A&H

Messing up an advantage

Nottsman

Cup game on Saturday morning, yellows are beating reds 1-0. Red player is clearly fouled on the edge of the yellow box, and I blow up. However, to my horror, I see that the ball has landed inside the penalty area to a red attacker who easily slots the ball home.

How do you sell it that you've made a mess up by not playing advantage?

The Referee Store
Yup, I just put my hands up and apologised.

It effected my performance too. In hindsight, I ended up giving a soft penalty to reds.

I did admit to both captains after I'd had a poor game and they said not to worry.

Don't worry, this must have happened to us all at some point. Sometimes you can't win - I've played advantage only for the attacker to blast over the bar with the goal gaping. Put it down to experience and jsut try and be a little bit more aware.

In your particular case with the ball in the defenders half, I now shout I have seen it and then see if I will play the advantage or call it back. Lets everyone know I have not missed it and stops any premature moaning.

On Sunday I blew for an off the ball incident to the defending team at a corner just as the GK caught the ball. I said forget the whistle, play on from your hands GK as I figured it was a disadvantage to take the FK in the 6 yard area. No one said anything.

I always try and let play continue as I scan to see where the balls gone or is going for second or two, the if no adavantage bring it back.

I tend to let games flow and if the attaches on his feet and has the ball still will let the game go on..depends on the league and quality of player that though.

Been there done that!!
And been assessed as well!

Hands up and a loud public apology and learn from your mistake, nothing more that you can do.
Hope that in 5 minutes time you get the exact scenario and you play a massive advantage and they score (just like in my game)

Now i always allow myself thinking time, just learn from it, we've all done it.

But the other week i had the whislte in my mouth whilst i was running (god knows why) and i hit an uneven part of the pitch which jolted me and made me blow my whistle, again god knows how, every one stopped and looked at me, then we all had a good laugh about it!!

Good advice above, but we can't really win.

Delay whistles for fouls too much and players will think you're either indecisive or just blowing "on appeal", or in bad games - both!

Hands up, public apology. This won't be the last time it will happen. You will see a free kick outside the PA with 8 defenders directly between him and the goal, and you blow the whistle as he performs the miracle shot into the corner of the net. It will happen.

Similar happened to me on Saturday just gone, no goal scored just in a good area.

Resultant freekick, went in the top left hand corner! A lot of luck involved with this refereeing lark!

Back