A&H

In the Family

micky2001

So my brother is a few years my junior and still plays in one of the local leagues that just so happens to be the league I referee in. I was asked to do a friendly game for his team last week however, I already had my own game so couldn't, however, if it was a league game that I was appointed to officiate in, do you think I should take it? I would of course be be fair and honest with regard to decisions, but I would only be worried about the fact that it may give the opportunity for complaints and awkward situations should someone find out.

The Referee Store
Normally when you sign up to a league, they ask if you have any connections with any clubs in it. Well in my experience they have anyway. I would just let the league know, and they shouldn't appoint you to any of his games

That's the case in my league too, Ross. That process isn't fool proof unfortunately and I was appointed to ref my brothers U18 game early this season; I also coach the team so it really wasn't ideal.

I did choose to ref the game because the league couldn't find another ref. I explained my position to the opposition manager, who luckily I've known for a few years and he was more than happy for me to do the game. In the end, it was a really easy game to ref.

If you really have to do the game, just be honest with the managers. Referee as you normally would and take the emotion out of it. I warned my brother before not to do anything stupid, because I would treat him like any other player. :D

I have refereed my brothers game before only because by the time the email from full time came through it was too late to cancel. (I only get told the home team by text)

I explained to the manager and made sure I treated my brother the same as any other player. The manager had no issue with it but afterward I told the referee secretary that if at all possible could she avoid giving me his games.

I have refereed my brothers game before only because by the time the email from full time came through it was too late to cancel. (I only get told the home team by text)

I explained to the manager and made sure I treated my brother the same as any other player. The manager had no issue with it but afterward I told the referee secretary that if at all possible could she avoid giving me his games.
My brother doesn't play football, but if he did and I reffed him, he would probably end up being sent off!

not the same issue but i've reffed the football section of the club i play cricket for this season. i informed the secretary but there was no conflict of interest so i took the game and it was an easy one.

i actually find i get a little more respect from people who know who i am or have at least come across me before.

One of the teams I had on saturday contained five players I knew quite well from school, something I only found out when I arrived and something they were as surprised about as me, and there was no issue. I had a friendly chat with them pre match but once the game started I got on with my job and they got on with theirs. Obviously it's different from a family situation but at the very least every referee should be impartial regardless of who they are refereeing.

PS - their team won so that might have helped post match ;)

Back