A&H

IFAB law changes 1/7/21

Degnann

As incompetent as the last ref
Level 4 Referee

The Referee Store
IFAB says competitions will retain the flexibility to introduce changes prior to the July 1 date.
What does that mean exactly?

IFAB says competitions will retain the flexibility to introduce changes prior to the July 1 date.
What does that mean exactly?

i guess that if the PL wanted to adopt this new law now, they could, rather than wait till next season

Reactions: one
Wonder what next week's 'clarification' will be? :rolleyes:

As mentioned in another thread, much as I hate the ignorance of those who work in the game about the LOTG, its hardly surprising with the number of changes over the last few years.

I presume you still can't actually score a goal with an accidental handball nor indeed if your own accidental handball leads to you scoring yourself?

Beyond parody now really. On past history I can't see how 'adaptation' ever means 'simplify' and since when have 'innovations' ever been cheaper to use than the original system - which it is claimed will allow more competitions with 'limited' budgets to use VAR

Whoopeee!

Wonder what next week's 'clarification' will be? :rolleyes:

As mentioned in another thread, much as I hate the ignorance of those who work in the game about the LOTG, its hardly surprising with the number of changes over the last few years.

I presume you still can't actually score a goal with an accidental handball nor indeed if your own accidental handball leads to you scoring yourself?
Here's the IFAB release: https://www.theifab.com/news/annual-general-meeting-2021

It also appears that above-the-shoulder is gone from handling. And "unnatural position" is being more detailed as "touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation. By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised"

they also codified use of the armpit/arm definition for Law 11 and finally actually addressed the GK headed back to the GK

FIFA say that the so-called 'daylight' offside trails will lead to more attacking football and they've analysed previous offside decisions to come to this conclusion. What they've failed to consider is how teams will adapt to these changes - of course teams will change the way they defend.

These changes will disadvantage teams with high defensive lines and reward teams will deep defensive lines. Eventually, most teams will play with deeper defensive lines and football will become more defensive not more attacking.

I'm just glad they're trialling the idea rather than unilaterally implementing it like they did with handball. Hopefully, they'll trial it for long enough to see that football won't magically become more attacking with these changes.

Here's the IFAB release: https://www.theifab.com/news/annual-general-meeting-2021

It also appears that above-the-shoulder is gone from handling. And "unnatural position" is being more detailed as "touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation. By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised"

they also codified use of the armpit/arm definition for Law 11 and finally actually addressed the GK headed back to the GK
Thanks for the full release

Leaving to one side the process being followed and the confusion caused by frequent 'tinkering', this feels like a positive set of changes overall. Whilst personally I would do away altogethe with penalising accidental attacking handball, the upcoming change at least minimises its impact and is more in line with 'what football expects'. Likewise, an appreciation that players move their arms quite naturally when in motion should do away with the harsh handballs currently occurring because players arms are away from their body solely because they are running. And maybe even allow defenders to have their hands naturally by their sides when stationary rather than the ridiculous sight of them putting their hands 'unnaturally' behind their back!!

It seems to me one of the big changes (whiplash anyone?) is more judgment for the ref. This seems radical to me from the changes that had been doing so much to try to make things objective. And with that increase in judgment, we should see a decrease in VAR intervention, as less is C&O when more judgment is introduced.

Via Jan, this is the HB text:

—-
As the interpretation of handball incidents has not always been consistent due to incorrect applications of the Law, the members confirmed that not every touch of a player’s hand/arm with the ball is an offence. In terms of the criterion of the hand/arm making a player’s body “unnaturally bigger”, it was confirmed that referees should continue to use their judgment in determining the validity of the hand/arm’s position in relation to the player’s movement in that specific situation.

Following this clarification, it is a handball offence if a player:

• deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, for example moving the hand/arm towards the ball;
  • touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation. By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised; or
  • scores in the opponents’ goal:
    • directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper; or
    • immediately after the ball has touched their hand/arm, even if accidental.
Accidental handball that leads to a team-mate scoring a goal or having a goal-scoring opportunity will no longer be considered an offence—-

ACCIDENTAL FULHAM HOW DO YOU FEEL!!!!?

JUSTIFIABLE WTF... that is so much trouble in a totally new word/concept for the LotG!!!

Now known as the LOLotG!

Still not completely happy with the handball law but a big step in the right direction for me. The excptions complexity is gone. And the referee has more discretion in judging it with guidance from the law with the guidance being much simpler.

To summarise it, handball is an offence if
  • It's a deliberate touch
  • Not deliberate touch but the player takes a deliberate risk with arm position
  • Not deliberate touch or deliberate risk (accidental), but player immediately scores a goal.

Last edited:
Still not completely happy with the handball law but a big step in the right direction for me. The excptions complexity is gone. And the referee has more discretion in judging it with guidance from the law with the guidance being much simpler.

To summarise it, handball is an offence if
  • It's a deliberate touch
  • Not deliberate touch but the player takes a deliberate risk with arm position
  • Not deliberate touch or deliberate risk (accidental), but player immediately scores a goal.
Or a non-accidental assist!

Does this clarification start now?

Or a non-accidental assist!

Does this clarification start now?
Not sure what you mean. If by non-accidental you mean deliberate then it's an offence, assist or not.
Accidental assists are no longer offences. It's pretty clear to me.

Back