A&H

Looking to Next Season

freddier

Level 7 Referee
I'm really happy with how this season went as my first: about 30 games and finished it off with a cup final AR appointment last weekend. I've mainly done U13 games this season (I'm a youth ref so limited up to U14) but I'm not sure what would be best for next season.

I turn 16 pretty early into next season so my options widen up (becoming L7). I'll start the season with U13 and U14 games but then where do I go? I'm considering AR in a local women's league, or even a midweek U18 league. There's also the simple option of carrying on with youth games maybe U15s and up.

What do you think would be best for me to progress??

A&H International
From my experience:

I got on a Step 7 Open Age League as an AR, doing about 3 games for experience in a very different environment, with L5s, and former L4s and L3s.

I then moved into a few U18 middles, integrated with U14-16, and was unexpectedly given a League Cup (Open Age) middle after around a month or so. Was a very tough game, multiple cautions and dismissals, but I had a matchday coach (I've been running for double promotion this season), but it gave me confidence to move into a Sunday League.

From there I spent my season doing U18/21 and some lower County and Sunday League Open Age middles. I also kept up with 12 games on the line across County and League Cups, as well as the Step 7 league.

It's given me a huge confidence boost. Very tough at times - yes, but with the support of the county, fellow referees etc, it can be a great experience.

I'm now nearly 17, and only have to do one more in person session for my L5, then my sights are set on L4, as even if I fall short, I'll learn so much from trying. Going to be operating as an AR on a Step 5-6 league next season too hopefully.

It's less advice, but that's the framework I've used, and I would reccomend it as a general pathway to build confidence.

Thanks - I always find it helpful to see what other people have done.

I think the two biggest hurdles for me are going to be reffing people older than me and then stepping up to do open age games.

Back