A&H

I keep forgetting ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex71

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
Incident in School game yesterday (u15) - but - I've done this too many times now that's bugging me now !

White v Red

White attacking in traffic ... Red player lunges in and catches the White player who falls

I see the foul and blow the whistle

BUT ...

My attention is 99% on the player on the floor perhaps looking for a sign of injury ...

I didn't catch which Red player committed the foul (either to sanction with a card, talk to, or at least to make a note of who it was for totting up purposes)

Does anyone have a 'trick of the trade' - perhaps a quick 1-2-3 step memory jogger - to ensure they capture all elements following a foul !?!?

The Referee Store
it is hard sometimes, just go to the player who committed the foul first, grab his number and then go to injured player (he'll still be there!)

Or, as you blow and make your way over there, shout to the player "Yes please", and his number if you can see it etc. Bring him to one side, then look at the injured player. In other words, isolate the defender, keep him near you, and then aid the attacker. Obviously, you can do this quite quickly, and it doesn't take much time off going to your injured player.

Incident in School game yesterday (u15) - but - I've done this too many times now that's bugging me now !

White v Red

White attacking in traffic ... Red player lunges in and catches the White player who falls

I see the foul and blow the whistle

BUT ...

My attention is 99% on the player on the floor perhaps looking for a sign of injury ...

I didn't catch which Red player committed the foul (either to sanction with a card, talk to, or at least to make a note of who it was for totting up purposes)

Does anyone have a 'trick of the trade' - perhaps a quick 1-2-3 step memory jogger - to ensure they capture all elements following a foul !?!?
Alex .....this is also one of my worst faults , I tend to add it to my pre match instructions to assistants if im lucky enough to have them , to keep an eye on it for me

I'd say just stop the game and deal with offender. The injured players colleagues can deal with him. They should have someone to treat him, its not your job. If injury needs assessing it can be done after misconduct is dealt with

Herts, I know they tend to wander on by themselves sometimes but you are responsible for allowing the trainers on the f.o.p. don't forget ;)

Unless the injury is clearly VERY serious, take the extra second to look at the player who committed the tackle and get something in mind to remember who it was. Chances are, he was hurt but it was nothing that required absolutely immediate attention and so you had a few seconds. Relax and take your time.

It is easy to get caught up in the welfare of the injured player. What I tend to do is go straight over to the offender, get his number and make him aware that you will be dealing with him shortly. Then go and see if the injured player requires treatment. All this only takes a few seconds, and it allows you to focus on the offender.

This happened to me once, reckless tackle, player goes down injured, BUT that player then gets up to confront the other so my attention is drawn to the person who got injured being the secondary aggressor, then I completley forget who tackled him in the first place. It is my intention to caution the first for the reckless tackle and the other for adopting an aggresive attitude. So I caution the player who got fouled first then....

I look towards a group of players, shouting "yes, please" and thankfully the offender walked over very sheepish *phew*

I learnt from that, make sure you get the person who committed the first offence!

It's happened to me twice.

Once, as p4yno said, I shouted "yes please" at a large group of players and one walked over and I thought great. :D

Next time, did the same only no one came over. Another quick shout of "I can stand here all day fellas" summoned a lad from behind me tap me on the shoulder. Looked like a right twit but he confessed to his sins and in the book he went.

Unless the injury is clearly VERY serious, take the extra second to look at the player who committed the tackle and get something in mind to remember who it was. Chances are, he was hurt but it was nothing that required absolutely immediate attention and so you had a few seconds. Relax and take your time.

I agree with Ryan, the Immediate welfare of an Injured player for a <normal> foul would warrant me just have a quick glance/check him over and beckon the trainer on..... then I'm heading toward the offender to deal with him.

If a more serious foul I would note in my head the player involved, deal with the Injured then inform the offender I would like a word.

I suppose we all have different ways.... find your own and do what you feel best. I was assessed by a now retired referee when I was 16 and I remember him telling me, make your decisions... stand by them, be yourself and be honest and that is all you can do.

Had this at the weekend with a NAR. Player through on goal and tripped by a defender, free kick on the edge of the box all day long. Next thing the NAR is flagging like it's the end of days. By the time I've made eye contact with him and he's gestured for me to come over I've completely lost sight of the offending player in a group of about 6 of his teams mates. Annoyingly all the assistant wanted to tell me it was a free kick on the edge of the box.

Last edited:
You wanted an A-B-C, so here you go.....

A - Acknowledge original offender by calling him over as your first action
B - Beckon on assistance if required
C - Conduct disciplinary sanctions as required (from harsh talking to, to sending off)

I did kinda make that up though to be honest.....

A similar thing happened to me last season but it was for a really obvious tug on a shirt by the defender on the half way line as the attacker stumbled but still broke away.
I shouted "advantage play on" whilst making a "note to self" to caution said defender when play next stopped. The attacking player carried the ball downfield, into the penalty area and squared it for a team mate to score. On the way back to the centre circle, so smug with myself was I for the excellent advantage I'd played, I forgot which player it was I'd decided to caution and so had to let it go. Luckily I wasn't being assessed and the goal celebration distracted anybody who might have been wise to my little error!! :oops: :rolleyes:

Nice to know this happens to lots of us. Must be some short circuit takes place in the brain. I've had a couple of these - see the foul, tell myself which player I'm having - and then when all else has been dealt with, he's completely out of my mind. Feels like I've been bamboozled by Derren Brown.

Not so bad at this when it's just one person, but when more players get involved, I completely forget who it is I'm booking.

Also, pretty terrible at remembering the player after playing an advantage. Ball will go out of play and I'm looking around for someone to caution. Probably my proudest moment was cautioning a player after playing advantage and the ball had stayed in play for a good 5 minutes.

Maybe quickly write the number on your hand or in your notebook (if you can without looking) for those 'advantage from a card' scenarios.

I use "Number X, I'm coming back for you, and we're playing on, ADVANTAGE" for situations like that...

I find that repeating that "number X" part to myself a couple of times solidifies it in my head too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back