A&H

Junior Premier League

spuddy1878

RefChat Addict
Has anyone covered any games in this league ?

I know its 4x20 minute quarters but any other rules/laws that might catch me out.

Do they have sin bin rules ?

The Referee Store
What age group are you covering?
Sin Bins are also for all grassroots games, so yes they will have these.

Here is some guidance for youth football from my county FA.

Attachments

• EB8F9FE7-21A6-48B5-BD27-B81E9C9ED9AE.jpeg
    EB8F9FE7-21A6-48B5-BD27-B81E9C9ED9AE.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 51
Thanks thats great.

The manager told me 4x20 minute halves but thats not the case.
Just quickly I haven’t personally covered a JPL game due to not having transport however I’ve been to a few mates games in this and it has been 4 quarters for development of the players. One is playing tomorrow u16 and I’ve just checked with him and he says 4x20 so quite possibly is

I covered an U13's fixture last season in the JPL, and that too was 4 x 20mins, with 8min sin bins for dissent.

5ADAD9DB-C391-473E-B21A-BA79BD1034ED.jpeg
Taken off the jpl rules stating 4 periods so the manager would have been correct. Apparently they aren’t in the county’s boundaries although they’re an affiliated league

I've done a few games. The JPL is a recent thing for players who are not signed by any club. The standard is OK, but I've seen better in better in local prem games. They sort out there own referees due to travel times. So I did a semi-final for the simple reason that I live close to where a team play their home games. The home team contacted me based on my postcode! I'm not convinced by it all; the EJA is a better alternative, albeit a Sunday rather than Saturday. Probably driven my parents with big ideas for their Little Timmy's

@Big Cat is (as usual) correct.

JPL is a triumph of marketing - it’s just a league for youth football, like any other, but I suspect someone somewhere is making a few quid from it as parents and players are buying into the dream.

To be fair, standard is quite high - round here the JPL play on a Saturday and the standard is higher than you get on the local Sunday afternoon youth league, but if you are playing JPL at, say U15, you probably aren’t going to be playing in the Premier League in five or ten years time.

They do play four quarters rather than two halves, which is not a bad idea to give more opportunity for coach input. But the bottom line is is that it’s just youth football,

To be fair, standard is quite high - round here the JPL play on a Saturday and the standard is higher than you get on the local Sunday afternoon youth league
Agreed in general. The standard is naturally a cut above average. But from what I've seen, there's some local Sunday Prem teams who are definitely better than the two semi-finalists I encountered. They got the wrong referee anyway as neither team liked any contact from the opposition, whereas I'm quite fond of that sorta thing!
They play Saturday mornings, so refs are at a premium. It may be JPL, but they don't always get a ref. They parents do a pay the $$$ for professional coaching however, not to mention some of the travel (which is ridiculous considering)

Last edited:
These games end up taking longer than a grassroots adult game, as the coaches like to justify the £80 a month to the parents by waffling for 10 minutes at each interval.
In the Midlands it's been superceded by the Midland Junior Premier League which runs 40/50 team leagues at each age group where you're regularly graded so playing teams of the same standards. Two halfs.

I refuse to cover these anymore. 4 X 20 mins is correct.

My issue is, out of a league of 11 teams, 3 are not registered on the WGS. I only discovered this after my first first at the beginning of the season and I'd issued 4 YCs.

Can't put the match on the WGS as the club concerned isn't listed. Spoke to local RA, advised contact county FA which I did. They pointed me in the direction of the FA, they've pointed me elsewhere with no real answer.

Spoke to the person listed as the referee appointment officer for the league who wouldn't speak on the phone and just told me all cautions go on the WGS with no real interest on explaining why some teams aren't listed there.

There's a danger it becomes a bit of a free for all if the cautions cannot go through. That's my experience unfortunately.

My experience, this is not just a UK issue. They are not showing interest because they are making money off them. The moment the team stops paying rego fees or it's costing them more than making them money, that's when interest starts. Money makes the world go around and this is the world game.

Of course this is not all leagues but you'd find there are a fair few around and that's what keeps those teams going.

Last edited:
Bit off topic but what is the Junior Premier League. And whereabouts in the UK is it?
Is it just one of those leagues where parents are convinced “little Billy” is gonna make it in the Premier League and throw them in, or is it legit a good league?

Its apparently for the Elite teams and to be fair the two teams i had our arguably the best in the city.

I had a very tasty game, 3 reds, 2 yellows but enjoyed the little bit of needle in the game.

Back