A&H

Instructions to assistants?

Andi Keats

Evening Guys & Girls
I have a game this week with neutral assistants and was wondering about a few things. Previsously for me when assisting, the referee has advised to go with his signal then I would signal unless he is unsighted, however what happens if in my game this week if I am unsighted and the assistant is waiting for my signal?
I have thought about looking directly at them (eye to eye contact) if I am unsure so that the players do not know but are there any tips about what I should say or tips on how to communicate correctly and efficiently?
Thanks

The Referee Store
Plenty of eye contact is key. When I have NAR's ( doesn't happen often) I tend to signal what way I'm going as early as possible, by sticking my arm out in the direction needed, but keeping it low. Then once the ball is out of play, I signal fully. My assistant should see this early signal and go with me.

If I need help on a decision, I will look at my assistant, hopefully they will have the flag in the correct hand for whatever direction the throw is going, I will then go with them.

Hopefully this makes sense, if not I blame tiredness as I've been out working pretty much solid for the last 48 hours

Thanks Ross, that helps a lot... I just didn't want a situation where we are both left looking at each other haha!!

As an AR you naturally put the flag in the hand of the direction you intend to go (although goalkicks and corners are the same hand and so body language is more important). As the ref, I lead by showing my AR an open palm close to the body (if the AR looks blank at me). If the AR is leading opposite (and I think I'm right) I'll go early with full arm and shout the decision as well. Hopefully they'll change and reciprocate. If you do go opposite, make sure in your pre-match that you ask them to drop the flag and NOT go the other way, and then leave the decision to you. You can always talk any direction up as the correct one, 'cause you're the ref! Even a bit of humilty once in a while can be appreciated!!

1. Offisde

- All your’s - I’m not going against you

- If there is an advantage, e.g it goes to the keeper, I’ll wave play one, and will try and remember to give you thumbs up, then you drop you’r flag.

- If I miss you’r flag – keep it up, shout if you need to, and I’ll bring play back for the offside.

- Stand still with flag in the air, give are after the whistle.

2. Goal Kicks

- Make sure its in the 6yd box and stationery, make sure its out of 18yd box, sprint to second to last defender.

- Do this for the first phew kicks, if their ok,do it at random after.

- Talk to the keeper before you get me involved.

3. Corner

- You’r side – I’ll go with you, my side – I’ll make the call. If I’m not sure I’ll look at you. If you don’t know, leave it to me.

- Stand behind corner flag.

- On you;r side, make sure the ball is in the quater circle.

4. Throw Ins

- You’r third, I’ll go with you, my third you go with me, in the middle, we’ll look at eachother – make eye contact.

- You watch the feet, I’ll watch the hands - unless its obvious, I’m not too bothered – try and coach instead of penalise the first time.

5. Free Kicks

- If you see a foul, have a look at me first, If I’m there, and have seen it, go with me, I like a physical match, and like to play advantage, so have a look first. If I’m ages away, flag. Don’t be offended if I wave you down, or play on!

- If its and obvious DOGSO, foul or handball and I don’t card – flag up and I’ll come over. Make sure you have the number – no point calling me over if theres no number.

6. Penalties

*1 of three things will happen*

1. – I will be there and giving it.

2. – I will be waving it away.

3. – I won’t have a clue, and will be looking at you, if its a penalty, flag accross chest, if not, shake your head discreetly.

If its an obvious DOGSO that Ive missed, flag it regardless of where I am.

I will probably come over to you if you have made a penalty call.

7. Substitutions

- Half way line – Make sure that one goes off before the other comes on.

- Make sure you get the name + number of those coming on and off.

- Obviously only do it in a stoppage.

- Have a quick chek of boots, shin pads and jewelery before they come on. Make sure the player coming off puts on a bib, top etc.

8. Techincal Area

- Make sure that there are only 2 standing – but be reasonable, use common sense – not to bothere if theres more, but once their being a problem – get them to sit down.

- You talk to them first, if they persist, flag up and get me over.

9. Match Brawl

- If there is a match brawl, come onto the pitch and form a triangle, be an extra pair of eyes – look out for numbers.

- After the brawl, I will come and consult with both of you, tell you what Ive seen, and ask if you’ve seen anything else.

- Don’t get involved in the brawl – let them sort it out.

10.Injuries

- Make sure they wait for the signal from me before trainer comes on.

- Once their off, iff they are ready to come on, and I can’t see, as long as play is away from the area, you let them on.

- You check for blood if Ive sent them to clean blood up.
- If there is a head injury that I have missed, then let the trainer on.
- In the event of needing an Ambulance, you note the time that play was stopped.

11.Senior

- Home dugout.
- Do all the writing.
- On iff I’m off.
- Junior to make note of goals.

12.Time

- You keep you’r watch going throughout the match.

I will try and support you in any decision you make!

Ok with flaging technique? Any Questions?
Out, check nets, flag up, run toward center togeather, toss.
Both of you take evrything out with you.
[/QUOTE]

Quote from my instructions that I give. Hope they are of some help :).

2. Goal Kicks

- Make sure its in the 6yd box and stationery, make sure its out of 18yd box, sprint to second to last defender.

- Do this for the first phew kicks, if their ok,do it at random after.

- Talk to the keeper before you get me involved.

Slight mistake there mate there is nothing within the laws of the game that states from a goal kick the ball has to be stationary

6. Penalties

*1 of three things will happen*

1. – I will be there and giving it.

2. – I will be waving it away.

3. – I won’t have a clue, and will be looking at you, if its a penalty, flag accross chest, if not, shake your head discreetly.

If its an obvious DOGSO that Ive missed, flag it regardless of where I am.

I will probably come over to you if you have made a penalty call.

Suggest you revisit the "flag across chest" part......no longer in the LOTG as an approved AR signal.

The correct method for an AR to signal that a foul was committed inside the PA is to flag then "move visibly down the touchline to the corner flag".

8. Techincal Area

- Make sure that there are only 2 standing – but be reasonable, use common sense – not to bothere if theres more, but once their being a problem – get them to sit down.

- You talk to them first, if they persist, flag up and get me over.

I tell my Senior AR's that if they are calling me over to deal with a technical area, it is to remove someone.....use the "Ask, Tell, Remove" policy.

- If there is a match brawl, come onto the pitch and form a triangle, be an extra pair of eyes – look out for numbers.

- After the brawl, I will come and consult with both of you, tell you what Ive seen, and ask if you’ve seen anything else.

- Don’t get involved in the brawl – let them sort it out.

I want the 2 that started it....and the 2 that came furthest to get involved.

12.Time

- You keep you’r watch going throughout the match.

I have Jnr AR keep their watch running throughout, and Snr stop/start in line with mine.

Suggest you revisit the "flag across chest" part......no longer in the LOTG as an approved AR signal.

The correct method for an AR to signal that a foul was committed inside the PA is to flag then "move visibly down the touchline to the corner flag".

I tell my Senior AR's that if they are calling me over to deal with a technical area, it is to remove someone.....use the "Ask, Tell, Remove" policy.

I want the 2 that started it....and the 2 that came furthest to get involved.

I have Jnr AR keep their watch running throughout, and Snr stop/start in line with mine.

Fair enough. I simply use the flag accross chest method because its what every ref I've been with has told me to do, and its a signal I'm familiar with. Once I get picked up about it or get regular assistants, I will eventualy have to change. Playing the laws a bit there :L

See, this is where I struggle.. Having not had NAR's very often, trying to encapsulate everything is quite hard and I never know quite what to say. Plus, I don't want to be someone with a big list in my hands and go through it all, but I don't know.. Anything I can do, especially seen as I have my cup final coming up soon and I want to seem assured in giving my instructions (first impressions and all that..)?

I would have no problem in getting my list out, especialy if its a cup final, and one of you;r firsts with NAR's. it shows that you are prepared, and want to ensure that you've covered everything.

I can guarantee you that they will be angryer (spelling?) at being droped witha situation that you had not told them in your instructions, than they would be if you had a list out. Also, its going to look much worse if you have to come in at half time, or even after a warm up, and tell them something you forgott to say earlier. At least if you use a list, you know that you have covered everything, all in one go :)

The other option, is to make a list, and learn it?

Hmm, I suppose so. I may have a look at some neutral instructions and kind of make a condensed version so i'm not rambling forever but get the points across that I need to. Plus, I do have the memory of a fish so something a kin to a list would be pretty handy for when I do have assistants (which is once in a blue moon anyway!).
I've also got a 4th official on Wednesday for my final, anyone else had one in the past? I suppose they can deal with subs and the benches etc?

I've been out with a guy that hands you an A5 laminated card with his instructions on it, I've still got it somewhere

Haha, well I won't be doing that Ross.. That is for sure. I wouldn't quite know what to think if I got given that.

Ever had a 4th man Ross? Need some advice on that one..

Once. His job was to control the technical areas. As well as take care of subs. If he couldn't control the TA's and felt he needed help from me, I was called over for removal from the TA only. Got my 4th official to keep a complete log of the game.

Hmm, that sounds all good. Atleast I won't have to worry about any of the subs then I suppose. Good in the way that you can just concentrate on the game of football at hand and not the dugouts etc.

This is something I keep in my bag. I cut it down, laminated it and when I do a game with NAR (which isn't many) I use it. It's just something to prompt me until I know it off by heart.

I have a lot of different forms and pointers if any one needs stuff such as notebook forms (referee and 4th official) and tips from my days as the VC of Malvern RA

Attachments

• Pre Match Instructions.doc
    24.5 KB · Views: 68
borrowed this from a friend but it's that "in depth" i couldn't help but use it
1. Pre-match – third team, work together, warm-up
a. Third team – you’ve reached the final just like the players, based on your ability and have earned your appointments so well done
b. Work together – both teams will want to win and the only friends out on the field are your colleagues so look after each other
c. Warm-up – it’s an easy trick to impress those who watch all their football on the tv. To the experienced eye, it shows you are taking this game as seriously as the players
d. Appoint a senior assistant who will replace you if you can’t continue for any reason
e. Your senior writes down everything you write down while your junior keeps an eye on all the players while you and the senior assistant are writing
f. The junior assistant should record times of all the goals, while you and your senior assistant watch the players

2. Admin - team-sheet, jewellery and boot check
a. Team sheets – ask for them about 30 minutes before kick off but if they aren’t provided then you want the name of all the players, especially if it is roll on-roll off subs. Write them all in your notebook so that it makes your cautioning easier
b. Jewellery – no player wears a single item. This is a time to establish your authority
c. Boot check – a time to mix with the players, maybe make a joke or two to relax them and you

3. Entrance – together, check nets, witness toss, into position
a. Enter the field by leading the teams out like they do for Champions League games. Tell the managers 30 minutes before kick off that is how they will enter the field. Do the Respect handshake with the home team shaking your hands, your assistants and the away team. The away team then shake your hands and your assistants
b. Check nets – assistants break and check that nets are pegged down. They are responsible for letting you know if there is a problem but they should also resolve any issues with their net
c. Witness toss – winner of toss chooses direction to play, loser kicks off
d. Position – shake hands with your assistants and they move to their patrol path. They should run right wings, that means covering from the halfway line to the corner flag, alongside the left backs

4. Offside – see, acknowledge, miss
a. If you think there’s been an offside offence, just have a glance to your assistant
b. This is really important just after every goal, check your assistant isn’t signalling that an infringement has occurred
c. Explain offside using PIG, player in an offside position when the ball is last touched/played by a team mate but ask them to “wait and see” if two players are going for the ball at the same time, one offside one not and the one offside
i. Plays the ball
ii. Interferes with an opponent by distracting them or preventing them from playing the ball
iii. Gains an advantage by getting the ball from a rebound off the goalkeeper or goal frame
d. You will see the assistant’s signal, stop play, they indicate far, middle or near, ball down, indirect free kick signal (arm straight up and stays up until someone else plays the ball after the free kick or it goes out of play), restart the game with a blast on your whistle
e. You will miss them, they need to maintain their signal until you see them, then it’s as per d above
f. You will see them but the ball is going to the goalkeeper with no one else near, then just play advantage to the goalkeeper. If an attacker is near, then stop play as per d above

5. Throw-ins – thirds, leading, eye contact
a. Divide the touchline into thirds
b. In their third, they signal and unless they are really obviously wrong, you go with them
c. In your third, they go with your direction every time
d. In the middle third, you indicate which direction and use eye contact to lead them or point the direction at waist level. Take your time and both go the same way

6. Corners – ball in arc, behind flag both sides unless called
a. Assistant to check the ball is in the arc and stand behind the corner flag when the kick is on their side
b. Assistant to stand behind the corner flag when the kick is on the opposite side from them
c. They are to watch for the ball crossing the goal line for a goal, goal kick or corner kick

7. Goal kicks – check 1st kick in each half
a. Check the 1st kick in each half from in line with the goal area
b. Check other kicks from in line with the penalty area

8. Fouls & Misconduct – tempo management, credibility, advantage, cards
a. Tempo management – assistants need to gauge your tolerance level for fouls and help you out
b. Credibility – they really should only give signals for free kicks which occur within 15m or so from their position
c. Advantage – if they indicate a free kick should be given, but you play advantage, they need to keep moving
d. Cards – if they want you to issue a card, they need to tell you who did what and what they think should happen
e. At free kicks, if it’s near their position ask them to watch the ball to make sure it isn’t moved while you walk out the 9.15m

9. Penalties – yes, no or help; goal line judge, infringements
a. Yes – you give the penalty and they shouldn’t attempt to over rule you
b. No – you cut the grass and they shouldn’t come in with a signal unless someone has punched someone else behind your back
c. Help – you know something happened. If they think it’s a penalty, they should give the signal of flag horizontal across their chest, level with the top of their shirt pocket
d. Goal line judge – they move to a place on the goal line halfway between where the goal line touches the lines marking the outer edge of the goal areas and penalty areas
e. They need to see if the ball crosses the goal line for a goal and/or the goal keeper moves more than 1m off his line before the ball is kicked. If he does, they should stand still and let you know you need a re-take, if it was saved

10. Mass confrontations – observe, runners, come together
a. If one happens, you and they should observe who is doing what – form a triangle around the incident
b. The one nearest the technical areas should ensure no one runs on from there
c. When it all calms down you come together
d. You work out your dismissals first and then your cautions
e. Send away team players off first and home team players off second
f. Allow a delay between sending them so they don’t start fighting again
g. If you feel you will not be able to regain control, especially if spectators have entered the field, then consider abandoning the game

11. Benches – manage, if not possible, bring me over
a. Technical areas – put your most senior person next to them
b. They should attempt to manage any misconduct by the managers/coaches/subs
c. If they can’t, then they should call you over
d. You issue one warning and any further infringements, bin them!

12. Substitutions – one off, one on; named, jewellery and boot check
a. Control them by only allowing the sub to enter the field when the player he is replacing has left the field
b. Your assistant needs to check they were named before kick off
c. Re-do the jewellery and boot check for the sub joining the game, even if they have been on before

13. Time down
a. Near the end of each half, tell your senior assistant how much added time you will be playing so he can tell the managers
b. This is the minimum you will play

14. Exit – half time, come together, no discussion
a. Half time – assistants should run to your position so they can act as witness if anyone says anything to you
b. Don’t enter into any discussion on the field, just offer to talk to the person 15 minutes after the game has finished

15. Second half – substitutions, check nets
a. Second half – check there’s no substitutions being made
b. Assistants to check nets again as per 3d above

16. Same sides unless there’s a problem
a. Assistants to stay on same side so they will have a new defence to look after
b. Only change this if one assistant is getting a lot of grief from people around him

17. Exit – full time, come together, no discussion
a. Full time – assistants should run to your position so they can act as witness if anyone says anything to you
b. Don’t enter into any discussion on the field, just offer to talk to the person 15 minutes after the game has finished

18. Presentation
a. Officials usually presented with mementos of the game
b. You lead your team up
c. Then stand away form the presentation area but applaud both teams not matter how well they behaved

19. Feedback – private and open
a. After the game ask your assistants if there were any mistakes and listen carefully so you understand why the other official feels differently about one of your decisions
b. Don’t be afraid to ask questions or challenge their statement so you understand better
c. This discussion takes place in private

This is for NAR's by the way

You mean this thread? http://www.refchat.co.uk/threads/neutral-assistant-instructions.83/ :p

To be honest, when briefing CAR's i keep it as simple as possible, dont tell them any more than you need to, as to be honest, most dont really want to do it anyway

With NAR's, i did have a laminate that i used to hand out, but to be fair it went along the lines of
"Youre referees, just with a flag. If you see it, give it, i dont want first bite, just be mindful that i may want to play advantage, so eye contact is key."

There is obviously more to it than above, but i dont like to lecture, and to be honest, never really had NAR's that often :(

Back