up to a relatively good standard, ive suggested watching him for a game and giving him feedback, and then ill volunteer with another to line a game for him, for a more hands on game to take his mind off offsides etc.

Any other ideas? I will welcome them all!

The Referee Store
He doesn't watch football? Oh dear.

Sounds like you have a plan. On top of that I would try and get the guy out watching local games (maybe your games?) get him asking questions about what he sees. Get him all along to the local RA also. Talk him through his past experiences see if he knows where he went wrong?

Good luck.

This begs the question how someone who doesn't watch or know about football made it through the refs course.

I agree with SM, he would probably learn a lot from watching you in action. Might it be an idea to remove him from appointments temporarily so you can work with him

Can I firstly say with the title of this thread I thought somebody had cut their helmet on a can Inbetweeners style.....

I also agree with monkey.

I use this technique with my staff at work at the time, particularly when you get involved with something new or something they are making basic errors with. It's called See; Show; Shoot; Review; Retry; Reflect.

It's pretty much as it says and as you have already said. Let them watch you do something, show them how and why you do it the way you do, let them do it while you observe, give them feedback about the good and bad (make sure you find something good no matter how difficult it may be), let them do it again while you watch to make sure he has adjusted the points you originally made, then allow him to tell you what went well or badly with a bit of guidance. Repeat as required.

I have to say it sounds like you have your work cut out. Do you know why he wants to be a ref if he doesn't watch football? What motivates him? These questions may help you help him also.

Take it as a compliment though - the guy who asked you to do it obviously thinks you're a good role model and mentor.

Best of luck!

Just died at sentence 1 from Regal haha! Struggled to take your post seriously haha! Cheers guys, really helps!

Can I firstly say with the title of this thread I thought somebody had cut their helmet on a can Inbetweeners style.....
I watched this episode a few nights ago - a classic

As i was handing in my match fee claim form at uni, i bumped into the league coordinator and he wanted a chat.

During said chat, due to the improvements in the referees ive mentored this semester, he had a much bigger task, i have to mentor and coach a newly qualified referee that in his experience so far (2 games);

1 females game (they requested he never reffed them again)
And a male 11 v11 game where he ended the halves after 20 mins believing it was female half lengths amoung other basic mistakes.

he doesnt watch football and he did the course less than a month ago

It got to the point where the league coordinator is close to pulling him off the referee list.

So i have to try and get him up to a relatively good standard, ive suggested watching him for a game and giving him feedback, and then ill volunteer with another to line a game for him, for a more hands on game to take his mind off offsides etc.

Any other ideas? I will welcome them all!
If I was faced with this situation I'd start at the start and get him to watch some football. Take him to a uni game and let him watch another referee. Ask him to tell you what he thought the referee did well and what he would do differently if he was refereeing. Ask him to write down all the things he thinks the referee should look after during the game while you write your own list. Get him to talk about which he thinks are important, ask him if he did those things in his games. If he doesn't then talk about setting realistic targets for making sure he does them.

Go watch him referee and coach him at half time and full time. Check his progress against his goals and praise him to hell for getting the smallest of things right. Pick one thing you think he could do better and get him to work on that for his next game. Take him to watch more football. Let him referee a game on his own, go watch him again, go through the same watch, feedback, target, praise and appraise routine. Might take a while but a willing volunteer is better than a thousand conscripts

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SM
I live for those moments when Brian posts essentially what I posted but just fleshes it out some :D

Its like you used my post as a draft!

Inbewhos?

Dear RDO, I hereby resign my position as an official in the Liverpool CFA as I am transferring to the Cook Islands FA. Yours in football, Steve C.

PS my psychiatric bill will be forwaded in due course.

Inbewhos?

Dear RDO, I hereby resign my position as an official in the Liverpool CFA as I am transferring to the Cook Islands FA. Yours in football, Steve C.

PS my psychiatric bill will be forwaded in due course.
You'll be a FIFA official by the summer

Back