A&H

Man City v spurs

Hoosier Ref

Level 7 Referee
I just turned it on and saw the replay. Can anyone tell me why Mendy didnt get a card for attempting to strike Lamela in the 92nd min? Wow. Right in front of AR2 and it was a clear swing/attempt to strike that missed

Last edited:
The Referee Store
I just turned it on and saw the replay. Can anyone tell me why Mendy didnt get a card for attempting to strike Lamela I. The 92nd min? Wow. Right in front of AR2 and it was a clear swing/attempt to strike that missed

He throws his arm out in a a strop because he didn't get a free kick, he wasn't trying to punch Lamela. Firstly, nobody misses a punch by that much and secondly, Lamela would've reacted if Mendy had thrown a punch at him. I haven't seen a proper punch thrown on a football pitch for about 30 years!

Walker clattered through the back of Moura, who was in an offside position, long before he became active but offside was given against Moura.

Sterling runs and stands over a free kick, Lamela kicks it at them. Friend has a word with them both and gives a retake.

Walker clattered through the back of Moura, who was in an offside position, long before he became active but offside was given against Moura.

Sterling runs and stands over a free kick, Lamela kicks it at them. Friend has a word with them both and gives a retake.

Unfortunately, standing in front of the ball at a free kick is one of those things that's been allowed to creep into the game unpunished for so long that punishment isn't even expected. Same as walking off the pitch as slow as possible during a substitution.

Sure looked to me like Lamela was into Mendy's back to the point of a forearm into the back of Mendy's head. Looked like Mendy didnt appreciate it and spun taking a swipe at the guy (Lamela) behind him. Min of a yellow to me and I could care less about either team. Could argue red, but likely yellow for retaliating after the contact to the back of his head. I just cant get on board with nothing there

You can't caution in that situation for me, without giving them the chance to respect your orders to get away. If you caution Sterling there you tell all the players, when you get a free-kick, boot it at the nearest player and get them a caution. It was almost immediate after the ball was placed and I think Friend was correct to not caution. Probably warned Lamela to let him deal with it rather than boot it at his opponent. If Sterling had run and stuck his leg in front of the ball, yes caution. Just standing there, tell them to get away and if they don't, caution. Just my take.

Different incident I believe. Sterling not involved in what I saw. Video too big. Ill try to clip and post it

If Sterling had run and stuck his leg in front of the ball, yes caution. Just standing there, tell them to get away and if they don't, caution.

He's not just stuck his leg out. He's run and stopped in front of the ball. You'd card on Sunday morning.

Aguero kicking the ball away in about the 15th minute allowed for it to digress to the point where players were taking the piss. They knew cards weren't coming.

Edit - spot on with Lucas dive though.

Last edited:
When a player runs 15 meters from opposite end to come and STOP in front of the ball in a free kick, that invites the opponent to kick it into him. Sterling should have been cautioned there. Had he continued retreating, even slowly, then it's play on.
Retake without a caution is WRONG in law. It's like giving an IFK for dissent without cautioning.

Last edited:
Commentator made a point regrading Sterling and the stopping quick free kick, did Lamela try and actually take the quick free kick by trying to pass to another Spurs player (does it matter).

Sterling should have been yellow carded but could Lamela have got a yellow as well for unsporting behavior ?

Thought Kevin Friend had a good game overall, but missed the Mendy incident.

Commentator made a point regrading Sterling and the stopping quick free kick, did Lamela try and actually take the quick free kick by trying to pass to another Spurs player (does it matter).

Sterling should have been yellow carded but could Lamela have got a yellow as well for unsporting behavior ?

Thought Kevin Friend had a good game overall, but missed the Mendy incident.

Problem here is every free kick in the opponents half players run in front of the ball. They even shout at each other to do it. It's only when someone kicks it at the defender that it's ever noticed but it happens 10-15 times a game. Just like dissent, holding in the box at corners etc, it's been allowed to go on for so long that its just accepted now as part of the game

At junior level which i cover you hear all the time "stand on it" i always shout to the player "dont stop the take"

Again it comes down to managers not knowing laws and think its fine to stand a yard away from the taker.

At junior level which i cover you hear all the time "stand on it" i always shout to the player "dont stop the take"

Again it comes down to managers not knowing laws and think its fine to stand a yard away from the taker.

Every team I played in knew that you weren't allowed to do it, we also knew we wouldn't get punished so we did it. Everyone knows you cant do it in law

He throws his arm out in a a strop because he didn't get a free kick, he wasn't trying to punch Lamela. Firstly, nobody misses a punch by that much and secondly, Lamela would've reacted if Mendy had thrown a punch at him. I haven't seen a proper punch thrown on a football pitch for about 30 years!
Sure looked to me like Lamela was into Mendy's back to the point of a forearm into the back of Mendy's head. Looked like Mendy didnt appreciate it and spun taking a swipe at the guy (Lamela) behind him. Min of a yellow to me and I could care less about either team. Could argue red, but likely yellow for retaliating after the contact to the back of his head. I just cant get on board with nothing there
At a minimum its booking for acting in a aggressive manner surely?

Who watched the game with the idiotic US commentary of games in your head...... ‘ball on the move, 50,40,30, their in the 20, pass, shoot...... touchdown City Hotspurs! 🏈🏈🏈

When a player runs 15 meters from opposite end to come and STOP in front of the ball in a free kick, that invites the opponent to kick it into him.
That changes the context completely, I thought he was already there before he stood in front of it.

Back