A&H

Law Changes from July 2024

While I tend to agree that players are silly about shin guards, at the same time, how many actual injuries are there that would have been meaningfully lessened had the player been wearing better shinguards. I don’t think it is really a lot. (Though I still wear heavy duty, full size ones when I play—I think in practical terms they do more to reduce cuts and minor pain/bruising than serious injury.)

The Referee Store
While I tend to agree that players are silly about shin guards, at the same time, how many actual injuries are there that would have been meaningfully lessened had the player been wearing better shinguards. I don’t think it is really a lot. (Though I still wear heavy duty, full size ones when I play—I think in practical terms they do more to reduce cuts and minor pain/bruising than serious injury.)
I would change the question.

How many incidents without an injury are there that a lesser shinguard would have meant an injury?

In my games, I'd say every season I get a couple to half dozen sounds of loud thud when a kick connects to a shin pad. I'd say a micro shinpad would have meant injury in at least half of those. Maybe not all serious though but some.

I would change the question.

How many incidents without an injury are there that a lesser shinguard would have meant an injury?

In my games, I'd say every season I get a couple to half dozen sounds of loud thud when a kick connects to a shin pad. I'd say a micro shinpad would have meant injury in at least half of those. Maybe not all serious though but some.
This is a massive consideration. I had one match where a player had full size shin pads on at the start of the match and then changed them to micros at half time, which I was fine with as it isn’t my concern once I’ve told them it’s their risk. Same player caused the game to be abandoned when we had to call an ambulance for what I suspected to be a very bad leg break… I don’t like micros whatsoever.

The handball/penalty one is interresting.

Does this mean "denial of a goal" by handball is only a yellow card now if it's considered not deliberate (thinking something akin to Harry Kewell's red card against Ghana at the 2010 World Cup) - or will that be another separate consideration.

Obviously, will depend on how exactly they word things....
If non-deliberate handballs are to be treated as any other foul, this would that denial of a goal/goal scoring opportunity is still a red card.
DOGSO doesn't have to be a deliberate action. I'd say 90% of fouls are accidental either the player trying to win the ball.

If non-deliberate handballs are to be treated as any other foul, this would that denial of a goal/goal scoring opportunity is still a red card.
DOGSO doesn't have to be a deliberate action. I'd say 90% of fouls are accidental either the player trying to win the ball.
The law is being changed so that non-deliberate handball that is DOGSO and a penalty is awarded will be yellow card, in a similar way that attempting to play/challenging for the the ball is

The law is being changed so that non-deliberate handball that is DOGSO and a penalty is awarded will be yellow card, in a similar way that attempting to play/challenging for the the ball is

No room for controversy in that distinction . . .

on DOGSO, that makes sense. But we don't have the full wording yet (do we? or am I just blind?) and I'm just commenting on this line:

"Handball offences that are not deliberate, and for which penalties are awarded, are to be treated in the same way as other fouls."

Noting that penalties for handball are awarded in "DOGSO" or "Denial of Goal", is Denial of Goal going to be considered a tier up from DOGSO, so still a red card regardless of being deliberate, or will it be lumped in the same category as DOGSO and downgraded to yellow?

on DOGSO, that makes sense. But we don't have the full wording yet (do we? or am I just blind?) and I'm just commenting on this line:

"Handball offences that are not deliberate, and for which penalties are awarded, are to be treated in the same way as other fouls."

Noting that penalties for handball are awarded in "DOGSO" or "Denial of Goal", is Denial of Goal going to be considered a tier up from DOGSO, so still a red card regardless of being deliberate, or will it be lumped in the same category as DOGSO and downgraded to yellow?
Screenshot_20240427-070357.png

Thanks for that!

Basically confirms that if the referee determines the denial of goal by handball is not deliberate, then it's just a yellow card (alongside the penalty).

So again, leading to my examples from 2010 history - Suarez' red card against Ghana would still be a red card, and there's argument that Kewell's red card against Ghana would be a yellow card under today's law (again, assuming the referee determines it as non-deliberate)

So if a player has their arm out in a position justifiable by their movement, then the ball is hit toward the arm, and they try to move the arm to avoid it but it then hits the arm, is that deliberate or non-deliberate? Because that distinction didn't previously matter.

And how can a substitute or substituted player commit a non-deliberate handball?

Back