A&H

Lincoln v Wycombe

Cool, some people let emotion overule facts
I also think for any new referees reading here, I think it's a fairly basic and common instruction that you should stop the game immediately if there is a possible head injury - in youth games, with no exceptions, in OA maybe allow a few seconds depending on the context.

Do you have any contrary guidance?

The Referee Store
I also think for any new referees reading here, I think it's a fairly basic and common instruction that you should stop the game immediately if there is a possible head injury - in youth games, with no exceptions, in OA maybe allow a few seconds depending on the context.

Do you have any contrary guidance?

Correct, head injury equals immediate stoppage, or as close to immediate as posible. That 10 seconds could end up being fatal, and that isn't emotion overruling facts.

Reactions: JH
Correct, head injury equals immediate stoppage, or as close to immediate as posible. That 10 seconds could end up being fatal, and that isn't emotion overruling facts.

Think I've seen one concussion in 22 years in the game.
Where is this mythical league that players are dying from head injuries every week?
Please tell me under what circumstances 10 seconds is going to be fatal?
Never seen an ambulance arrive that fast

Isn't 1 concussion in 22 years reason to stop the game? Just in case. Do you really want to be saying to the parents, 'well it's only happened before once in 22 years and I thought he wasn't really injured at the time?'.

I think what hes saying is delaying it (if an obvious chance for a goal) for say 4-5 seconds isn't going to make any difference at all.

I think what hes saying is delaying it (if an obvious chance for a goal) for say 4-5 seconds isn't going to make any difference at all.
Symptoms of concussion include loss of consciousness and vomiting (along with a head knock, those two things are pretty much enough to diagnose it pending later confirmation of other symptoms).
Someone who vomits while unconscious is just about the biggest safety risk that doesn't involve external active threats that I can think of.
A few seconds is potentially the difference between recovery and brain damage or death. For what, the teams coming tenth and eleventh in the reserve grade for a Step 7 league to maybe have the chance if scoring a goal?
Head injury = stop immediately. Doesn't need to be any more considered than that.

Player safety is absolutely paramount as far as I'm concerned. You don't allow play to continue because you think that 9 times out of ten, the player receiving a head injury (or other apparently serious injury) is probably going to be OK, you stop it because of the one time out it ten that it might turn out to be something more serious.

As for the circumstances where 10 seconds might be fatal, anyone who has worked in emergency medicine could give you plenty of examples. Having said that, we don't only stop play because we think the player might die, we stop whenever we think they might need urgent attention.

I was reflecting on this the other day: with the advent of the new drop ball Law I’ve found myself stopping the game more frequently for injury.

I think it’s because, if I can stop the game while a team has the ball in the defensive or middle third, the restart is now more fair than it useto be.
Agreed, it has become a very effective game management tool

Think I've seen one concussion in 22 years in the game.
Where is this mythical league that players are dying from head injuries every week?
Please tell me under what circumstances 10 seconds is going to be fatal?
Never seen an ambulance arrive that fast

Been knocked out twice on a football pitch. Just stop the game for a head injury. Why wouldnt you?

Isn't 1 concussion in 22 years reason to stop the game? Just in case. Do you really want to be saying to the parents, 'well it's only happened before once in 22 years and I thought he wasn't really injured at the time?'.

You think I wouldn't stop a game for an UNCONSCIOUS player? Where did I say that?

Player safety is absolutely paramount as far as I'm concerned. You don't allow play to continue because you think that 9 times out of ten, the player receiving a head injury (or other apparently serious injury) is probably going to be OK, you stop it because of the one time out it ten that it might turn out to be something more serious.
As for the circumstances where 10 seconds might be fatal, anyone who has worked in emergency medicine could give you plenty of examples. Having said that, we don't only stop play because we think the player might die, we stop whenever we think they might need urgent attention.

More like 999,999 out of a million he's going to be okay. By your logic, just abandon the game. There's a tiny chance someone will break a leg so best not risk it. Player safety is a paramount after all!!
Once again what medical intervention is coming in 10 seconds?
Also, I absolutely agree the game will stop if a player might need urgent attention. A sore head is not urgent.

Been knocked out twice on a football pitch. Just stop the game for a head injury. Why wouldnt you?

Because a "head injury ref" doesn't = unconscious

Symptoms of concussion include loss of consciousness and vomiting (along with a head knock, those two things are pretty much enough to diagnose it pending later confirmation of other symptoms).
Someone who vomits while unconscious is just about the biggest safety risk that doesn't involve external active threats that I can think of.
A few seconds is potentially the difference between recovery and brain damage or death. For what, the teams coming tenth and eleventh in the reserve grade for a Step 7 league to maybe have the chance if scoring a goal?
Head injury = stop immediately. Doesn't need to be any more considered than that.

Once again, unconscious is the important word here

You forgot something really important in your first sentence.

"Symptoms of concussion CAN include"

They don't always. I've seen bad concussions that didn't have either of those as symptoms when the incident happened.

You forgot something really important in your first sentence.

"Symptoms of concussion CAN include"

They don't always. I've seen bad concussions that didn't have either of those as symptoms when the incident happened.
The symptoms of confusion include those things. There's no "can" needed. Likewise the symptoms of a broken bone include said bone sticking out of the skin - doesn't mean every broke bone will end up like that

You think I wouldn't stop a game for an UNCONSCIOUS player? Where did I say that?
It's necessarily implies by the fact that you will play on for any length of time. How are you going to know that a player lying facedown on the ground is not unconscious, unless and until you've stopped play to go check?

We don't abandon games because of the risk of a broken leg, but we sure as hell don't play in when it actually happens, either.
The risk before the game is negligible. The risk after it happens is 100%. There's a big difference between the two...

It's necessarily implies by the fact that you will play on for any length of time. How are you going to know that a player lying facedown on the ground is not unconscious, unless and until you've stopped play to go check?

We don't abandon games because of the risk of a broken leg, but we sure as hell don't play in when it actually happens, either.
The risk before the game is negligible. The risk after it happens is 100%. There's a big difference between the two...

An unconscious player is easy to spot.
Neither man in the OP is unconscious.
I've never had an unconscious player ever and would stop the game immediately if I did.

The symptoms of confusion include those things. There's no "can" needed. Likewise the symptoms of a broken bone include said bone sticking out of the skin - doesn't mean every broke bone will end up like that
Problem with your phrasing is that it comes across as "if there's no loss of consciousness or vomiting, it's not a concussion."

Concussion is an odd thing, and delays before treatment can be very dangerous.

Poor officiating definitely.

If when the ball initially broke in the penalty area the striker had immediately shot and scored then you could understand it because it can take a few seconds to register what has happened and from a sporting perspective they couldn't really say there was an injustice.

But he had ample time to stop play in the end. Most importantly, he left two players who could have had a seriously injury and delayed getting treatment on to them. And even if they weren't head injuries I think you could make a strong case for stopping the game in such a circumstance considering the significant impact the two defenders have on the move by playing attackers onside and blocking from the goalkeeper from being able to come for the cross.

Back