A&H

It's a question of Respect...

RegalRef

Politically Incorrect
Had a game this afternoon, U18 ladies.

Game kicks off, and there's an incredibly vocal speccy making his way around around from the side his teams' coaches an fellow speccys are, behind the goal his team is attacking and onto the other side of the pitch where he is pacing the line bellowing instructions.

I make a mental note to deal with it during the first stoppage in play.

That comes 5 minutes in, with a goal to his team.

As the players prepare for the restart, I speak to the coach of the team he's attached to to request he comes back across as is specified in the Respect code of conduct (or so I thought).

He eventually did after some mild protests.

I've looked at it tonight though and can see no mention of anything like that, so have I got the wrong end of the stick (or the wrong stick) or am I not looking hard enough?

The Referee Store
Presuming you're referring to the Respect code of conduct? If so, and you're still unsuccessful try the league rules/handbook. I know one of the youth leagues I served until 12 months or so ago had a specifc rule for spectators - stating that they must only be in the designated area. It was designed to prevent the Dad who stands by the goal "coaching" the 'keeper.

Yeah I found that but to be fair to him he had made it into the designated Speccys section, just on the opposite side of the pitch

In the Girls league I referee on from U10 to Seniors, parents/spectators on one side, club officials on the other side of the pitch. No-one behind the goals. This was re-iterated by the league secretary in an email to all clubs and referees at the start of the season and as such have not had a problem with it yet

Should be in the competition rules somewhere

In the Girls league I referee on from U10 to Seniors, parents/spectators on one side, club officials on the other side of the pitch. No-one behind the goals. This was re-iterated by the league secretary in an email to all clubs and referees at the start of the season and as such have not had a problem with it yet

Just to stress - he walked behind the goal to get to the other side, behind the respect barrier, he didn't stay behind the goal.

That's how it is in my local junior league. One side parents. One side coaches and subs.

Back