A&H

Open Age Last Minute Tips?

dylan22

Level 7 Referee
Morning chaps,

I finished my basic course this week, and this afternoon I have my first game which I'm fairly nervous/excited about.

I just wondered if anyone had any last minute advice/things to remember, the course was intensive and I think I've taken all everything on board though it was a lot to take in in just a few days so I'm worried I may be forgetting something.

Hopefully it all goes smoothly!

D

The Referee Store
Enjoy it! (Did my first game last Saturday, 2nd game this afternoon - much less anxious after getting the first under the belt)

Remember: whilst your focus is of course on you, and your first game, the 22 players and coaches are more interested in playing the game than you. Get the game going and you'll be swept along.

Confidence is key - exude confidence (even if you're not) and it rubs off on the players. e.g., ball goes out for a throw (or gk/corner kick), no-one exactly sure who's ball (including linos) just make a decision, indicate your decision and get play going again.

Best of luck, enjoy, and report back after the game.

Thanks for the reply, Jef, very helpful!

I was mindful to act confident - I am quite confident, I think, most of the time but I was a little bit nervous beforehand and then more so at the beginning of the game with everyone waiting to get going.

All in all I was pleased with how it went, it was a charity/friendly game, both proper teams but playing for a good cause. I mentioned to the captains at the beginning that, as was the nature of the game, I wasn't going to be pulling out any cards and we all agreed to get on with it in good spirits.

I didn't have too much to deal with really, they all got on with it pretty well, though I got a bit of grief for a few contentious decisions, ended up giving a pen, though I know I got that decision right. One thing perhaps though, was that I didn't blow the whistle as much, on reflection, as I should have done. There was a bit of pulling back but I let it go as the players kept the ball on each occasion - though in some cases not so much keeping it, as passing it on due to being pulled back - so I wish I'd been a bit firmer on that but I felt more content to let the game go on. Also I was surprised about my lack of fitness, it was a hot one on Saturday afternoon, but still 45 minutes is a long time to be running around!

Dylan - pleased that you thought the game went well and you enjoyed it! A couple of notes from my perspective though:

• 1. Charity / friendly games are a red flag. One has to ensure that this game is properly sanctioned by the relevant County FA
  • 2. Irrespective whether this is a friendly or not, NEVER say that you will not be pulling cards out etc...
    • Even though captains have agreed to this approach, this means nothing. By setting yourself up this way, you make it very difficult to sell any disciplinary action - e.g. if there is mass confrontation.
    • Instead, perhaps mention something like "Gents, this is for a good cause, so let's ensure we manage our players accordingly" - this way you have referenced the nature of the game, but you have provided yourself several avenues to manage the game

Thanks very much for the comments, drahc, I shall take those on board.

Regarding your first point, I hope that game still counts as one my five needed to progress to Level 7...:(

And the second point, yes certainly, I was a bit unsure about this though one of the chaps who was running my course said he had a similar game a few weeks ago and he told them he would 'manage the cards' in a similar way, but rightly so it could be a way for the game to get away from me.

I've contacted a league and registered with them so I'm hoping I'll get a league game this weekend which will be fun/terrifying.

It's totally fine to try and indicate that you don't want to be getting the cards out - in fact, I do this routinely when I referee any team I'm unfamiliar with. But it's important that you find a way to make it clear the responsibility for keeping the match card-free is on them, not you.

It's their responsibility to play in good spirits, it's their responsibility to play by the laws and it's important they listen to your warnings if they're getting close to the mark (on dissent, persistent infringements etc.). If they do that, you don't have to get the cards out - and if they kick off or lose their discipline and you have to issue cards, it's their fault not yours.

Back