A&H

Man City vs Arsenal

Really? I thought Atwell dealt with a very tough game relatively well. Not saying it’s one of the best performances of the season, but nowhere near Tierney’s disasterclass 2 weeks ago with Spurs Vs Liverpool.

I agree, that was a really difficult game and he on the whole dealt with it really well.

The Referee Store
MOTD>BT Sport
Bordering on non ref discussion here, but BT Sport is easily the worst as a package for analysis. Poor commentators, poor punditry, both in terms of analysis on football and refereeing. Back it up with Peter Walton spouting nonsense nearly all the time, and overall it’s not enjoyable.

Amazon Prime have the best commentators, Sky Sports have the best punditry analysis, and who can’t enjoy MOTD, although I don’t enjoy certain people on there now. But for me, BT just spouts rubbish.

Arsenal, no pen, either real time ( well done ref) or in the spaceship ( well done var, getting an easy call correct from multiple angles)
City, no pen, old chestnut, get a pal and go for a jog today, ask him to at some point unexpectadly pull your shirt. You wont end up on the ground, with your hands out in front to cushion your fall. The first part of the play sees the City player looking to go over the Arsenal players knee, ( simulation)
When that chance is not as clear as it looked a split second ago, he feels a pull and swan dives, Cheating,
Atwell was brilliant motioning " get up" and, hopefully in olden days, without var, we would have seen the game stopped and a yc for simulation,
That City player the very second he is about to turn the defender has only one thought in his head. To get a pk, by any method. Sadly, he had a guardian angel willing to answer his plea.

Last edited:
I have one argument in terms of the city penalty, if a players shirt gets pulled, it's a foul and clearly the city's player shirt was pulled so why shouldn't it be a penalty? Is it as we all know we see shirt pulling at times and nothing gets given?

I can only imagine Attwell did not see the shirt pull hence VAR got involved and therefore a penalty was given.

• Sad
Reactions: ARF
Someone, presumably the original AR was late arriving to stadium, turned up about 30 minutes into the game and took on 4th official duties for the remainder of the half.
I’m guessing most referees/assistants have had that dream (nightmare) where they are travelling to and realise they’re going to be late for a game at least once during their career? Please tell me I’m not the only one who’s had it? 😱

I’m guessing most referees/assistants have had that dream (nightmare) where they are travelling to and realise they’re going to be late for a game at least once during their career? Please tell me I’m not the only one who’s had it? 😱
Frequently, and it's always something to do with me not being able to find my stuff to pack AND my supposed lift has gone out for the day.

I have one argument in terms of the city penalty, if a players shirt gets pulled, it's a foul and clearly the city's player shirt was pulled so why shouldn't it be a penalty? Is it as we all know we see shirt pulling at times and nothing gets given?

A shirt pull is not, on its own, a foul. In order to be a holding offence it must impede the opponent. This particular opponent was not impeded on his journey to the ground.

Someone, presumably the original AR was late arriving to stadium, turned up about 30 minutes into the game and took on 4th official duties for the remainder of the half.

The original AR1 was taken ill pre game and was replaced by Kevin Friend.
Nobody was late.
The chap who arrived later was a replacement who had to make his way to the ground.

A shirt pull is not, on its own, a foul. In order to be a holding offence it must impede the opponent. This particular opponent was not impeded on his journey to the ground.

Be in no doubt what we see here is rehearsed, calculated, devious, and is just simply cheating.
Soon as the City player gets that ball, he already knows in his head he has no plans to shoot or cross. His only intention is, to go down.
Realising the outstretched opponents knee which was an option, is no longer there, release plan 2, hit the deck by any means possiblle

disgustingly it was wrapped up and sold to the eye in the sky. Welcome to the circus.
Rotten to the core, but makes for the end game, fantastic entertainment

Be in no doubt what we see here is rehearsed, calculated, devious, and is just simply cheating.
Soon as the City player gets that ball, he already knows in his head he has no plans to shoot or cross. His only intention is, to go down.
Realising the outstretched opponents knee which was an option, is no longer there, release plan 2, hit the deck by any means possiblle

disgustingly it was wrapped up and sold to the eye in the sky. Welcome to the circus.
Rotten to the core, but makes for the end game, fantastic entertainment
Yeah, sure. His shirt dived into the opponent's hand.

When was the last time you fell forward when someone pulled you back?

the answer, is, never.

if you fall forwards, with both your arms amazingly out in front of you, when you have been pulled back, you are cheating.

This is a practised art, performed on this occasion to perfection.

in a perfect world we yellow card here for simulation ( attempting to decieve the referee) By falling forward after being pulled back extreme deception has occured and sadly, prevailed.

Last edited:
I said it’s a penalty originally, and I don’t have a problem if anyone thinks it’s a pen. But he definitely goes down easy, that’s surely undisputed. The outrage on the decision is due to how easy Bernardo goes down. Dont turn this into another fan discussion, it’s been a good thread so far

Actions have consequences. If you get a full hold of someone's shirt in the area you are taking a huge risk, and if that player then chooses to milk it you only have yourself to blame. I think there is enough grabbing of the shirt to call it holding, and when you throw in the outstretched leg as well there is more than enough for it to be a penalty.

I'm less sure on whether VAR should have recommended a review as there have been far more obvious penalties where a review wasn't recommended.

Actions have consequences. If you get a full hold of someone's shirt in the area you are taking a huge risk, and if that player then chooses to milk it you only have yourself to blame. I think there is enough grabbing of the shirt to call it holding, and when you throw in the outstretched leg as well there is more than enough for it to be a penalty.

I'm less sure on whether VAR should have recommended a review as there have been far more obvious penalties where a review wasn't recommended.

the outstretched leg tho is not illegal.

to look at it and go, oh hiya am throwing myself over you, is.

It is a pen for me. You can’t blame players for going down easy when they get results. You don’t get rewarded for being honest and staying on your feet. I don’t think it’s C and O, and I think a lot of people in football hate seeing this sort of thing because of Bernardo going down as he did.

I was saying to bloovee though, I thought it was undisputed that Bernardo went down easy. Can you blame him? No. Did he go down too easy though? Yes

When was the last time you fell forward when someone pulled you back?

the answer, is, never.

if you fall forwards, with both your arms amazingly out in front of you, when you have been pulled back, you are cheating.

This is a practised art, performed on this occasion to perfection.

in a perfect world we yellow card here for simulation ( attempting to decieve the referee) By falling forward after being pulled back extreme deception has occured and sadly, prevailed.
Well, he was pulled sideways not back, but let's face it if it was Salah falling forwards from a hand on his shoulder, the word "outrage" would be nowhere. Ronaldo penalty last week?

And the "highlights" didn't show Jesus being wrestled down in the PA, or this - which I'd have wanted to go to VAR (and it might have done if Dias hadn't been offside).

the outstretched leg tho is not illegal.

to look at it and go, oh hiya am throwing myself over you, is.

Did he hold him, yes or no? He has a clear handful of his shirt, and whilst I agree that wouldn't make him go over it probably did prevent him progressing forward. We all know that there is an unwritten rule that you don't get a penalty if you stay on your feet, which unfortunately has been caused by referees over many years, so I don't really blame players for exaggerating the fall when there has been an offence against them.

The only person getting the blame here should be Xhaka for yet another moment of stupidity.

Well, he was pulled sideways not back, but let's face it if it was Salah falling forwards from a hand on his shoulder, the word "outrage" would be nowhere. Ronaldo penalty last week?
Both Ronaldo and Salah take a lot of criticism for how they go down. Salah was universally mocked as a diver for a long time, and still is. Meanwhile Ronaldo had multiple accusations of cheating for how he went down against Norwich, but that was a pen. Did Ronny need to throw himself down to the floor and scream? No. Did he win the penalty he deserved because he did that? Yes. But to act like there’s some conspiracy against City players is insane, especially to bring up two players criticised more than anyone for “diving.”

Back