A&H

Interesting article

TSHudson

Level 6 Referee
I found this article very interesting. I didn't see the incident, but praise rightly goes to Coote for how the situation was managed.

Reactions: one
The Referee Store
You shouldn't be producing a card unless you're sure it's a yellow. Once that yellow is in your hand, it should be used otherwise you're just shooting yourself in the foot.

I understand exceptional circumstances exist and that's different, but in terms of challenges, if you're not sure don't sanction it.

At the end of the day it comes down to you be the referee and sole decision maker. If you are sure you've made a mistake, acknowledge it and do what you need to, in order to set it right.

If you're confident that it's a caution or red, stick to it though. It helps to communicate and apologise to the player. If I was the referee, I'd say to Declan "sorry mate, I know you've both got good intentions of going for the ball but it has to be a yellow, I can't help you here."

Just a willingness to listen to players and respond in the right manner earns you a lot of respect and match control, even if you do give that card.

Back