A&H

Junior/Youth Manager getting sent away... Then not again

So...step 2.. You attempt to dismiss manager....manager says 'aha, you can't, I'm the only...etc etc',,,..you back down and continue the game waiting for the manager to do something else?

The Referee Store
So...step 2.. You attempt to dismiss manager....manager says 'aha, you can't, I'm the only...etc etc',,,..you back down and continue the game waiting for the manager to do something else?
Depends on his attitude with that comment.
If he's being deliberately sarcastic and irritating, that's step 3 already, therefore abandoned.
If he says it in a more 'professional' manner, then I'd continue, yes.
The way you've described it, seems like the comment is made in a manner to be sarcastic and prove a point to the ref, so in that case, I'm done and off home

A coach (if qualified!) has to be A first aider, he doesn't have to be THE first aider.
As the referee, you cannot assume the role of first-aider to a team, however qualified you are!
I'm not saying you should or should not be - but where is this formally defined? And taking it a step further, the club where I am a qualified coach, and also end up having to referee numerous matches, if I had to dismiss a home manager (which, if deserved, I would have no compunction in doing), there is a rule/law somewhere that I cannot act as the qualified/certified adult for the team, whilst someone else "coaches". What if were the age group that I do actually coach? What about matches where there is no allocated referee, and a manager has to do the middle - can they play both roles but we cannot?

I would accept its not wise to be both the referee and the responsible adult for a team, but I'm also fairly sure there's nothing that formally prohibits it (assuming you have appropriate checks/qualifications in place).

Just out of interest, if a manager can't be dismissed, how are they often sent to the stands in the top flight?!?

I'm not saying you should or should not be - but where is this formally defined? And taking it a step further, the club where I am a qualified coach, and also end up having to referee numerous matches, if I had to dismiss a home manager (which, if deserved, I would have no compunction in doing), there is a rule/law somewhere that I cannot act as the qualified/certified adult for the team, whilst someone else "coaches". What if were the age group that I do actually coach? What about matches where there is no allocated referee, and a manager has to do the middle - can they play both roles but we cannot?

I would accept its not wise to be both the referee and the responsible adult for a team, but I'm also fairly sure there's nothing that formally prohibits it (assuming you have appropriate checks/qualifications in place).
As the appointed referee, we are there in a paid position of behalf of The FA, CFA, League & appointing officer. Therefore, that is our sole job and intention of being there (thus, we can't act on behalf of a team as a physio).

Just out of interest, if a manager can't be dismissed, how are they often sent to the stands in the top flight?!?
Managers CAN be dismissed, but we've been talking specifically about a situation where that manager is the only first-aid responder there. At the top level, there is 1 neutral league-appointed medic, as well as club physios, doctors and local ambulance paramedics

@DanCohen17 ah okay, yeah I fully understand that about the first aider situation. Thanks, I thought there was something else I'd misinterpreted :)

If he needs to be dismissed, he needs to be dismissed and the match needs to be abandoned. If he doesn't need to be dismissed, however acts in a way which verges on irresponsible behaviour within the technical area, then he needs to be told in no uncertain terms that a continuation of that behaviour will lead to a dismissal and an abandonment.

I think Dan's comment is hinting at the right thing but it is important to note that if the manager does something worthy of dismissal then he must be dismissed; but referees are urged to consider whether their tolerance level for what is dismissal worthy is perhaps too low.

Back