A&H

KOR vs GHA Matchday 8 - Taylor (ENG)

Well done AT at the end. Cool, calm, collected and I was timing the additional timewastiing by Ghana in the final 10 a?d he added spot on

The Referee Store
Outstanding from Anthony Taylor. Best performance by a referee so far. Also well done for issuing the red card to the coach. Embarrassing behaviour from the South Korea coach
Bento (the SK coach) was a real bell end in their first game as well. Turpin cautioned him and could have sent him off to be completely fair. So in a situation where South Korea may need every tiebreaker, Bento has cost his team four fair play points. Well done, indeed.

Taylor was phenomenal in this game.

Hopefully you’re right. As there seems to be a growing opinion on social media that our refs aren’t as good as other refs from round the world, when in fact probably the opposite is correct.
I believe that many people think that the issues perceived (and I stress perceived) related to English refereeing has more to do with the execution of VAR. Overall, I think many believe the referees themselves are good (particularly Taylor and Oliver), but they are being hamstrung by weak leadership at PGMOL and a poor implementation of VAR protocol. I firmly believe Howard Webb, based on what he's done with PRO in the US, will address both of those items in a positive manner.

But, on the other hand, it's social media. If we are getting our opinion gauges from social media, that's on us. :)

I went back and calculated 1:10 of additional added time in the 10 minutes of added time Taylor and crew initially provided. 21 seconds for the Korean sub, and 49 seconds for the Ghana injury after Taylor initially checked on him and called for trainers. So if my assessment of additional time was correct, the Korea corner should have been taken since the ball went out of play somewhere around 100:53. 101:10 would have been the end of added time if my documentation was correct.

Granted, this is my assessment of added time. Taylor and crew may have had a different assessment. But it does seem like the Koreans do have a reason to question why the final corner wasn't taken. It doesn't excuse Bento's behavior, and Taylor rightly sent him off. But stepping back, allowing that corner doesn't appear to be something that would have been unfair to the Koreans.

I went back and calculated 1:10 of additional added time in the 10 minutes of added time Taylor and crew initially provided. 21 seconds for the Korean sub, and 49 seconds for the Ghana injury after Taylor initially checked on him and called for trainers. So if my assessment of additional time was correct, the Korea corner should have been taken since the ball went out of play somewhere around 100:53. 101:10 would have been the end of added time if my documentation was correct.

Granted, this is my assessment of added time. Taylor and crew may have had a different assessment. But it does seem like the Koreans do have a reason to question why the final corner wasn't taken. It doesn't excuse Bento's behavior, and Taylor rightly sent him off. But stepping back, allowing that corner doesn't appear to be something that would have been unfair to the Koreans.
I think it's sensible to end time there over a few trivial seconds... Allowing the corner creates more issues.
1) 17 seconds to take and then find a neutral-ish area to blow time could possibly have caused more drama.
2) if a goal was scored it would likely have been beyond your calculation and it's just reversed.

Not every second has to be accounted for. I'm assuming you calculated on a stop clock basis?

I think it's sensible to end time there over a few trivial seconds... Allowing the corner creates more issues.
1) 17 seconds to take and then find a neutral-ish area to blow time could possibly have caused more drama.
2) if a goal was scored it would likely have been beyond your calculation and it's just reversed.

Not every second has to be accounted for. I'm assuming you calculated on a stop clock basis?
No - I calculated the sub based on the time Taylor blew his whistle to allow the sub to start and the time he blew his whistle to restart the game.

On the injury, I started based on when he blew the whistle twice after initially assessing the Ghana player. I stopped the clock around the time the keeper put the ball on the ground.

If I had done start-stop, I would have actually had more time. Like I said, I don't really have a major issue with Taylor stopping the game when he did. He was near a minute of additional added time, and he had allowed a pretty long Korean attack play out. I'm just saying that I can see why the Koreans would have had a reason to raise the question in a more civil manner. Bento 100% deserved his red card, but he was within rights to raise that question.

And I got a shorter period .. it's all subjective, but in the end it's the team on the pitch. I used to stop when the watch went wherever the ball was and I do think the current tendency to await the next out of play (as per rugby) does weaken all refs in how time added is calculated....

No - I calculated the sub based on the time Taylor blew his whistle to allow the sub to start and the time he blew his whistle to restart the game.

On the injury, I started based on when he blew the whistle twice after initially assessing the Ghana player. I stopped the clock around the time the keeper put the ball on the ground.

If I had done start-stop, I would have actually had more time. Like I said, I don't really have a major issue with Taylor stopping the game when he did. He was near a minute of additional added time, and he had allowed a pretty long Korean attack play out. I'm just saying that I can see why the Koreans would have had a reason to raise the question in a more civil manner. Bento 100% deserved his red card, but he was within rights to raise that question.
Even with the added time though they won't be doing it to the exact second, rather I am pretty sure it will be to the nearest 30 seconds, or an estimate based on the type of stoppage. If the game wants it to the exact second they need to bring in an independent timekeeper.

At the 5th minute of extra time one of their players went down for about a minute or more.

So for me, not only should they have been allowed to take the corner, they should have had another 30 seconds.

Other than that the ref was fantastic. Very calm. Been watching these other fellows that give the foul and then race to the spot. He was doing none of that and it looked great.

(Not sure why this is in italics. On my phone and can't change it.)

PS. Was at this game. Absolute terrific entertainment.

I'd be very reluctant to end the game on a CK restart. To say time is up the precise moment the ball goes out of play is unwise IMO
Added time is such a vague judgement that I'm ending the game when it's in my best interests to do so (a few seconds either side of my intention)

Anyway, the Korean Coach was completely out of order from what I've seen from the reports

I'd be very reluctant to end the game on a CK restart. To say time is up the precise moment the ball goes out of play is unwise IMO
Added time is such a vague judgement that I'm ending the game when it's in my best interests to do so (a few seconds either side of my intention)

Anyway, the Korean Coach was completely out of order from what I've seen from the reports
Most on this thread will have never heard of Clive Thomas, who finished his World Cup career by blowing for time as a corner was taken, and indicating "No!" when the ball entered the goal a couple of seconds later. 😘

Anyway, the Korean Coach was completely out of order from what I've seen from the report
So would you have awarded the corner kick even though it was 1 min over the extra time and they had their attack
Most on this thread will have never heard of Clive Thomas, who finished his World Cup career by blowing for time as a corner was taken, and indicating "No!" when the ball entered the goal a couple of seconds later. 😘
Insane decision, I mean what was going through his mind.

So would you have awarded the corner kick even though it was 1 min over the extra time and they had their attack
Yes, ordinarily, I'd let the CK be taken and blow as soon as it's cleared. If it went out for another CK, it would be easier to call time at that point
It's not the easiest of quandaries, as it could be argued that allowing the CK to be taken is unfair on the opposition, but that's the way it goes. It's the nature of the game that there's lots of 'unsafe' moments in which to blow for HT/FT

Yes, ordinarily, I'd let the CK be taken and blow as soon as it's cleared. If it went out for another CK, it would be easier to call time at that point
It's not the easiest of quandaries, as it could be argued that allowing the CK to be taken is unfair on the opposition, but that's the way it goes. It's the nature of the game that there's lots of 'unsafe' moments in which to blow for HT/FT
Problem is if it then gets header out for another corner, and another, and another, you've got to end the game at some point.

Plus if you allow a corner to be taken a minute over the indicated added time and it is scored you are getting it in the neck from the other team, there isn't really any "safe" option here.

Problem is if it then gets header out for another corner, and another, and another, you've got to end the game at some point.

Plus if you allow a corner to be taken a minute over the indicated added time and it is scored you are getting it in the neck from the other team, there isn't really any "safe" option here.
If it went out for another CK, it would be easier to call time at that point

If it went out for another CK, it would be easier to call time at that point
They'd still moan that you denied them the chance to take a corner they felt they were entitled to. I don't see how the outcome would have been any different at all, the manager would still have been on the pitch and in Taylor's face.

Completely incorrect at all levels, but everyone involved in football (except referees) thinks the game can't end on the ball going out for an attacking set piece.

Back