A&H

Law Changes from July 2024

However, is 6, 8 or ten seconds really what football wants? If you do it for goal kicks, those 15 second throw ins and 30 second free kicks are gonna stand out. It’s another slippery slope IMHO.
If I have paid £50 for a match ticket as a supporter, I certainly don't want to watch a keeper standing with the ball their hand for circa 20/30 seconds or taking nearly a minute to take a goal kick (which we have all seen many times) multiple times a game.

Just like referees ignoring keepers doing a Dudek at penalties previously, it's something in the game that needs clamping down on.

The Referee Store
I hope this is true. I've had enough of showing a player 17 yellow cards in one match.
This

x2 yellows = red

If referees are being handed out cheat cheats to learn the sin bin system, something is majorly wrong.

How on earth are the punters following it.
And This!

As expressed on other threads, as a soon to be (hopefully) qualified referee, the Sin Bin system, process and combinations are just ridiculous, I imagine even the most experienced refs found them confusing, let alone a brand new referee learning the ropes.

Some have said "it's simple" but there's a million (joke) different combinations, some allow a player to return, some allow for a sub, some don't.

As for the cheat sheets on the back of a card, whilst well intended, just screams "you don't know what you're doing" to the players and managers on the pitch.

There was no need to make it so complicated in my opinion. It would have been so much simpler to stick with the laws and process that football expects = 2 yellow cards should equal a red card. No issue with the sin bin being implemented in the same way, but player's dont need 2 warnings not to be a yob and they should have to carry the burden if their dismissal impacts their team.

I would like to see any time wasting, too much time taken on goal kicks, free kicks, throw in or GK over 6 seconds just reverse possession. Throw in the other way, goal kick & GK over 6 seconds is a corner. No need to caution for delaying restart.

I would like to see any time wasting, too much time taken on goal kicks, free kicks, throw in or GK over 6 seconds just reverse possession. Throw in the other way, goal kick & GK over 6 seconds is a corner. No need to caution for delaying restart.
That’s basically how futsal works. It’s 95% same as football LotG but with 4 seconds for restarts, counted/signaled by the referee/s.

On one hand it works and keeps the game at a pace. The count also starts when the plsyer is in position/ready which is good - so you are not “penalised” for fetching the ball.

But it’s not football.

That’s basically how futsal works. It’s 95% same as football LotG but with 4 seconds for restarts, counted/signaled by the referee/s.

On one hand it works and keeps the game at a pace. The count also starts when the plsyer is in position/ready which is good - so you are not “penalised” for fetching the ball.

But it’s not football.
It looks like IFAB could learn a lot from Futsal. Futsal also has a challenge-based video review system which is miles better than the VAR system IFAB came up with (presumably, while drunk) for football.

Call me cynical but maybe FIFA are deliberately letting IFAB mess up football's laws while introducing sensible laws for futsal? FIFA can say "look, we know what we're doing. IFAB doesn't." I'm sure FIFA would love to takeover 100% of football's rulemaking at some point in the future.

It looks like IFAB could learn a lot from Futsal. Futsal also has a challenge-based video review system which is miles better than the VAR system IFAB came up with (presumably, while drunk) for football.

Call me cynical but maybe FIFA are deliberately letting IFAB mess up football's laws while introducing sensible laws for futsal? FIFA can say "look, we know what we're doing. IFAB doesn't." I'm sure FIFA would love to takeover 100% of football's rulemaking at some point in the future.
Futsal’s book has become more and more aligned with football’s. The sections and wording are mostly “identical” until the specific deviations. (Subs, cumulative fouls, 4 second restarts, DOGSO guarded/unguarded goal etc etc).

I thought IFAB wrote both - maybe someone can explain?

I have not seen or heard about futsal’s VAR challenge in action (but I will ask my chief who is a Uefa observer). It is such a different game. So much smaller, faster, more technical, less fluid. It’s not football.

8 Seconds instead of 6
Why draw attention to this FFS?
Take the number of seconds out of the equation if anything. Better still, just don't mention it! Why highlight something we want to keep buried?
Unless of course we want VAR running a timer. Madness IMO

8 Seconds instead of 6
Why draw attention to this FFS?
Take the number of seconds out of the equation if anything. Better still, just don't mention it! Why highlight something we want to keep buried?
Unless of course we want VAR running a timer. Madness IMO
I think 8 seconds, with the referee counting down with fingers will be perfect.

No need to VAR it, basically refs finger counting discretion.

I think increasing the time has been added because of the dramatic Pickford (and every other keeper who is 1-0 up in the first 15mins) clutch the ball to the chest and lay on the ground.

8 seconds doesn't penalise the keeper who has actually made a fully stretched save and has recovered the ball, they now have reasonable time to adjust themselves, stand up, and distribute the ball, without being rushed and on the flipside if I keeper want to run down 8 seconds, let them.

Meaning a referee will feel justified penalising them as they have had adequate time.

I think 8 seconds, with the referee counting down with fingers will be perfect.

No need to VAR it, basically refs finger counting discretion.

I think increasing the time has been added because of the dramatic Pickford (and every other keeper who is 1-0 up in the first 15mins) clutch the ball to the chest and lay on the ground.

8 seconds doesn't penalise the keeper who has actually made a fully stretched save and has recovered the ball, they now have reasonable time to adjust themselves, stand up, and distribute the ball, without being rushed and on the flipside if I keeper want to run down 8 seconds, let them.

Meaning a referee will feel justified penalising them as they have had adequate time.
How shall we count my lord?

If we’re going to count down for the goalkeeper, we should also have to count down for throw-ins. And then we’d have aching fingers at the end of every game.

How shall we count my lord?
Then we will get complaints that he took 8.3 seconds, so it must be corruption not to award the free-kick.

With all this timing, they will need more game clocks than the NFL to referee the game. One for the game, some for sin-bins, one for the GK holding the ball.....

1709542875915.png

I'm a big fan of the penalty kick change, that encroachment is to only be penalised if it's impactful. That's the way most people have refereed anyway, but backing it up in law is very handy.

The handball/penalty one is interresting.

Does this mean "denial of a goal" by handball is only a yellow card now if it's considered not deliberate (thinking something akin to Harry Kewell's red card against Ghana at the 2010 World Cup) - or will that be another separate consideration.

Obviously, will depend on how exactly they word things....

The encroachment change at penalties will make my life a LOT easier.

Am i right to think i will only involve myself IF a defending player gets involved when a goal is not scored directly?

Last edited:
The encroachment change at penalties will make my life a LOT easier.

Am i right to think i will only involve myself IF a defending player gets involved when a goal is not scored directly?
You should already be doing that!

It will mean you only get involved if a goal isn’t scored directly if an attacker encroaches. (Or if their encroachment directly impacts the keeper or taking of the penalty somehow)
it also means if a defender encroaches but the keeper saves the penalty and holds the ball, you wouldn’t get involved.

You should already be doing that!

It will mean you only get involved if a goal isn’t scored directly if an attacker encroaches. (Or if their encroachment directly impacts the keeper or taking of the penalty somehow)
it also means if a defender encroaches but the keeper saves the penalty and holds the ball, you wouldn’t get involved.
Currently, if a goal is scored and an attacker encroaches it's a retake. That's what i do - as per LOTG.

This rewrite will stop that and me having to enforce a retake.

What do you do?

Currently, if a goal is scored and an attacker encroaches it's a retake. That's what i do - as per LOTG.

This rewrite will stop that and me having to enforce a retake.

What do you do?
You previously mentioned a defender getting involved. If a defender gets involved but a goal is scored, then you allow the goal.

Back