A&H

LAW 9: THE BALL IN AND OUT OF PLAY

Reffing4Life

Level 7 Referee
Hi everyone!

If the ball hits a match official and goes out of play, is a dropped-ball taken or is the play restarted as it would be if it went out off a player?

Does affecting a promising attack come into play with this?

Thanks very much!

The Referee Store
Restart with a throw in/goal kick/corner as appropriate (for the opponent's of the player who played it last)
Another poorly worded law.
Technically possession changes by virtue of the restart, does it not?
I don't see why the ball going out of play, or not, should change what happens, but there you go, I am not paid thousands of pounds to create a coherent law book for the sport.

Another poorly worded law.
Technically possession changes by virtue of the restart, does it not?
I don't see why the ball going out of play, or not, should change what happens, but there you go, I am not paid thousands of pounds to create a coherent law book for the sport.
Yeah exactly what i was thinking! It seems strange that possession changing hands isn’t considered if the ball goes out? But thanks for your help and clarification!

The law was introduced to allow for players to have time to recover from an unexpected touch by a match official.

When the ball goes out of play, that is a stoppage that allows the players time to recover.

The law was introduced to allow for players to have time to recover from an unexpected touch by a match official.

When the ball goes out of play, that is a stoppage that allows the players time to recover.
Are you sure that's the reasoning behind this? I have always thought that the idea was to give the 'correct' team the restart if the ball was going out of play but touches an assistant referee on the way out; in this case it would be unfair to give the team who last touched the ball possession again.

That's only half the reason--the scoring opportunity half. The other half is change of possession.

The current standard for ball leaving the field works on some scenarios and not others.

Of course, often (especially with an AR) the ball was already going out.

But can also have the scenario where, say a cross with a goal scoring opportunity hits the R and bounds out.

In the first, it makes complete sense to just be a TI. In the second, the bounce off the R caused the team to lose a scoring opportunity, and we top it off by giving the defense the ball.

Shrug. That's just what the rule is.

Back