A&H

IDFK taken whilst substitute is happening

Trueman1991

Level 5 Referee
Had a situation in my match today where I gave offside.

After I had given offside I was having a chat with a player regarding a few tackles and was making sure ball was correctly positioned (no ARs)

During this time I didn't realise the team who had the IDFK were making a sub. I blew the whistle and the IDFK was taken, it then quickly went out for a throw to the other team.

This caused complaints from the team who were making the sub, I apologised said I hadn't realised they were making the sub. They then asked for play to be pulled back to the IDFK. I refused, in my view they had the IDFK and didn't have to take it until the sub was completed.

Should I have pulled the game back to the IDFK?
If they hadn't of lost possession so quickly I'm sure they wouldn't of said anything.

The Referee Store
Oooh! Did they ask permission? If not that could be a couple of yellows for leaving and entering the fop without!

They had asked for permission for all other subs. Not this one, or they assumed I gave it when I blew for the free kick to be taken

I didn't even think about that at the time. To be honest I probably would have decided against a yellow even if I had thought about it

Minty is right, by the LOTG both the player being replaced and the player coming could/should have been given a yellow.

Could, but not should. They probably thought that the whistle was cue for the permission to change, so cautioning would be an overreaction.
Yes but a good reason to sell what ever decision you make as you decide not to card........not often we can be the good guy

I'm confused, I thought the practice for subs was that you have to go over to the halfway line and do the procedure properly. Were you not doing this and waving them on from where you stood?

I'm just thinking if you were going to the halfway line and managing the previous subs, then they would have waited as they'd be expecting you to come over and deal with this one as well instead of just throwing them on.

I think I would have pulled it back to the IDFK, held my hands up and said there was a communication error and then go from there with the subs etc. Otherwise you've allowed play to go on with potentially 12 players for one side on the pitch no? Apologies if I misunderstand though.

I'm confused, I thought the practice for subs was that you have to go over to the halfway line and do the procedure properly. Were you not doing this and waving them on from where you stood?

I'm just thinking if you were going to the halfway line and managing the previous subs, then they would have waited as they'd be expecting you to come over and deal with this one as well instead of just throwing them on.

I think I would have pulled it back to the IDFK, held my hands up and said there was a communication error and then go from there with the subs etc. Otherwise you've allowed play to go on with potentially 12 players for one side on the pitch no? Apologies if I misunderstand though.
I must have had 15 repeat subs today. The process went well for the first half a dozen or so, before I eventually lost enthusiasm. Some teams make so many changes, the teams never have chance to settle

I was waving them on from where I was, it was return subsitions so i monitored it from there.

All other subs were fine as they were waiting for the whistle, and for me to put the thumbs up to the bench, therefore I put it down to the confusion of me whistling for the free kick.

They had 11 on the pitch as the player leaving hadn't actually gone off as of yet. They were just in the process so the player was out of position and some of the team not expecting it. Therefore the yellow for leaving / entering FoP wouldn't apply thinking about it.

I think at kids level where after say 20 mins or so there is literally a sub every 4-5 minutes you just wave them on from wherever you are.

No, you did the right thing in refusing to retake the IFK
As others said, the players could be cautioned...given it's grassroots and it's just a misunderstanding I think you're fine to not give the caution, but you'd want to make sure you're advising them to make sure you've given the clear signal first.

Agree with Capn. There was nothing wrong with the restart so no need to retake. The problem was with the substitution.

Also just reminding them to ask permission is pretty standard if you are not going to caution. If genuinely an innocent error, you can just manage it. Examples I can think of when you must caution: they do it knowingly and ignore your authority. When they do it to gain an advantage on a quick restart. E.g., one player comes off from far side and the subs comes in from TA near where a QFK is being taken.

You really shouldn't have apologised, it makes it look as though you have done something wrong, which you haven't. They were in the wrong for subbing without permission and I fully agree that either cards need to be given or very strong words about substitution procedures to coach. Here in Australia we use "interchange" subs a great deal and it is fully acceptable to just wave them on from where ever you are on the pitch, but because of this it is crucial that they learn to wait for a signal from you. And asking to retake the free kick is just pure cheek.

Had a situation in my match today where I gave offside.

After I had given offside I was having a chat with a player regarding a few tackles and was making sure ball was correctly positioned (no ARs)

During this time I didn't realise the team who had the IDFK were making a sub. I blew the whistle and the IDFK was taken, it then quickly went out for a throw to the other team.

This caused complaints from the team who were making the sub, I apologised said I hadn't realised they were making the sub. They then asked for play to be pulled back to the IDFK. I refused, in my view they had the IDFK and didn't have to take it until the sub was completed.

Should I have pulled the game back to the IDFK?
If they hadn't of lost possession so quickly I'm sure they wouldn't of said anything.
If they entered/left the FOP without permission of the CR then both are YC offenses. Depends on the level how you handle it but NO. Their misconduct is not grounds for pulling it back to the IFK.

Grassroots level - "you guys were subbing without permission? That's on you guys. Technically that's two yellows for entering/leaving. Let's be sure to wait to make sure to get my attention and permission BEFORE subbing from here on out ok?" High level, tournament, etc. .... probably should be giving the YC's or the other coach/manager will go nuts

Last edited:
Back