A&H

Marking the pitch

Mick.

RefChat Addict
I know that the keeper shouldn't make marks on the pitch (caution) but what sort of marks do/can they make? Does it count as marking the pitch when the goalie makes a little mound from which to kick the ball for a goal kick (a bit like rugby players used to do for conversions)? Why would keepers make such marks?
This is an offence that I am aware of but I don't know if I have seen it or not as I don't know what to look out for.

The Referee Store
I've seen some keepers make a mark in the middle of the 18 yard area, apparently is so they could guage where the middle of the goal was.

The ones 'keepers make to take the goal kicks are usually for two reasons:
• To keep the ball still on a windy day
• To get more height on the ball because you can get more underneath the ball.

An I right in thinking that this isn't an offence? I suppose it could be, but you see it at every level in the game and it is rarely punished.

The ones 'keepers make to take the goal kicks are usually for two reasons:
• To keep the ball still on a windy day
• To get more height on the ball because you can get more underneath the ball.

An I right in thinking that this isn't an offence? I suppose it could be, but you see it at every level in the game and it is rarely punished.
This is not an offence.

The offence is in relation to GK's making 'scratch marks' on the 6-yard-line in line with either post and the middle of the goal. They are used as reference points for the GK. (This is coming from an ex-GK and now a GK coach!)

Back