A&H

last minute cup game advantage - goal scored

Kent Ref

RefChat Addict
I reffed an adult cup game today.

Blue player gets fouled just outside the area. I see ball is going to his team mate so i shout "advantage" and the other blue player puts the bal in the top corner.

Blue captain made a point of thanking me at the time "as not many of the refs try to play advantage anymore".

30 seconds later the game is over (i added around 6 minutes as one of the keepers was trying to time-waste as 2-2, plus a couple of injuries). If the keeper had wasted less time they wouldn't have scored and it would have gone to extra time!

Makes reffing worthwhile.

The Referee Store
Well done on the positive feedback.

I wonder how much truth there is in what the player said mind you, as I’ve watched quite a few other refs at grassroots level, and I’d argue advantage is still played normal amounts.

I know I play advantage wherever possible (unless I miss it, although that isn't very often). In 9 games this year, 4 goals have been scored during or directly after advantages in my games. (Including a winner in the 5th minute of stoppage time in an U12's cup game).

I know I play advantage wherever possible (unless I miss it, although that isn't very often). In 9 games this year, 4 goals have been scored during or directly after advantages in my games. (Including a winner in the 5th minute of stoppage time in an U12's cup game).
Be careful when you do play advantages. As you go through the progression pathway, until you're at the very top levels, advantage for advantage sake e.g. just possession is somewhat frowned upon. The expectation is only to play advantage when there is a clear benefit, think attacking, and not just for the sake of it.
Advantages are expected to end in attacking situations, such as goals, shots at goal and you won't be rewarded for 10 advantages that amount to nothing.

I don't just play them. Like I said, there have been several goals and/or promising attacks resulting from them. When I said wherever possible, I should have clarified that I meant in those situations so that is my fault, apologies.

Playing too many advantages is one of the biggest problems I see with new and inexperienced referees. At grass roots with low skill levels and often dodgy pitches it really does just need to be when there is a very, very promising attack possible. I'm sometimes seeing double figures in a game, which is far too many.

Playing too many advantages is one of the biggest problems I see with new and inexperienced referees. At grass roots with low skill levels and often dodgy pitches it really does just need to be when there is a very, very promising attack possible. I'm sometimes seeing double figures in a game, which is far too many.
Yeah it was a big issue for me in my first season. What @JamesL said above about attacking helped me kick the habit.

I understand the point being made. However, if when in their own half, a player was fouled but regained their footing and kept the ball, would you still give the free kick or would you play advantage in this scenario? I know this is irrelevant but is a genuine question.

I understand the point being made. However, if when in their own half, a player was fouled but regained their footing and kept the ball, would you still give the free kick or would you play advantage in this scenario? I know this is irrelevant but is a genuine question.
They would need to have very, very clear space to run into for me to even consider advantage in their own half. More often than not if a player is fouled in their own half they are going to have several opposition players to get past so any potential advantage is negligible. Conversely, the risk of playing advantage only for it to break down and the team that had the advantage now have an attack to defend is much greater. No one will remember you not playing a potential advantage, they will certainly remember if you playing advantage ends up with them shipping a goal.

Back