A&H

Me and my big mouth!

Matthew

RefChat Addict
As you may remember, I had a little moan a couple of weeks ago about a very one sided game.

Well, this morning I reffed my first game since then. Why didn't I keep my mouth shut? Not one, but two mass confrontations, resulting in four red cards. Added to that, two yellows and more misconduct reports than I can count.

U18 Yellow v. Blue. Pretty innocuous first half with not much going on. Into the second half and mass confrontation number one. It came out of absolutely nowhere; nothing challenge that I blew up for and as I moved towards it, the two players just went for each other. They got in each other's faces and yellow threw a punch, to which blue retaliated. Cue team mates piling in to drag them away etc. I got the players isolated and dismissed them both.

The second one was pretty similar, yellow the aggressor again. Another pretty normal foul, but yellow just reacted ridiculously; they both had each other round the throats and yellow threw a punch AGAIN. It took four yellow players to drag him away. By this point, all the coaches were on the pitch too. I just stood back and tried to take everything in. Isolated both players again and dismissed them.

Between the two however, was one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen. The blue CAR (parent) actually put his hands on the yellow striker and pushed him. It was from a corner, I was already in position on the edge of the box when the CAR walked over to the taker, and they appeared to argue over where the ball was. I started to jog over and as I did, they were arguing and the CAR out his hand on the striker and pushed him. Pathetic! I obviously asked the manager to remove him. That's really got me annoyed, I couldn't believe it. I cautioned the yellow striker, which in hindsight, I'm not sure was right, but this was a couple of minutes after the first incident so I hadn't regained my composure.

Not sure what went on at the end, but there was an argument between the away team (yes, all of them) and the yellow manager. Obviously, the blue manager blamed me and said his players were only defending themselves (so? They both raised their hands, simple as). He's going to report me to the league and the FA apparently. Yellow manager accepted the reds and apologised for his players.

I've always dreaded having a mass confrontation, but I'm very happy with how I dealt with them and happy that my decision to dismiss the four players was correct. I was virtually on top of them so tried to intervene but quickly stepped back when I realised I couldn't. Got the correct players and just blasted on the whistle until it broke up.

I still can't believe what the CAR did.

I'll take an easy game every day of the week, it's days like this that make me wonder why I bother!

The Referee Store
Sounds mostly spot on but two things - 1) I hope the CAR is being reported for violent conduct? And 2) If the mass confrontations were bad enough report both sides for failing to control their players.

If the blue manager was out of order there is scope to report him but not worthwhile given all that's happened in the game.

The type of game which makes me realise why I love a caution very early!

Sounds mostly spot on but two things - 1) I hope the CAR is being reported for violent conduct? And 2) If the mass confrontations were bad enough report both sides for failing to control their players.

If the blue manager was out of order there is scope to report him but not worthwhile given all that's happened in the game.

The type of game which makes me realise why I love a caution very early!

Thanks Declan! :)

Can the CAR be reported for VC? I thought it'd have to be misconduct by a club official.

As I said, it came out of nowhere. There wasn't really an opportunity to even speak to a player, let alone caution.

It was violent conduct. Usually CARs are either subs or club officials generally but regardless of that he is still representing his club so in my eyes he is a club official.

the blue manager blamed me and said his players were only defending themselves

I had an incident similar where:
U15
a maroon defender went up and started punching the opposition keeper and the opposition keeper was startled but started trying to punch too (windmilling which is quite funny to watch). When I suspended the game the goalie got taken home by his mum and I still had to take his name as I would have sent him off if he was still there and the manager said 'Oh come on ref, youre not putting his name in too are you? he was defenseless, how else was he supposed to defend himself?' This being my 3rd game of the day (about 3.40pm after starting at 9am) i was just like 'yes i am putting his name in because he tried to throw punches which is violent conduct, if he wanted to remain clear of this then he could have just run away from the player and left me to deal with the player concerned, but no, he tried to retaliate, if you have a problem with this then take it up with Liverpool County FA, and im leaving it at that.'

So yeah, it happens but you just gotta let it blow over asap! :)

I had an incident similar where:
U15
a maroon defender went up and started punching the opposition keeper and the opposition keeper was startled but started trying to punch too (windmilling which is quite funny to watch). When I suspended the game the goalie got taken home by his mum and I still had to take his name as I would have sent him off if he was still there and the manager said 'Oh come on ref, youre not putting his name in too are you? he was defenseless, how else was he supposed to defend himself?' This being my 3rd game of the day (about 3.40pm after starting at 9am) i was just like 'yes i am putting his name in because he tried to throw punches which is violent conduct, if he wanted to remain clear of this then he could have just run away from the player and left me to deal with the player concerned, but no, he tried to retaliate, if you have a problem with this then take it up with Liverpool County FA, and im leaving it at that.'

So yeah, it happens but you just gotta let it blow over asap! :)

Three games in a day?! Brb coming to Liverpool

haha, if i do a full weekend, saturday ill do 4 games (up to and including u12s) at about 30 mins each way then sunday theres the potential for me to do 4 games, full 90 min 11 a side games haha!

I'm not sure was right, but this was a couple of minutes after the first incident so I hadn't regained my composure.

Im glad im not the only one. When the game gets heated and you're trying to defuse everything by slowing it down and cautioning players losing their heads - if it DOESNT calm down, I tend to try even harder to caution people before anything gets silly.

As for a (Parent) CAR pushing an U18 Player?

Thats ridiculous. Id put that in the same league has spectators abusing junior refs! Fringe child abuse!

Im moving slightly off point here so i apologise in advance but you young guys doing as many games as you can is mental you are doing youselve's more harm than good, your body needs time to recover or you WILL get injuries maybe not right now but in the future it is inevitable. Saturday and Sunday is one thing but 8 games in a weekend @Steve C is nothing short of ridiculous. I know i probably sound like a boring old fart but trust me i am right on this one!!

Not if you stand around doing nothing you wont !!!! :) Im struggling with 2 games ans line at the weekend more so the line Kills my knees and way too much sprinting !!!!!!.....well lets say fast jog ?? it feels like a sprint to me ;);)

@oliver byron its alright to be honest, im intelligent about my positioning i feel as I can see everything without having to run twice the distance! I feel like its a thing that works for me, im not tired during the game as such but after I collect all that money and get home, I will not do anything but lay in bed haha!

Most I will do is three in a day. By the second game I feel well and truly in the zone. But find by the end of the third I am tired and think it could effect my decision making.

The most ive done in a weekend so far is 2 sats and 4 sundays, 2 x 30mins e/w games on sat, and on sun 1 x 30mins e/w, 1 x 35mins e/w, 2 x 45mins e/w. It was alright to be honest, the saturday is 9v9 and the 11v11 games tend to be one sided in the morning and so the only real testers are in the afternoon which is only 1 or 2 games so its not too bad

I understand you may need the money but your body needs rest which aids recovery and i dont mean recovery from injury i mean recovery from the exercise you have been doing. If you look any sports person they they have rest days in between events/matches. It is like people who go to the gym everyday you really are doing more harm than good.

Back