A&H

Lightning

Aled

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
During my game tonight there were a number of flashes of lightning however the bangs followed some 15-20 seconds later so I adjudged that it was far away enough not to be a danger.
When would you class lighning as a hazard and time to suspend/abandon the game?

A&H International
Unless you're a trained meteorologist then it's tough to say. I would suggest that if the sound follows less than 8 seconds after the flash, then it's time to leave the field and take shelter in changing rooms NOT under the nearest tree. Then again if you're so distracted that you are spending time counting the gap between the flash and the noise, then it's time to suspend.

Thanks, the flash and bang were quite a distance apart so it was ok and the boys were enjoying the challenge as the weather wasn't that nice so I left it

Agree with Brian, we had a freak number of incidents involving thunderstorms a few seasons back (when I wasn't even a glint in my mentor's eye) and they said don't bother with counting anything, just stay extra-focused on the game and you will notice if it is affecting the game so much as to suspend play. Straight to changing rooms - be careful with any history from what you have already played. A good 10 minutes and check again. A good trick pointed out to make the rest of the game easier, if the facilities allow get everyone in the one room/area together and address them at the same time, the experience of everyone sitting and getting warm again together, gives the impression everyone is in it together against the weather, dissent, petty handbags incidents and the like almost non-existent in the remainder of the game. Of course use common sense - if the game is less than savoury be sure to segregate the teams.

Will changing rooms be provided for all those pitches that don't have them?

Were you tempted to break into a couple of verses of the ac/dc classic "thunderstruck"? :)

Great song.

Thunder!!! Na ner na nerr na na nurrrr!

Were you tempted to break into a couple of verses of the ac/dc classic "thunderstruck"? :)

Great song.

Thunder!!! Na ner na nerr na na nurrrr!
Always have this blaring in the changing room, winds up the teams something awful if it's a joined Portakabin effort though! Considering a cup to the wall to listen to the team talks, I'm a bit nosey

You just get proper weather in Canada. In the uk we kinda get weather lite for the most part. Rain starts. One or two rumbles of thunder, quick blast of sheet lightning, rain stops and normal service is resumed!

Back