A&H

I thought i had heard it all.....till today

mikedn

Referee/Mentor
Before K.O. Home team manager warns me his team gets bit gobby at times so i warn them all any back chat,swearing or arguing at me will earn you a yellow. By the end of the game i have cautioned 4 players for C2.
Told the manager after the match that i did warn them... So here it comes.... he then says to me "Are you actually going to send them in? i thought you only done it to shut them up" To which i told him they would all definatley be going in. And one of the cautioned players even said to me "i didn't know you can get booked for arguing with the ref"

The Referee Store
2 weeks ago as we're walking off the pitch after the game, a lad who had been subbed comes out with 'Well I can say what I want now because the games over AND I was subbed'.

He was joking about saying something but genuinely believed that this would actually give him immunity!

Professional football and the excessive tolerance levels of referees at that level has a lot to answer for. :confused:

Tbh if I was being paid 6 figures to referee then there'd not be many things you could call me that would bother me haha

I had a player/manager approach me before KO two weeks ago, "I'm not the captain but I'm the manager can I talk to you during the game" - " Of course you can talk, I'll treat you like ever other player on the pitch"

My first C2 of the season.

Did anyone read that thing on sky sports where the rugby league referee said he would like to try his hand at football reffing...
I would LOOOOOVE to see that ! They'd be five a side by half time -
But it should happen !

It's not going to be far away from 6 figures of its not over.

Funny though. Some players earn triple a referees annual salary per week.

Are there any regularly playing players in the top flight earning less than a referee?

Are there any regularly playing players in the top flight earning less than a referee?

Stay on the OP please ;):hmmm::D

Reactions: SM
So i warn them all any back chat,swearing or arguing at me will earn you a yellow."

A brave statement.

I used to say in the captains speech I was 'zero tolerance on dissent', but I cut that out. Thought it sounded a bit arrogant.

I switched it for a different tact 'you won't see me kick the ball today, so I don't expect anybody to tell me how to referee'. Seems to have a much better effect.

Perhaps a different tact with the captains would have had a bigger impact.

In all seriousness though absolutely not - if the top refs were earning £150k each per year the players would have to be on less than £3k a week, and the reserve reserves are on that in the PL.

One line I've borrowed from someone else I've heard this season is 'If I call you in then it's to help your teammate, just agree with me for that 30 seconds while you're both in and we'll discuss it later....'

Every skipper takes it on board and realises it's a mean to an ends.

One line I've borrowed from someone else I've heard this season is 'If I call you in then it's to help your teammate, just agree with me for that 30 seconds while you're both in and we'll discuss it later....'

Every skipper takes it on board and realises it's a mean to an ends.
Interesting. Do you add the second part? "If I call you in and you don't back me up, I'm not going to call you in again..."

Back