A&H

Manager abuse

Ori

So at what point do you deal with managers and is it a red or yellow card?

I referee a lot of u18 games and majority of the time the coaches are great. Sure you get the odd “ref!!! That’s a foul or never a foul”.

that said, I had one where apart from every single decision being questioned and then some “you’re not fit to referee” and then some colourful language.

I tend to ignore most things, but at what point do you intervene at what actions do you take to what?

The Referee Store

I referee a lot of u18 games and majority of the time the coaches are great. Sure you get the odd “ref!!! That’s a foul or never a foul”.

that said, I had one where apart from every single decision being questioned and then some “you’re not fit to referee” and then some colourful language.

I tend to ignore most things, but at what point do you intervene at what actions do you take to what?
Best of getting it nipped in the bud as soon as you can with a public rebuke as it’ll end up making its way onto the pitch with the players. If they don’t get the hint, next stoppage in play, get a card issued, colour of your choice depending upon words they’ve used.

The players will also get the message that you’re not standing for it and will also aid your match control.

Shouts like "Not a foul" can be ignored most of the time.
"Colourful" language, presumably Offensive/Insulting/Abusive, should result in a dismissal of the coach. Most would give the coach one warning first. Sadly many referees ignore the offence, which makes it more difficult for those who do the job properly.
The option to caution for dissent is also there.
Remember that the coach cannot be sent away if they are the only responsible adult with the team, but can be sent off and allowed to remain as long as they behave. If they continue to be a pain, abandon the game and report the issue.

Best of getting it nipped in the bud as soon as you can with a public rebuke as it’ll end up making its way onto the pitch with the players. If they don’t get the hint, next stoppage in play, get a card issued, colour of your choice depending upon words they’ve used.

The players will also get the message that you’re not standing for it and will also aid your match control.

Not just words as well, you've got other offences.

deliberately leaving the technical area to:

show dissent towards, or remonstrate with, a match official

act in a provocative or inflammatory manner.

I dismissed for that earlier this season.

Know your laws, show them you know them and there's not a lot the managers can reply with...

Not just words as well, you've got other offences.

deliberately leaving the technical area to:

show dissent towards, or remonstrate with, a match official

act in a provocative or inflammatory manner.

I dismissed for that earlier this season.

Know your laws, show them you know them and there's not a lot the managers can reply with...
So which of those is yellow and which of those is red?
Same as players or harsher?

As soon as they cross the line. In a senior women's game I gave a first and final warning to a coach in the first minute. I'd stopped play due to a head injury and restarted with a dropped ball right in front of the benches (before the end of contested dropped balls). Away team agreed to play it back to home team, home team coach went apoplectic saying it was their ball as they had it when I stopped play. Perhaps he could see into the future and knew the law change was coming, but he got read the riot act and I didn't get a peep out of him for the rest of the game.

If you ignore it they will just continue and it will get worse. Set them up for a fall by very publicly telling them off as soon as they go beyond what is acceptable, that way if they do it again and the sanctions come there can be no complaints.

I wait for the next the next stoppage. I shout across to the coach, point to the badge and say "i thought i was the referee today? If it carries on i will show you what happens next".

I always back-up this threat.

I wait for the next the next stoppage. I shout across to the coach, point to the badge and say "i thought i was the referee today? If it carries on i will show you what happens next".

I always back-up this threat.
While this may work for you, I would not recommend it to new refs, as it may come across as confrontational and has the potential to aggravate rather than get compliance. (Not a criticism of @Kent Ref--but not every strategy that works for some refs is a strategy that generalizes well.)

To continue there… when you warn someone, it’s important that everyone knows who you have warned… this helps sell any future decision to the fans, coaches, players and informs your ARs.

If you shout at a crowded bench, no one knows the warning was for white 12 when they get a soft looking reckless YC 5 mins later.

Same with ARs. If you verbally warn someone, make sure it is obvious who. After the match when your referee asks about that white5 orange tackle and if it should have been red … if you are the AR that says “oh yeah I had to tell white5 to calm down and sit down a few times before he came on”… been there!!!

Think of stepped approach… if you are giving a verbal warning, there are good reasons to do the ceremony. Isolate the player/coach just enough, use body language/gestures if it helps. Then everybody knows.

While this may work for you, I would not recommend it to new refs, as it may come across as confrontational and has the potential to aggravate rather than get compliance. (Not a criticism of @Kent Ref--but not every strategy that works for some refs is a strategy that generalizes well.)
Agree, each to their own but I would never advocate shouting at someone from a distance, for two reasons. Firstly it could come across as overly aggressive / confrontational and showing a lack of self control, but it also leaves doubt as to who you are actually shouting at.

Simple RC for this comment.

I would never advocate shouting at someone from a distance, for two reasons.
No, I prefer to shout at someone up close.

In all seriousness tone is extremely important, and different people will each respond differently to the way you speak to them. Part of refereeing, particularly at grassroots, is reading different people and judging what their response will be to your actions. This weekend I very firmly and loudly warned a coach for, as the law puts it “low-level disagreement” - asking for every decision, waving his arms around, huffing and questioning even indisputable decisions. This was about 15 minutes into the game and he was the sort of (older) coach who had clearly been involved at grassroots for years and got away with consistent low-level dissent every game. I certainly read him correctly as after that I didn’t hear another word from him, and even got a sincere apology after the game.

Such methods don’t work on everybody though, sometimes it’s better to have a quieter chat in a more approachable tone. Some other managers and coaches may have seen my telling off to the coach last weekend as perhaps aggressive or confrontational, to which they would respond rather differently. It’s impossible to read everyone correctly all of the time, and sometimes it can even lead to escalation of a situation, but it’s good to at least try a nuanced approach depending on the person being spoken to.

No, I prefer to shout at someone up close.

In all seriousness tone is extremely important, and different people will each respond differently to the way you speak to them. Part of refereeing, particularly at grassroots, is reading different people and judging what their response will be to your actions. This weekend I very firmly and loudly warned a coach for, as the law puts it “low-level disagreement” - asking for every decision, waving his arms around, huffing and questioning even indisputable decisions. This was about 15 minutes into the game and he was the sort of (older) coach who had clearly been involved at grassroots for years and got away with consistent low-level dissent every game. I certainly read him correctly as after that I didn’t hear another word from him, and even got a sincere apology after the game.

Such methods don’t work on everybody though, sometimes it’s better to have a quieter chat in a more approachable tone. Some other managers and coaches may have seen my telling off to the coach last weekend as perhaps aggressive or confrontational, to which they would respond rather differently. It’s impossible to read everyone correctly all of the time, and sometimes it can even lead to escalation of a situation, but it’s good to at least try a nuanced approach depending on the person being spoken to.
Absolutely no issue with a very public warning for a manager or coach, my point is don't be shouting it from the middle of the pitch.

One thing that works well for me is stopping the game from restarting after ball gone out of play then walking rather than running to the coach. By the time I’ve reached him, he’s calmed down, knows he in for a bollocking and a possible fine. If he’s aggressive or confrontational by the time I get there he’s getting a booking at least

One thing that works well for me is stopping the game from restarting after ball gone out of play then walking rather than running to the coach. By the time I’ve reached him, he’s calmed down, knows he in for a bollocking and a possible fine. If he’s aggressive or confrontational by the time I get there he’s getting a booking at least
That's only a valid approach if you have something like Darth Vader's theme playing in your head on your walk over there though... ;)

Back