A&H

I was a little confused.

Mick.

RefChat Addict
Helped out on an U12 match today as there was no ref appointed. Claret defender takes the legs away of a red attacker in the penalty box. No complaints from the Clarets for this decision.
Red kicker steps up to take the penalty and as he is about half-way through his run to the ball one of his team steps into the box in a clear infringement. Ball goes into the net and red start to celebrate. I immediately blow my whistle and indicate that the goal is disallowed. Then I had a brain fart. I knew that for an infringement by the attackers you could give an IDFK. So that is what I did. IDFK to Clarets.
Red coach questioned whether it should be a retake. I told him no, that would be if it was saved and the infringement had been by the defenders.
That then left me thinking that where as I had been 90% happy with my decision I was now 75% happy. At half time, I was informed by the red coach that one of his spectators was an ex-professional referee (aren't they all) and that he had said that I had got it wrong and that it should have been a retake. Now I was only 50% happy.
As soon as I got home I checked it out. Damn. They were right. Retake by attack. The IDFK was for when the kicker touched the ball again, or for when an infringing attacker touched the ball after a rebound.
Luckily it didn't make any real difference to the match. The final score was 6-0 to the reds. However, it would have been the second goal and could easily have caused problems if Clarets had managed to come back after the first goal.
As a result I will make sure that I regularly revise my LOTG rather than carry on and wait until the odder situations arise. Lesson learned.:oops:

The Referee Store
I find it amazing how often in a match situation I forget how to treat a scenario that I would have no trouble deciding on if I were just a spectator.

Being a referee, no matter home much you may be enjoying the game, is a pressurised situation and mistakes come about as a result.

Two weeks ago I did an U14 game and after tossing the coin gave the losers of the toss the option of choosing which way to kick and the winners the kick off....yet I know which way it should have been. Even one of the captains giving me a funny look didn't make the penny drop!

It only dawned on me at the start of the second half.

Back