A&H

Jumping for a header

jertzee

There was an incident at the Wimbledon v Oxford game on Saturday.
Two players jumped up for a ball. The Wimbledon defender was standing behind the Oxford forward.
The ball was being played up to the forward from what I can remember.
Either way the Wimbledon defender was behind the forward who ducked down, causing the Wimbledon defender, who was reaching forward to head it, but not leaning his arms into the forward, to fall over him and land on his head.
It looked horrific at the time - one of those incidents that you seriously fear for the welfare of the player - it looked for a moment as he had broken his neck as his body flopped to the ground. (pictures 3 and 4 in the link below)

Apart from the referee turning around and waving play on (he apologised later) what is the general opinion when the player at the front of a headed challenge deliberately bends down to cause the other payer to fall over the top of him? Some refs give a freekick, most don't.

The pics look like he breaks the fall with his arms but, trust me, it was 100 times worse in real life.
http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/spor.../pictures-cardiff-city-loanee-suffers-9031891

The Referee Store
For me, if a player in front ducks out of a header, it's a free kick. Always given it, probably always will. I've seen a lad get knocked out because of it happening when I played so I know what can happen !

I'm with @jack.prescott it's not a natural thing to be doing. I let a lot go when players jump for a header that is 50/50 but I've got very little tolerance for nudges and pushes like that.

off topic - picture 9 doesn't do fatty fenwa any favours :eek:

and before anyone accuses me of being fattist.....i think you'll find that he is

It's a foul against the player in front - he's thrown his hip into the opponent, so that's the foul. Everybody, of course, will scream for the 'jumping in the back'.
Like all things, sometimes it's a fairly innocent collision, so you have to use your judgement, but a foul is definitely possible.

Funnily enough, I gave it the other night. Player at the front has made no attempt to get the ball. By bending over and moving slightly back he has unfairly charged the opponent. Its not shoulder to shoulder contact. That's how I've sold it. I did see something on one of the MNSRC podcasts about it, and thats how they view it too. I know its American but the point of view is the same.

Back