A&H

Man U v Arsenal

Jorik0907

Feisty affair so far with five yellow cards in about as many minutes. Do we reckon the Rojo tackle was a red?

The Referee Store
My first thought on Rojo was red. On the replay you could probably argue it's an 'orange'.

Fun game so far surprisingly.

The offside was so tight, so difficult to know for sure that it was offside (and I'm a city fan who wouldn't want united to win a raffle never mind a football match). Rojo tackle could've been a red, as the post above said, "orange".

AM is having a good game here. The ball hit him on the back just then which stopped an Arsenal attack and then He have a free kick with his back turned because of it and absolutely everyone knew he couldn't possibly have seen it with his back turned...

Also Fellaini pulling Guendouzi's hair. Never seen any foul like it, but am probably sending him off for that. At the very least another orange

AM is having a good game here. The ball hit him on the back just then which stopped an Arsenal attack and then He have a free kick with his back turned because of it and absolutely everyone knew he couldn't possibly have seen it with his back turned...

That was a ridiculous decision. I could completely understand Fellaini's reaction to that, there's no credibility to give that when he couldn't even see it!

That aside, I thought the match was an interesting one for the officials. Is hair pulling a red card or yellow? :dead:

That was a ridiculous decision. I could completely understand Fellaini's reaction to that, there's no credibility to give that when he couldn't even see it!

That aside, I thought the match was an interesting one for the officials. Is hair pulling a red card or yellow? :dead:

I think UEFA have set the standard for that when Ronaldo was sent off for pulling an opponents hair, not sure if the FA have the same opinion of that though 🤔

Ronaldo got red for it in champions league. It's VC.

Edit:a tad too late :)

Interesting tribute to the Gary Crosby vs Andy Dibble goal tonight. Lacazette headed the ball out of the ‘keeeper’s outstretched hand.

Has the law been changed since the Crosby goal or should it have been disallowed as well? @Peter Grove @one

A goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball when:
  • the ball is between the hands or between the hand and any surface (e.g. ground, own body) or by touching it with any part of the hands
    or arms except if the ball rebounds from the goalkeeper or the goalkeeper has made a save
  • holding the ball in the outstretched open hand
  • bouncing it on the ground or throwing it in the air
A goalkeeper cannot be challenged by an opponent when in control of the ball with the hands.

Weird that the lotg says yellow for shirt pull but doesn’t mention hair pull specifically and we automatically assume it’s red, I’m not arguing it’s not VC but it’s whats your thoughts?

IIRC the Q&A it was changed to say it was an offence, then changed to say it wasn't, then changed to say it was.
Actually, I only have one full set of Q&A's from before 2004 (the 1990 edition) and it did not address this scenario one way or the other. In 2004, it was included with the following wording:
Q. After taking possession of the ball, a goalkeeper allows it to lie on his open hand. An opponent comes from behind him and heads the ball from his hand. Is this permitted?
A. This is permitted since the goalkeeper does not have full possession of the ball and the action of the opponent is not dangerous.

The very next year, in 2005 it was changed to:
Q. After taking possession of the ball, a goalkeeper allows it to lie on his open hand. An opponent comes from behind him and heads the ball from his hand. Is this permitted?
A. No.

(Incidentally, I don't know if there were any Q&A's between 1990 and 2004 but if there were and anyone has them, I'd love to get a copy.)

It is perhaps worth noting that it was not until 2007 that the wording was introduced into the Laws document itself stating that a goalkeeper who is in possession of the ball with the hands cannot be challenged.

I had a look for YouTube videos of the Crosby/Dibble incident and found it interesting that although the referee in the game allowed the goal, the commentators said they thought most referees would not have done so, and in one clip there was an interview with FIFA referee George Courtney who said that he would not have allowed it as he felt it was contrary to the 'spirit of the laws.'

There's an obvious distinction with the Ronaldo incident, That was VC. This was in the course of play, and we know that you can kick a player while challenging for the ball and get away with a YC rather than a red for SFP while the same force when the ball was nowhere near would be VC.

There's an obvious distinction with the Ronaldo incident, That was VC. This was in the course of play, and we know that you can kick a player while challenging for the ball and get away with a YC rather than a red for SFP while the same force when the ball was nowhere near would be VC.

i don't think the ball being near should have an impact, pulling someones hair doesn't involve the ball, it's an act of violence and should be treated as such no matter if the ball is in playing distance or not, however that is just my take

Back