A&H

Juan Mata FK... Offside?

So... Has the law changed to "making an obvious attempt to play the ball" in the proffessional game?

However at grassroots it remains as "interferring with play" - i am sure my county FA said this?

The Referee Store
So... Has the law changed to "making an obvious attempt to play the ball" in the proffessional game?

However at grassroots it remains as "interferring with play" - i am sure my county FA said this?
There was some early idea that this new definition didn't apply at grassroots, but I think that was quickly dispelled - it applies at all levels.

Disappointed this goal was allowed to stand.

Example 6, Page 114 of LotG
But they weren't in that position when the ball was played. It boils down to whether this is a legitimate tactic to exploit the letter of the law or diabolical cheating to circumvent the spirit of the law. Until yet another new definition, some referees are going to allow it, some will go with the "moral offside".

Interfering with play has for some time now (since 1997 in fact) been only one of the three "ways" to commit an offside offence. The other two are "interfering with an opponent" and "gaining an advantage by being in that position". All three categories apply at all levels. I'm not sure where you're getting the phrase "making an obvious attempt to play the ball" from but in the IFAB circular no. 3 issued on July 17, 2015, there is additional clarification on two scenarios that constitute "interfering with an opponent."

These are:

"clearly attempts to play a ball which is close to him when this action impacts on an opponent"
and
"makes an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball "

These clarifications apply at all levels, as far as I am aware.

So to sum up, "interfering with play" still applies at all levels, as does "interfering with an opponent" and "gaining an advantage by being in that position."

However you do need to be aware of the exact definitions of these phrases (which can be found in the laws of the game) along with the additional clarifications issued by the IFAB.

As a side issue, should a referee be colluding in a tactical discussion?
I think it's a little unfair to characterise it as "colluding in a tactical discussion."

As I understand it, they asked him a direct question regarding the Laws of the Game and he answered it. Obviously I have no idea of how exactly he answered but if a team asked me if their players could stand in an offside position at a free kick I would tell them that their players can stand wherever they like but if they interfere with play or an opponent, or gain an advantage by being in that position, I will award a free kick against them.

Van Gaal was reported to have said the referee "told them to go ahead." I took that to mean he told them they were free to try it (and that if they did, he would decide if an offence had occurred or not).

Last edited:
What if....

Would we all agree that an attacker obstructing the GK's view by standing in front of him and jumping up or down or waving his arms around, but running off just before the FK, could be cautioned for USB? (Do I recall a Q&A about something similar?)

What if defenders stood in front of the attackers and physically prevented them from running away from their offside position blocking the GK view? The attackers would be offside when the ball was played but only because they were being pushed or held.

What if an attacker physically held the GK before a FK? Would you make him let go before signalling for the FK? So why would you signal a FK when attackers are deliberately doing something that would be an offence if they were still doing it when the kick was taken?

So why would you signal a FK when attackers are deliberately doing something that would be an offence if they were still doing it when the kick was taken?
Because being in an offside position, unlike holding, is not an offence in itself; the referee has no way of knowing where the players are going to be when the shot is taken and there is nothing in law to stop them being wherever they like on the FOP.

I appreciate that, but holding isn't an offence when the ball isn't in play. So if you are managing a FK and preventing players doing what would be an offence if the ball was in play (and would be a foul if they carry on when the kick is taken), why would you allow players in an offside position to obstruct the GK's view when that would be an offence if they're still there when the kick is taken?

Put it another way, If it's a "ceremonial" FK isn't there an assumption that you don't signal until you're satisfied that when it's taken there's nothing going on that would be an offence?

Last edited:
I appreciate that, but holding isn't an offence when the ball isn't in play. So if you are managing a FK and preventing players doing what would be an offence if the ball was in play (and would be a foul if they carry on when the kick is taken), why would you allow players in an offside position to obstruct the GK's view when that would be an offence if they're still there when the kick is taken?

Put it another way, If it's a "ceremonial" FK isn't there an assumption that you don't signal until you're satisfied that when it's taken there's nothing going on that would be an offence?
The referee doesn't know what will happen before and immediately after the kick is taken. For example, if Mata had squared the ball rather than taking a shot and all three players had retreated beyond the second last defender before any shot on goal was taken there would be no discussion about an offence at all.
I also disagree about holding not being an offence if the ball is not in play. It is merely an offence which cannot be punished by a DFK.

why would you allow players in an offside position to obstruct the GK's view when that would be an offence if they're still there when the kick is taken?
Because you cannot penalise a player (or players) for doing something that would be an offence under different circumstances, if those different circumstances are not in place. Standing in front of the goalkeeper in a position that prevents him having a clear view of the ball is not an offence. Players do it all the time at corners. You can't penalise them for doing it at a corner by saying that if they did it while in an offside position at a free kick, it would be an offence.

I wouldn't want to do it at a corner - I want to do it at a free kick!
No, you want to do it (if I've understood correctly) before the free kick, which means penalising something that is not an offence in those circumstances and at that time, just as it wouldn't be at a corner

I've waited for the official guidance to be issued before posting but the PGMOL have now confirmed, following dialogue with IFAB, that the expected decision is offside.

Attachments

• OS_IWO_SHRvMNU_clarification.pdf
    373.6 KB · Views: 20
I've waited for the official guidance to be issued before posting but the PGMOL have now confirmed, following dialogue with IFAB, that the expected decision is offside.

And damned right too. Trying to circumvent the spirit of the offside law in order to gain an advantage or, cheating as it's often known. Shocking business. :D

Too many ManUre fans on here, that's the problem..... ;) :p

Thanks for posting that, very interesting. I am not 100% convinced that "as the free kick is taken, MNU35, MNU21 and MNU9 all make a clear movement (obvious action), which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball" but as I posted earlier, I think there was enough of doubt to give offside.

Interesting to see the weight that is put on the fact that this is done for "tactical purposes".

I appreciate that, but holding isn't an offence when the ball isn't in play.
Yes it is - and what's more, it is both mandatory for referees to deal with and a cautionable offence.

Laws of the Game page 120 (2015-16 edition, pdf version):

Referees are reminded to make an early intervention and to deal firmly with holding offences especially inside the penalty area at corner kicks and free kicks.
To deal with these situations:
• the referee must warn any player holding an opponent before the ball is in play
caution the player if the holding continues before the ball is in play

I missed the distinction between an offence and a foul! I think my point still stands - I asked "Why would you allow players in an offside position to obstruct the GK's view when that would be an offence if they're still there when the kick is taken?" and it looks like PGMOL have essentially said it should be treated as an offence. I'd be interested to see what wording they'd use if this was to be enshrined in the laws
... “interfering with an opponent” means preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s
line of vision or challenging an opponent for the ball" and players should not be allowed to stand in an offside position at a free kick in order to obstruct an opponent's (the goalkeeper's) line of vision.

Back