A&H

Law 12 - DOGSO Handball

Reffing4Life

Level 7 Referee
Is this true for goalkeepers outside of their penalty area?

LAW 12: “Where a player denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a handball offence the player is sent off wherever the offence occurs.”

The Referee Store
Under the Laws, the only thing different for GKs are (1) they wear the funny shirt and (2) they can use their hands while in the PA. That's it.

(I said under the Laws because in practice GKs often receive a bit more latitude in a couple of areas. It's not considered PIADM for a keeper to dive on a ball, even if an opponent wanted to kick it. And we tend to give some extra leeway to the GK on contact with attackers while diving at the ball or punching the ball. But if they leave the PA they are like other players in every aspect--except the funny shirt.)

Under the Laws, the only thing different for GKs are (1) they wear the funny shirt and (2) they can use their hands while in the PA. That's it.

(I said under the Laws because in practice GKs often receive a bit more latitude in a couple of areas. It's not considered PIADM for a keeper to dive on a ball, even if an opponent wanted to kick it. And we tend to give some extra leeway to the GK on contact with attackers while diving at the ball or punching the ball. But if they leave the PA they are like other players in every aspect--except the funny shirt.)
Thanks very much for that! Can I ask what PIADM stands for please?

Back