A&H

may have juuuuuust been onside...

richard ramjane

RefChat Addict
Aguero i mean....:confused: no one has mentioned that call from last nights game yet.... i'm struggling with this one tbh.
Even if the AR thought Yaya headed the ball, could he not have flagged once Aguero ran off kissing his wrist and celebrating?

The Referee Store
Yeah, the covered this ad infinitum last night on TV, but no one mentioned the two obvious things for me:

1) the lino and the ref are mic'd up and who scored could be very quickly resolved
2) regardless of this, even if there was a suggestion of offside isn't it safer just to put the flag up? It's a natural stoppage in play anyway.

2) regardless of this, even if there was a suggestion of offside isn't it safer just to put the flag up? It's a natural stoppage in play anyway.
The proper signal here is to hold stationary, no flag, no run up the line to indicate goal.

This indicates to the referee that there's potentially something wrong with the play which might invalidate the goal, but that you're not 100% certain. Conversation between AR and referee would resolve that and then you'd either signal for an offside, foul (both with the flag), or goal (by running up the line).

what would you do though if the ref ignored you, and then was like 'this guys a weirdo, and a terrible linesman, his just standing there' and then decided to kick off again and carry on ...

do you just let it be then have a pop at the ref at half/full time? or if you see he isn't getting the jist, give him a call/wave of the flag?

It's something that should be confirmed during the pre-game, but it is a directive from "on high". If he's still not getting it, stick up your flag and stand there until he blows the whistle and comes over.

what would you do though if the ref ignored you, and then was like 'this guys a weirdo, and a terrible linesman, his just standing there' and then decided to kick off again and carry on ...

do you just let it be then have a pop at the ref at half/full time? or if you see he isn't getting the jist, give him a call/wave of the flag?
They get a lot of that on the TV games

The post-goal offside always looks awful but is difficult to avoid in some occasions. To the non-referees it always looks like the referee has gone over and told the AR to give offside.

As a neutral AR I've often been told "I'd rather have a late flag than a wrong flag" and I think that exactly right. But having said that, there's nothing worse that being in the middle and having a CAR give a late flag to save his team from conceding a goal...

As a neutral AR I've often been told "I'd rather have a late flag than a wrong flag" and I think that exactly right. But having said that, there's nothing worse that being in the middle and having a CAR give a late flag to save his team from conceding a goal...

This was no CAR though.
And the advice you received was right. A late flag is always better than an early one or an incorrect one.
All I can assume is the AR thought that Toure had nodded the ball in rather than Aguero, bu that still doesn't excuse him for not at least getting the referee's attention and clarifying once he saw Aguero running away to celebrate his goal. The AR just bottled it IMO. :cool:

Back