A&H

Level 3 referee marking criteria

TheKidMaN

Hi everyone

I was wondering are there any quidelines for assessors how to mark Level 3 referees ?
I hope to be promoted to Level 4 this season but I want to make step forward and prepare myself for Level 3 if I am good enough I will try to go for it.

Thank you very much

The Referee Store
Hi everyone

I was wondering are there any quidelines for assessors how to mark Level 3 referees ?
I hope to be promoted to Level 4 this season but I want to make step forward and prepare myself for Level 3 if I am good enough I will try to go for it.

Thank you very much
Yes there are and they are about to change (again). The L3 and L4 (and 2B) performance criteria are all being aligned into a single group. Current observers are going through an integration process with one trial report having been submitted and a second one due by January 22nd. With the FA's usual sense of humour, the text for this second report was sent out on Christmas Eve.

Keep your eyes on the Resources section at the top of the page and you might see the new handbook, with performance criteria, making an appearance in there in late February/early March.

Thank you very much Brian

That was very helpful.

As a very experienced and knowledgable person can you give me any tips/advice in regards of refereeing on that level ?
I am 32 and very fit. Currently very focused on refereeing and I would like to improve as much as I can so I will take everything.

Regards

Thank you very much Brian

That was very helpful.

As a very experienced and knowledgable person can you give me any tips/advice in regards of refereeing on that level ?
I am 32 and very fit. Currently very focused on refereeing and I would like to improve as much as I can so I will take everything.

Regards
Get your Level 4, get a few of those observation reports under your belt, then we'll talk. Between now and then, be in the right place at the right time to see everything, then make the right decision, communicate it effectively, apply sanctions as required and never let the game get away from you too far. Finally, manage stoppages effectively and don't play advantage in the defensive third unless the ball is in the goalkeeper's hands

Get your Level 4, get a few of those observation reports under your belt, then we'll talk. Between now and then, be in the right place at the right time to see everything, then make the right decision, communicate it effectively, apply sanctions as required and never let the game get away from you too far. Finally, manage stoppages effectively and don't play advantage in the defensive third unless the ball is in the goalkeeper's hands

My second observation of this season, I was marked down for applying advantage after an offside shout. Ball ran straight through to the keepers hands (interfering player was about 30 yards out). The keeper couldn't kick for toffee from the floor, yet after the first 4-5 kicks he continued taking them despite his team mates offering to. He, surprisingly had a monstrous kick from his hands so, I deemed it more advantageous for him to do so then give him an extra 10 yards to kick from the floor; I knew he'd still reach the same mark. Observer asked me why and told me I shouldn't do that after the game: I explained why I continued. "Oh, that makes perfect sense actually. Well done, good thinking".... He still marked me down and put that as a development point. Bloody observers!!! :rolleyes:

My second observation of this season, I was marked down for applying advantage after an offside shout. Ball ran straight through to the keepers hands (interfering player was about 30 yards out). The keeper couldn't kick for toffee from the floor, yet after the first 4-5 kicks he continued taking them despite his team mates offering to. He, surprisingly had a monstrous kick from his hands so, I deemed it more advantageous for him to do so then give him an extra 10 yards to kick from the floor; I knew he'd still reach the same mark. Observer asked me why and told me I shouldn't do that after the game: I explained why I continued. "Oh, that makes perfect sense actually. Well done, good thinking".... He still marked me down and put that as a development point. Bloody observers!!! :rolleyes:

It has been said on here before, the above is not advantage! It is procession, there is no enhanced attacking potential from the goal keeper having the ball. The other point is "has the offside actually occurred in law?"

Simply call, "keep going, you have the ball" to the goalkeeper.

From an Observers point of view, I feel that it showed a lack of awareness of what advantage is and you are just trying to "tick off" advantage on the Observers checklist. While I don't mark down, I do comment as a development point - ask some others on the forum....

Reactions: es1
:wall:

The only route to make L3, is get your L4! Don't worry about L3 yet!

I echo everything that @Brian Hamilton says - and make no mistakes!. Too often, I have seen a promotion candidate not do a caution in the last couple of minutes for the "club mark" and has been marked down by the Observer....:wall::facepalm:

It has been said on here before, the above is not advantage! It is procession, there is no enhanced attacking potential from the goal keeper having the ball. The other point is "has the offside actually occurred in law?"

Simply call, "keep going, you have the ball" to the goalkeeper.

From an Observers point of view, I feel that it showed a lack of awareness of what advantage is and you are just trying to "tick off" advantage on the Observers checklist. While I don't mark down, I do comment as a development point - ask some others on the forum....

Advantage

The referee allows play to continue when an offence has occurred if this benefits the non-offending team.

Surely the above constitutes an advantage (as it is described in the good book) in the situation I described? An offence occurred (the player interfered) but I allowed play to continue because it was more advantageous to do so? Yes they have possession of the ball and I see where you are coming from, but I see that situation as an advantage purely because if I was to stop play, despite there being a good 15 yards of extra ground, the goalkeeper wouldn't have been able to kick it as far. That's just my take on it. I try officiate to the letter of the law, the book clearly states what an advantage is.

If the GK has a weak ground kick, it's upto the team to manage that...not you.

Apart from that...can only echo what has already been said.

Advantage
The referee allows play to continue when an offence has occurred if this benefits the non-offending team.

Surely the above constitutes an advantage (as it is described in the good book) in the situation I described? An offence occurred (the player interfered) but I allowed play to continue because it was more advantageous to do so? Yes they have possession of the ball and I see where you are coming from, but I see that situation as an advantage purely because if I was to stop play, despite there being a good 15 yards of extra ground, the goalkeeper wouldn't have been able to kick it as far. That's just my take on it. I try officiate to the letter of the law, the book clearly states what an advantage is.

Allowing play to continue is not the same as advantage. A referee is not require to award free-kick for every offence.

What you are doing is allowing play to continue. Signalling advantage means that play is to continue and it the advantage does not accrue, then pull play back for the original offence.

Would you pull play back if the keeper kicked the ball directly onto touch? Or to an attacker? If not, why are you signalling advantage when they have simply retained procession.

As Observers, we have further guidance on what is required. I assume as a L4 you will have seen the Supply League guidance, which specifies this better.

I completely get what you're saying. Of course, if the keeper fluffed his attempt play would continue... As I shout advantage, he'd get the ball... the fact he scuffs his kick would be a case of him not using said advantage. I do get your point about the difference between advantage and possession. :)

If not, why are you signalling advantage when they have simply retained procession.
Isn't that what an advantage is, in hindsight? If you call for the advantage and the player then gets dispossessed, you'd bring it back depending on the situation? I wouldn't shout advantage if the team had lost possession?

Happy New Year by the way gents.

I saw the ref at a Gillingham match who played advantage from on offside flag.

It did confuse me, but I can understand why at that level you'd want to make it obvious to players and spectators that he'd seen the flag but allowed play to continue as it went straight to the keeper.

There is a subtle, but important, difference between letting play continue and playing advantage. Since being in an offside position is not an offence in itself you can't apply advantage but you can allow play to continue.

There is a subtle, but important, difference between letting play continue and playing advantage. Since being in an offside position is not an offence in itself you can't apply advantage but you can allow play to continue.

Correct. But being in an offside position and interfering with play is ;) So, continuing play from an offence when the non-offending team has the ball could well be classed as playing advantage. That said, I do see where Mr 22 is coming from with his comments.

Back