A&H

Interesting Referee Ruling Derby v Bournemouth

Mills

Level 7 Referee
Hi all,

Came across this forum and whilst I do not referee myself (Although I am considering going on this Basic course), thought I would query a decision that I saw last month at the iPro. I'm a Derby County season ticket holder and the following happened:

Johnny Russell goes through one on one with the Bournemouth keeper who comes rushing out of the box. Keeper handles the ball outside the area as Russell gets his shot away but the ball the hit's Russell again and somehow trickles over the line for a goal. Referee points towards the halfway line as if a goal but then goes back on his decision and awards a freekick and sends Lee Camp off for handball.

Has he got it wrong in this situation? I assume you could give the goal and show a yellow to Camp as he never denied a goalscoring opportunity as it still went in, or because of the fact that he parried it away and the ball magically found its way into the net after hitting Russell a second time did he make the correct decision? Either way there was mass confusion through the ground and no one understand still now what happened and what should have happened.

Skip to around 0:20 in this video and you can see what happens fully:

The Referee Store
Absolutely crazy decision. How can you send the keeper off for GOGSO when the goal has been scored. He has also denied Derby a perfectly legitimate goal. Madness !

Absolutely crazy decision. How can you send the keeper off for GOGSO when the goal has been scored. He has also denied Derby a perfectly legitimate goal. Madness !
This is what I thought. Should have been a yellow and a goal for me but oh well, all worked out fine in the end!

Extra ridiculous that he points to the halfway line and starts to run away first!

Looks like he missed the handball and gave a direct free kick against the attacker for a 'foul' on the keeper, then presumably his assistant tells him Camp handled it.

I'd agree, I think the referee blows for a foul. It certainly looks like he does

for me he gave the goal then went back on it... had he given the free kick surely he wouldve either stood still where he was or squeezed the offence... he did neither and curved his run, looking as though he was ready to head back to the halfway line

It's one where the referee needs to explain the call, I think personally he calls a foul on the GK and then the AR alerts him to the handball so he issues a red card for DOGSO-H

I think he's blown for a FK against the attacker at first.

Obviously you wouldn't really blow to give a goal and he does point to the area of the 'offence' straight afterwards. AR must have put him right.

Although it's obviously a counter attack at pace ref is still a fair bit behind play and there are quite a few players between him and the ball, perhaps his view is obstructed.

@Mills who was the Ref out of interest?

Im an afcb supporter but will be unbiased here. Surely its give goal and yellow for unsporting behaviour for the attempt to dogsoh?

Perhaps the football league ordered birmingham to concede a goal or eight to redress the balance, steve :rolleyes:

Just realised that it was a derby goal being talked about so my suggestion doesn't make sense

Still, winning eight to nowt at brum certainly deserves a mention :)

Not a nice situation, but the ref gets it as right as he can.

He saw a foul on the keeper and blew for that (before the ball had gone in) but, after he has blown his whistle, his AR tells him it was DOGSO by hand. Because he has already stopped play before the goal was scored, he can't just allow the goal because technically it hasn't been scored. Therefore, he has no choice but to send of the keeper and give the free kick on the edge of the box.

To be fair it would have been a tricky situation to avoid as the ref would want to give the defensive free kick quickly to nip any potential problems in the bud.

I think you are spot on Owen.

You do have to question the decision to initially give the goal keeper a free kick as the attacker clearly gets to the ball first and then there is contact with the out rushing goal keeper. Anywhere else on the pitch the defender is penalised, if a foul is indeed given. So, if the ref had not given the questionable foul initially, he could have allowed the goal and not had to send off the goal keeper. Seems so simple now!

Me having watched the replay about 10 times certainly does not help me come to this conclusion. :D

I havent seen it, just gone off descriptions of the thread so I didnt know there was a foul on Camp :p

@haywain, posts like that make me wish there was a 'Best Post of the Year' button ;)

just watched it for the first time

what i did notice was how well the referee isolated the keeper before sending him off........not

he looked like a mother duck with lots of little ducklings, heading for bread throwers

hope his assessor pointed that one out to him ;)

Very strange all round this one. Scott Mathieson, the referee, is the most experienced referee currently involved with the PGMOL. He was mic'd up with the assistant, so why he blew for a defensive FK (which he definitely did) so quickly, confuses me. AR would have seen the handball straight away and surely shouted down the mic as such. Very odd!

Very strange all round this one. Scott Mathieson, the referee, is the most experienced referee currently involved with the PGMOL. He was mic'd up with the assistant, so why he blew for a defensive FK (which he definitely did) so quickly, confuses me. AR would have seen the handball straight away and surely shouted down the mic as such. Very odd!
Another thing, shouldn't the AR have flagged for it as well?

Back