A&H

long ball getting caught out

Kent Ref

RefChat Addict
As i am now in my 60s i am getting caught out more and more often by that long ball (60 yards plus) unless i am 100% sure i am not giving fouls that are being asked for.

I'm a pretty fit man but it seems that age has finally got to me.

Generally teams accept it but recently a defender said he was fouled on the goal-line after a quick break-away and as i saw two players come together and nothing else i awarded the goal. The "fouled" player went down and stayed down for a minute or so.

Is this age telling me that open age and under 18s are proably best left to others?

The Referee Store
As i am now in my 60s i am getting caught out more and more often by that long ball (60 yards plus) unless i am 100% sure i am not giving fouls that are being asked for.

Generally teams accept it but recently a defender said he was fouled on the goal-line after a quick break-away and as i saw two players come together and nothing else i awarded the goal. The "fouled" player went down and stayed down for a minute or so.

Is this age telling me that open age and under 18s are proably best left to others?
Explore the opportunities within walking football, which is in need of experienced referees coming over from the regular game. The game is not the pedestrian affair seen on old adverts but a very competitive version of football.

Keep going as long as you can. Age group games will be easier physically, but you said you're a pretty fit man and it sounds like you're in your early 60s so I'd personally keep going & retain your fitness. If it's grassroots you're refereeing then some of the players aren't exactly Usain Bolt either!

Crack on

One of the things I have seen older or less fit experienced refs do is get better at “cheating” on position. Take more advantage of where you expect things to go. The other “trick” is to keep moving into a call when you were farther away than you’d like. It can make it feel li,e you were closer to play than you were. I’cve watched a couple of guys do 19U or high school games where my first thought was they had no chance physically of doing the game who were able to use the combination of good management and craftiness to sell thing’s extremely effectively. So, @Kent Ref , my advice would be pay attention not to the occasional catch outs, but to your overall game. If you’re still having fun and controlling games, why not keep at it for the games you like best? (And if those aren’t the games you like best, ditch them!)

. . . and if and when you do decide to start to step away from refereeing regularly, please help the refereeing fraternity by acting as a Match Day Coach, a mentor, an observer, a Referee Developer (Trainer) . . . lots of our colleagues applaud the idea, too few do it!

If they are playing at a level where there are no fitness requirements (level 5, 6 7) then what do they expect.

You are better than their own gaffer.

You are more experienced than I ever will be. But I see referees older/less physically able referees regularly make penalty decisions from the center circle.

It is a common sight in grassroots.

It is a direct link to the shortage of referees.

Back