A&H

Level 7

Gabriel

Serial whistler
After a season stuck at Level Y due to age, in July I will become a Level 7. I already have a youth league which I intend to continue officiating with next season, but I'll also look for an adult league potentially. What levels can you actually officiate as a level 7? For example, I'm in the region of quite a few OA leagues which are the equivalent of Step 8/9 (I'm aware these levels don't technically exist!), and wondered if you can ref on these?
Edit: if it's of any help to answering, I'm South Staffs/West Mids sort of direction.

The Referee Store
After a season stuck at Level Y due to age, in July I will become a Level 7. I already have a youth league which I intend to continue officiating with next season, but I'll also look for an adult league potentially. What levels can you actually officiate as a level 7? For example, I'm in the region of quite a few OA leagues which are the equivalent of Step 8/9 (I'm aware these levels don't technically exist!), and wondered if you can ref on these?
I know our step 5/6 league will let you on the line as a level 7. So might be worth exploring that if you are turbo keen.

But the higher up the steps you go, the greater the expected travel. Guessing you've just turned 16, so you won't have a car, so you will be somewhat limited.

Most Sunday Leagues will accept you, and many Saturday Leagues will, although some may not appoint you to their Premier Divisions.

It's all league and region dependant!

Might be worth having a look at which leagues you can run the line on at OA. Get a few months under your belt doing that, and then start doing middles.

I've just been reading up on the Midland Football League, West Midlands (Regional) League and Staffordshire County Senior League. Seems I have plenty of options. The MFL would be as an AR only in all likelihood, with the potential for a couple of Div 3 middles reading their rules. Similar for the WMRL, although the SCSL say they offer opportunities for anyone from newly qualified to L5/4+ as middle and AR so would sound like the best option to start with. It looks like I'll have no trouble finding a league.
Might be worth having a look at which leagues you can run the line on at OA. Get a few months under your belt doing that, and then start doing middles.
100%. I don't have any intention of doing OA middles until September/October time, and that's only if I've had plenty of lines to get confidence going. As the above leagues are all Saturday leagues, I could start doing middles on the higher levels of my youth league on a Sunday as a way of bridging the gap between U13/14 and OA.

On a side note related to this, one of the leagues near me comes under a different CFA to my parent CFA, although I live in the region of 15-45 mins from the majority of the teams. Is this one where I can officiate on that league anyway, or would I need to run this by the 2 CFAs first?

From what I gather, the CFA you are affiliated to wouldn't matter in this situation. You can dual-register if you wish, but not doing so wouldn't affect anything. My parent CFA is Manchester FA but I've done games with a Cheshire FA league for years, without being dual-registered. Hasn't made any difference to me.

Definitely recommend getting some lines in on the leagues that will let you.

I have done (ignore my signature at the bottom it's so out of date) about 12 lines this season on the Wilts Senior League (and a few senior cup games) and have learnt so so much from experienced officials. Even little things like tightening up my hand signals and things that your 2 day course may not have had a chance to cover. Genuinely think doing these lines has meant I am even close to a shot at my promotion (4w-3w).

Definitely recommend getting some lines in on the leagues that will let you.

I have done (ignore my signature at the bottom it's so out of date) about 12 lines this season on the Wilts Senior League (and a few senior cup games) and have learnt so so much from experienced officials. Even little things like tightening up my hand signals and things that your 2 day course may not have had a chance to cover. Genuinely think doing these lines has meant I am even close to a shot at my promotion (4w-3w).
Thanks for the advice!
(ignore my signature at the bottom it's so out of date)
Not sure if my stats show up or not but I don't even know if they're right. I haven't updated it in so long.

Hi again, sorry to bring this back! I've just seen a post from the North West Counties Football League (steps 5&6) who are accepting applications from Levels 7-5 officials to act as ARs next season. They have teams quite close to me in Div 1 South, but also teams very far (3+hours potentiall in Div 1 North). I'm quite interested in this and considering whether to apply or not. Would you say this would be good for development or too high too soon? There is also the Staffordshire County Senior League (3 divisions, so Steps 7-9) near me as an alternative, which is a lower level. From those who have lots of experience, which would you say would be best for me as I do want adults football experience on the line.

Working in teams of three with regular observation and coaching that you get in the higher leagues is priceless.

But you won't be in the middle and step 5/6 is very different from the local open age you'll need to get your level 6 & 5.

I do recommend doing the lines and supplementing them with middles in your local league. But it just depends how much time you can dedicate towards refereeing.

Working in teams of three with regular observation and coaching that you get in the higher leagues is priceless.

But you won't be in the middle and step 5/6 is very different from the local open age you'll need to get your level 6 & 5.

I do recommend doing the lines and supplementing them with middles in your local league. But it just depends how much time you can dedicate towards refereeing.
Considering I'm still school age, midweeks won't be often but at the weekends I'll nearly always be available one day, if not 2. 5/6 lines are something I can consider over the summer whilst I'm doing some friendlies to see how it goes.
Edit: anyone on here officiate on the NWCFL? What's it like (admin, help etc)?

Last edited:
Considering I'm still school age, midweeks won't be often but at the weekends I'll nearly always be available one day, if not 2. 5/6 lines are something I can consider over the summer whilst I'm doing some friendlies to see how it goes.
Edit: anyone on here officiate on the NWCFL? What's it like (admin, help etc)?

I was on it as AR a couple of seasons ago, from what I recall I didn't have any issues. If Debbie is still doing the appointments you'll be absolutely fine. I only came off it after being promoted to 4.

I was on it as AR a couple of seasons ago, from what I recall I didn't have any issues. If Debbie is still doing the appointments you'll be absolutely fine. I only came off it after being promoted to 4.
Yes it's still Debbie according to the post. Sounds great! I'll email at some point and ask how to apply etc.

I've just been reading up on the Midland Football League, West Midlands (Regional) League and Staffordshire County Senior League. Seems I have plenty of options. The MFL would be as an AR only in all likelihood, with the potential for a couple of Div 3 middles reading their rules. Similar for the WMRL, although the SCSL say they offer opportunities for anyone from newly qualified to L5/4+ as middle and AR so would sound like the best option to start with. It looks like I'll have no trouble finding a league.

100%. I don't have any intention of doing OA middles until September/October time, and that's only if I've had plenty of lines to get confidence going. As the above leagues are all Saturday leagues, I could start doing middles on the higher levels of my youth league on a Sunday as a way of bridging the gap between U13/14 and OA.
WMRL is a fantastic league. Their ref secretary is fantastic as well. Ive been on this league since I moved to Wolverhampton for University and the support in getting me through my promotion criteria and getting me experience working with NARs has been amazing. They are really good at getting you games that are close by or as little travel as possible, especially for me as I cannot drive yet.

I recommend joining this league as a first port of call, met so many great officials that have really upped my game through their advice and techniques.

WMRL is a fantastic league. Their ref secretary is fantastic as well. Ive been on this league since I moved to Wolverhampton for University and the support in getting me through my promotion criteria and getting me experience working with NARs has been amazing. They are really good at getting you games that are close by or as little travel as possible, especially for me as I cannot drive yet.

I recommend joining this league as a first port of call, met so many great officials that have really upped my game through their advice and techniques.
I thought about WMRL as I'm 10 minutes from Wolves city centre but I couldn't find any of their contact details. If you have them could you PM me and then I can message them first before moving into Step 5/6 straight away (it would also be of benefit because WMRL is actually under my CFA, but many aren't).

Back