A&H

MCI vs AV

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrumRef

Regular Contributor
Level 7 Referee
For City’s goal, Jesus was obviously in an offside position although Mings touched it first, is that an offside offence?

The Referee Store
I'm fuming as a city fan for villa. Didn't celebrate the goal. That just has to be offside, has to.

I thought it was off. He cones from a clear offside position, yes mings touches it deliberately but not enough time in-between. Not saying I'm right, just my opinion. Be interested what everyone else thinks

It wasn't Jesus, it was Rodri. It isn't offside as Mings has taken a controlled touch, that resets the offside. It could only be offside if Rodri's position and movement prevented Mings from playing the ball (interfering with an opponent), which it clearly didn't, or the ball rebounded from Mings (gained an advantage), which again it didn't.

Peter Walton should be fired from his position as he is paid to know the laws and he obviously hasn't kept up to date. He's just backtracked after the PL released a statement and said it was onside.

It wasn't Jesus, it was Rodri. It isn't offside as Mings has taken a controlled touch, that resets the offside. It could only be offside if Rodri's position and movement prevented Mings from playing the ball (interfering with an opponent), which it clearly didn't, or the ball rebounded from Mings (gained an advantage), which again it didn't.

Peter Walton should be fired from his position as he is paid to know the laws and he obviously hasn't kept up to date. He's just backtracked after the PL released a statement and said it was onside.

He has just clarified it and agrees it's not offside.

I hate that this is a legitimate goal though.

So do I, especially as an ex defender, but there is just no way that can be offside under the current laws. Rio Ferdinand has just said that no defenders read the laws of the game so they don't understand the offside law, these are footballers with lots of spare time so I would ask who's fault it is if they don't understand them.

I very much appreciate Robbie Savage saying its a goal and a terrible decision by Mings as opposed to Ferdinand saying its a poor decision from the officials. This is why we get moaned at on a sunday morning.
Rodri isn’t within playing distance for Mings to affect him getting to it.

its clear onside (imo)

So do I, especially as an ex defender, but there is just no way that can be offside under the current laws. Rio Ferdinand has just said that no defenders read the laws of the game so they don't understand the offside law, these are footballers with lots of spare time so I would ask who's fault it is if they don't understand them.

Yeah I laughed at Rio there, players should know the law. Clueless!

If that's a "controlled touch" then maybe I could be an EPL defender too!
If this is onside then I don't see how an attacker coming back from an offside position can EVER be offside

If this is onside then I don't see how an attacker coming back from an offside position can EVER be offside
The laws don’t mention controlled touch. Mings deliberately plays the ball and Rodri for me meets 0 criteria for interfering

I'll admit to being of such an age that I don't remember the offside law being massively different. But I really don't understand the fuss here. How has a coach got himself sent off for arguing with that? It's as much an offside discussion as City's second!

The relevant part of law is below. There is no doubt whatsoever he deliberately played the ball, under the current law there is no requirement for him to control it. The only way it could be classed as gaining an advantage would be if the ball rebounded off him or he "saved" it, and that clearly wasn't the case here.

A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball, including by deliberate handball, is not considered to have gained an advantage, unless it was a deliberate save by any opponent.

Not much sympathy after Grealish injured Walker and De Bruyne without a card. As an AR at my level I think I'd side with the defender but I'm not sure you should help out a Premier League defender who makes a mess of a clearance.

I think that's the point. He's an EPL defender, you're not.

Not much sympathy after Grealish injured Walker and De Bruyne without a card. As an AR at my level I think I'd side with the defender but I'm not sure you should help out a Premier League defender who makes a mess of a clearance.

Don't think there was much in either tbh, just standard fouls

Even Macca seemed to know the rule, well at least initially as he never stood by his belief it was not offside, he seemed pretty unsure himself so I doubt he read the laws either.

Btw I thought the pen was spot on, villa defender almost caught the ball, hands above the shoulder as well I think. Surprised it was not a yellow as it blocked either an attempt on goal or header across the 6 yard box.

Would this have been offside 10 years ago? I'm going to have to have a look at an old copy of LOTG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back