A&H

Law 15 Throw Ins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forlan

Is there a maxium distance a player can be from touchline when restating play with a throw in? i.e as long as he/she is in line with were the ball excited play can they take the throw from say 5 meters behind the touch line?.... in grass roots there is often large area around the pitch so once the player has retrieved the ball is there a min/max distance? Can’t see antying in the wording withing the LOTG.

The Referee Store
Is there a maxium distance a player can be from touchline when restating play with a throw in? i.e as long as he/she is in line with were the ball excited play can they take the throw from say 5 meters behind the touch line?.... in grass roots there is often large area around the pitch so once the player has retrieved the ball is there a min/max distance? Can’t see antying in the wording withing the LOTG.

No.

As long as the ball enters the field of play where it exited (as per the LOTG), where they take it from makes no difference.

He can throw it from the next field if he wants!!! You'll always get some busy body complaining but its from anywhere...

The law actually says: “throw the ball... from the point where the ball left the field of play.”

I think you are asking for trouble if you let someone take a throw from e.g. more than 5 yards.

First thing is: is she still on the pitch? Field of play is one thing... if there are ropes, barriers, obviously you can’t let someone take a throw from behind, I hope we agree on that? The answers above suggest anything goes, which I don’t agree with;)

We have this a lot as we have mostly artificial pitches that are only 2-4 (?) yards wider than the field of play. Taking a throw in from the concrete, running track, sand, or even worse, from up a bank, is a no-no. It’s not on the pitch and it’s unsporting.

But it’s how you manage it. At grassroots, look while someone’s retreiving the ball, if they start to throw from the concrete or next postcode, quick blow and remind them to get on the pitch first. That’ll be it for the whole game. No fuss. Carry on⚽

I’ve watched the carnage after a ref allowed a long throw leading to goal from a bank by the pitch (not me for once!).

Law says "have part of each foot on the touchline or on the ground outside the touchline"

Question is why would anyone want to take a throw inn from 5-10 yards further back ?

Yeah, the LOTG says the ball is thrown from where it left the field. The additional guidance used to suggest 1 yard away - and when that was in play we talked about 1 yard back as well.

So, there's justification for calling a foul throw. I once had a player take a throw from the top of a large (1m high) dirt mound a couple of yards off the pitch. That didn't work for him :)

I think a player taking the throw from behind the fence is crossing the line.

As @one said, try to intervene first - that stops all arguments.

A throw from too far back can really change things. It can mean the ball is dropping to the ground right in front of the point of exit when it wouldn't otherwise. It can also mean the ball enters the field quite a long distance from where it otherwise would. So, I'd say consider the impact before consider whether to blow for it.

As above, if you think there's the danger of something causing problems, a quick 'Just in line with me please' tends to slow things down and gets them to the position.

Barring the climbing up on a mound to take a throw, I cant honestly say I have ever had reason to be proactive in how far back a throw can be taken, or seen it at any game.
We cannot be too fussy though, if we are, then we need to adopt the same rationale to how far up or down the line they take it...and as we all know, esp when its towards their own goal, we all turn a blind eye to 6/12 even more yards....so, in fairness, I would allow a throw 6 yards behind the line, maybe more...any further than that, I have not seen

Well, you might turn a blind eye to 12 yards down the line.... Hopefully nobody else is.

Except for the dirt mound I've never felt the need to penalise a thrower for being too far away from the field, but it's important to know what could happen and what the options are.

Well, you might turn a blind eye to 12 yards down the line.... Hopefully nobody else is.

Except for the dirt mound I've never felt the need to penalise a thrower for being too far away from the field, but it's important to know what could happen and what the options are.

I would say 12 yards is standard in the top 2 leagues!

It's not specified in LOTG but common sense applies. At grass roots level I've had players trying to take a through in from behind the supporters or from the middle of a bush.

I used to get grief for trying to get it somewhere near, if they didn’t listen or ignored my mark I’d reverse it..... that turns attack into defence! 👍

I'm doing quite high level futsal where the throw in position tolerance is less than big football so I am extra sensitive to this... but here's the thing... what irks me when a throw is taken 12-15 yards further back than it should is that half the time it is not remotely innocent. The opposition have clustered around where the ball went out ready to press, so the thrower doesn't bother coming back to the correct place, avoids the pressure and takes the easy out e.g. by throwing to the unmarked GK. This is a bit easier to correct in futsal... (and of course it's an 8-10 yard problem rather than a 12-15)... but I think refs should be smart to it in big football.

If you are passive as a player defies the laws by taking a throw from blatantly the wrong place to avoid pressure, then yes, you are last week's ref.

if I sense the above is about to happen to such an extent its obscene, I like to think am proactive, whether its whistle, shout, arm or any mix of them, if then a player still takes it then I have no qualms in awarding it to the opposition, as for me, not only have they taken the urine out the restart position, they have done so out of me. Double whammy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back