A&H

JAP vs ESP Matchday 11 - Gomes (RSA)

The Referee Store
This is a perfect example of why it's so important to have an on-field decision. Because technically this is a factual decision but in reality it was so close where the VAR could have easily decided to stick with the on-field decision because he couldn't tell.

Elephant in the room is the AR didn't make a signal after the goal. He may have done at a later stage once the camera was off him, presumably after a discussion with the referee, but there was no flag for a couple of seconds after the goal.

The image I've seen from behind the corner flag, plus the one on here from above the goal, looks like the right decision was reached.

I haven't watched, but from elsewhere I have been told that the AR raised his flag after the goal was scored (a delay because it was a close call in the APP?), and that the R was preparing for a GK, not a KO, which seems to indicate that a call--belatedly--was made on the field that the ball was out. Which would be supported by what I understand was a VAR signal by the R, which should only have been given if it was a reversal.

So, Germany gets eliminated by a a VAR reversal of an out-of-play decision that was about as close as it can possibly get.

(Yes, I know the rest f the game might have played out differently if the goal had not been awarded . . . just like Mexico might not really have been eliminated by Messi's PK miss . . .)

This is a perfect example of why it's so important to have an on-field decision. Because technically this is a factual decision but in reality it was so close where the VAR could have easily decided to stick with the on-field decision because he couldn't tell.

But did the AR raise the flag? I hear TV pundits saying so, but have not seen any evidence. And that would be the wrong mechanics in any event.

But did the AR raise the flag? I hear TV pundits saying so, but have not seen any evidence. And that would be the wrong mechanics in any event.
Why would it be the wrong mechanic? Itā€™s a flag for the ball leaving the field (which was delayed because it was a close call with a potential goal scoring opportunity)?

Regardless I think itā€™s good that the factually correct decision was reached. Regardless of protocol nitpicking.
Was it though?
Most of the Broadcaster's images were inconclusive but there was one angle which was convincing in terms of whole ball over the line. The image cw posted may not be the furthest the ball travelled. Based on the AR delayed flag, ( and whilst the image posted is great), i'm heavily inclined to say the flag should not have been overruled

Terrible shame the Germans are out

Last edited:
Was it though?
Most of the Broadcaster's images were inconclusive but there was one angle which was convincing in terms of whole ball over the line. The image cw posted may not be the furthest the ball travelled. Based on the AR delayed flag, ( and whilst the image posted is great), i'm heavily inclined to say the flag should not have been overruled

Terrible shame the Germans are out
It was. The moment the players foot meets the ball it cannot travel any further and the image here shows itā€™s got a good fraction of the ball hanging over the line. It would look even more conclusive with an actually true line too! Itā€™s as much a shame theyā€™re out as it is great Japan are in!

Attachments

• 3E8EC8D7-0BDD-45CF-921C-0984218C0F7C.jpeg
    3E8EC8D7-0BDD-45CF-921C-0984218C0F7C.jpeg
    297.5 KB · Views: 4
Iā€™ve seen later frames than that last night. Either way itā€™s fine for the this to be a goal as the AR is on the other side without a clear view.

I canā€™t believe Chris Kamara is still employed. Itā€™s purely for his comedy value, because he doesnā€™t even understand the basics like ball in and out of play. The trouble is, people think he knows what heā€™s talking about. Some of the comments on the twitter feed - ā€œVAR making it up againā€, ā€œtheyā€™ve obviously never played the game!ā€ ā€œwhen did overhanging the line become a thing!ā€ etc are why we get so much grief on a Sunday morning. If ex professional players donā€™t know something this basic then we shouldnā€™t expect the average Sunday morning player to be any better.

I gave up trying to watch the ITV discussion after the game because they seemed obsessed with trying to prove it was a conspiracy to knock Germany out rather than talking about how well Japan played.
For me, they have been the team of the tournament so far, and their fans are incredible. They didnā€™t stop singing all game

Theyā€™ll have to start using lasers to paint the lines, as we all know with a roller thereā€™s paint bleed. Iā€™m not sure you could get a tighter decision than that last night. I canā€™t understand why fifa wouldnā€™t release images straight away to stop the conspiracy nonsense.

I know I've said this hundreds of times but simply broadcasting the coms between VAR and ref would easily explain things and help fans understand the rationale behind decisions. Listening to professional referees discuss the laws of the game would also help educate fans about the laws and how the laws are applied.

UlyJ9Rs.jpg
This image proves the ball was in at a given point while in contact with the player's foot. It does NOT prove it was in at all times while in contact with the player's foot.

The are a lot of images out there on how far the 'back end' of the ball can travel towards the foot while the 'front end' is being kicked.Similarly one end remaining stationary while the other end moved in a free kick. It all depends on the speed of the ball and the foot.

Back