A&H

Keeper has control or not?

Robin

Level 7 Referee
I had an incident today where the keeper made a last ditch save and got his hands to the ball, he didn't have 10 fingers on the ball but he definitely had control of the ball. The attacking player then kicked the ball out of his hands while he was on the floor and into the goal. I then disallowed the goal and then alot of arguments broke out saying he didn't have 10 fingers on the ball.

Is that an actual rule that the keeper has to have 10 fingers on the ball?

I thought as long as the keeper has control of the ball then its keepers ball.

Please can someone let me know cos I just want to make sure I get this right before it happens again.

The Referee Store
If, in the opinion of the referee, the goalkeeper has control of the ball...

You answered your own question so to speak, it you think the keeper gad control of it, he had control of it.

Definitely keeper has control. If you feel he has control with ONE finger then that's fine. I hope you cautioned a player or two for dissent.

99 times out of 100 I'm giving a freekick if the keeper has anything on the ball as if its kicked out his hand and into the goal its causing no end of hassle from the defending team. Also I dont want the players thinking its ok to start kicking at the keeper when he has the ball, as thats a rocky road to some rather nasty penalty area incidents.

Last edited:
A goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball:
• while the ball is between his hands or between his hand and any surface (e.g. ground, own body)
• while holding the ball in his outstretched open hand
• while in the act of bouncing it on the ground or tossing it into the air

No mention of 10 fingers

B pin c ing on the ground? So what's with the yc for this as when in they hand they have control when they let got on bounce it they can in no way be in control of how it bounces. If they drop it down, hits a lump or divit and bounces out the the player stood there who posted it in the goal.

Just one question, just one: are you dis allowing the goal as the bounce is still in the gk possession?

Or are you allowing it?

Once controlled with the hands and released he can them not control it with hands again.

San Marino keeper parries, picks up and gets a yellow for just the above.

The San Marino keeper was not bouncing the ball he had parried it, let it roll on the ground and then picked it up so IDF as stated in LOTG P120.

A goalkeeper is not permitted to touch the ball with his hand inside his own
penalty area in the following circumstances:
• if he handles the ball again after it has been released from his possession
and has not touched any other player:
– possession of the ball includes the goalkeeper deliberately parrying the
ball

The ball is considered to be under the goalkeeper's control when he is bouncing the ball because that's what it say in the LOTG. If it actually did hit such a huge divot that the goalkeeper was obviously no longer in control then I suppose there is a possibility that a striker could take advantage but it would have to be very obvious for me that there was no way that the GK had any possibility at all of remaining in control of the ball.

I am aware of an incident local to me, whereby a refereeing colleague penalised a goalkeeper for bouncing the ball. :rolleyes:

Caused a near riot.

Back to the OP - sounds like you got that one spot on @Robin.

In my match on Saturday the keeper jumped quite high to catch the ball. He misjudged it and caught the ball behind his head and as he came down the ball hit an attacker on the head who was fairly jumping for the ball. I gave the goal as I felt the attacker had done nothing wrong and the mistake was the keepers. Maybe if the GK's team hadn't been on my back for the previous 50 minutes then....................................... ;)

Goal keepers who run out and try and catch the ball in a crowded area are asking for trouble. For the most part just blooming punch it and not take the risk!

I had one Saturday which was much like yours Anthony. Keeper is untouched but over runs the ball slightly, can't hold on to it and just drops it behind him at the feet of a striker. Goal. No complaints to me from anyone.

Why do goalkeepers insist on bouncing the ball at all? What purpose does it serve? Goalkeeper last week bounced it 3 or 4 times every time before launching it to the oppositions centre half i found it rather amusing but pointless!!

History.

When I started playing, you had a couple of steps, bounce, then a couple more steps (kinda like Gaelic Football).

I never managed to break the habit of doing that (though I do it less and less now as I play on crappier and crappier fields as I age... and you never know where the ball will go most of the time!)

Do we have any ex goal keepers on here to help with this question? :)

I have no idea why I bounce the ball. Especially if our team is ahead, I'll give the ball a few extra bounces before punting it (Guess it gives the referee the impression that you're not wasting time when you really are).

And as for punching the ball, I do that a lot more now because catching the ball and it being headed out of my hands is all too common an occurrence

Back