A&H

Made up rules

QuaverRef

I used to be indecisive but now i'm not so sure
Level 4 Referee
What’s your favourite rules which players have thrown at you on the pitch? Today, I sin binned a player for dissent after already calling him and another player in together and asked them to calm down. When I sent him to the sin bin, his response was ‘that’s a joke ref, the rules say you can’t warn more than one player at the same time so I’ll be taking that up with the FA!’

The Referee Store
Mostly Laws 11 & 12
Few players gave me a synopsis, but I couldn't believe them

What’s your favourite rules which players have thrown at you on the pitch? Today, I sin binned a player for dissent after already calling him and another player in together and asked them to calm down. When I sent him to the sin bin, his response was ‘that’s a joke ref, the rules say you can’t warn more than one player at the same time so I’ll be taking that up with the FA!’
you should have told him threre are no rules in football and watched the puzzled look on his face 17 laws old chap

Twice today a free kick in the box was played by a defebder in the box so blew to have it retaken. After the 2nd time a player said the first is a warning, 2nd time is a free kick to us!

EPL Referee today saw a player move up the line 15yards from where the throw should have been taken from, he spotted it and blew the whistle and pointed where it should have been from, player then ignored him, moved another 2 yards forward and he allowed the throw to stand!! I was fuming that he didn't reverse it!!!!!

“I’m not going to let a thirteen year old kid tell me what to do.” From an adult at a 10U game. (A long time ago...I was twelve.)

More seriously, “my shoulder not my arm” or “it’s not handling because my arm was against my body (when deliberately used to propel the ball).”

'Leave it, You cant shout that ref!!!' was the most repeated blurb!!

Best retort though.....

How long have you been refffing??? 'Its my second game but don't worry the first one got abandoned!!!'

Ref, he can't play it off the ground!!

One I heard from a local first grade coach - there's no such thing as accidental handball in the box!

That one confused me....I mean....he's been in the game that long that he would have seen it a LOT......

Not a made up rule as such but:
Foul given against player
"Ref what is that?"
"It's a foul"
"What for"
"It's a foul"
"What for though"
"It was a trip"
"It was never a trip, if you said a pull I could understand that"
"So you agree it was a foul?"
"Yes, but it was never a trip, you don't even know why you've given it"
"What are you arguing with me for when we agree it was a foul?"
"Because it wasn't a trip"
:wall:

Not a made up rule as such but:
Foul given against player
"Ref what is that?"
"It's a foul"
"What for"
"It's a foul"
"What for though"
"It was a trip"
"It was never a trip, if you said a pull I could understand that"
"So you agree it was a foul?"
"Yes, but it was never a trip, you don't even know why you've given it"
"What are you arguing with me for when we agree it was a foul?"
"Because it wasn't a trip"
:wall:

Joking aside, thats a good summary of the pitfalls of explaining things...many a red been wiped out, notably for vc cos the ref gave a diff explination to what went on, hence....
Whats the red for?
Violent conduct...is the reply..

Reactions: JH
Joking aside, thats a good summary of the pitfalls of explaining things...many a red been wiped out, notably for vc cos the ref gave a diff explination to what went on, hence....
Whats the red for?
Violent conduct...is the reply..
Which is why I originally just said 'it's a foul', at that point I should have just said 'move on please', I got dragged into his fake argument.

Yip I used to work often with a top flight ref who made the biggest priority of his prematch, dont discuss anything
He got stung on a tv game, and since then, it was, a foul, an offside, a violent conduct.

Reactions: JH
"I am the captain. I can ask you questions."

"I can take throw ins further back if I want"

Back