A&H

Metal caps on the goal line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

The metal caps are on the goal line, 4ft outside the goalposts. They cover the previous goalpost holders as this was changed from an adult to a junior u13 pitch, although the penalty area is actually still adult size. The covers are flat but metal and I have concerns of a slip or elbow etc onto this as it is on the field of play. I couldn't see anything on this in the LOTG and wondered if there were any views out there.

The Referee Store
From law 5:
"Such decisions may include a decision:

that the condition of the field of play or its surrounds or that the weather conditions are such as to allow or not to allow a match to take place"

I would not be very confident allowing the game to go ahead for safety reasons.

Also from law 1:
"The field of play must be a wholly natural or, if competition rules permit, a wholly artificial playing surface except where competition rules permit an integrated combination of artificial and natural materials (hybrid system)."

I may be clutching at straws but technically it's not either of these.

Overall I'd cancel for safety reasons and I'd be suprised if your RDO and colleagues didn't back you up.

Thanks. Does anyone know what covers are put on to cover the sprinklers at league grounds? I see that the best systems lower the sprinklers to well below turf level but I can't see what covers them up. Sounds like there'd be something artificial.

Please....its a flat or domed plate to protect and maintain previous goalpost sockets....the alternative is a bloody great leg breaking hole......

Keep some perspective here guys.............

But if a player were to catch a stud in the cap, a leg could easily be broken. And the alternative is surely not to leave a hole, but to actually take out the old holders? I've not noticed these before but I assume they're common on multi use pitches.

I’m to agree with @Mintyref on this. This really doesn’t sound any different from a sprinkler cover, and no. Ore dangerous than a bare spot of hard dirt on a grass field. Maybe I’m picturing it wrong, but this just doesn’t seem a big deal to me.

(And the artificial surface idea is clever, but still nonsense. That is not at all what that provision addresses. Cancelling for that reason would be absurd. The only possible reason to cancel would be if ITOOTR the caps created a dangerous playing condition.)

Call a game of because of this? I think I live on a different planet sometimes. Its not absolutely ideal, but dangerous? Absolutely not. Theres dangers everywhere if youre determined to find them. But football isn't a sterile environment.

If the covers are in the hole so that the top is flush with the ground and there are no sharp edges etc then i don't think they would pose a risk.

However if the tops of these covers were raised above the level of the ground, or there were sharp edges etc then that would be another issue altogether.

Basically I think that this is one of those things where we would need to be able to see these covers in order to make a call on whether we thought they were safe or not.

It’s hard to generalise without being there. It may be dangerous or it may not, and you have to decide on the day. The important thing is to inspect the fop before the game and make a decision about its safety. If you think something is dangerous then don’t start the game until it’s been dealt with. That’s the question you have to ask yourself, and this is why a pitch inspection is important.

I did a game many years ago. When I did my pitch inspection I found that the goal posts had been moved two yards to the left and put into metal boxes in the ground. The old boxes were still in place and had been left an inch proud of the surface - one was two yards inside the goal post, the other the same distance outside the opposite one. Anyone sliding across one of these would get seriously injured, and being on the goal line it’s likely someone is going to do this. If you check and miss something you cannot be held responsible. If you don’t check and someone is injured by something you could have seen you could be hung out to dry.

Are these covers sticking out of the ground so someone sliding across could get hurt? If so, they would be dangerous. If not then probably not.

Reactions: one
If they are reasonably close to the ground a small bag of sand should cover them safely enough.
What, the caps?.... why would you and if I remember correctly, small bags of sand were one of the essential refereeing items I never did get round to buying.....

Here in Australia a bag of sand costs under 5 dollars (about 2 pounds) and can sort out any divots, rabbit holes or (as here) metal caps. Seems like a sensible thing to have in the boot of your car...

Here in Australia a bag of sand costs under 5 dollars (about 2 pounds) and can sort out any divots, rabbit holes or (as here) metal caps. Seems like a sensible thing to have in the boot of your car...
But why would you? Surely not on the off chance you need to fill the rabbit hole that the grounds person missed?

How often is someone going to be in that area of the field?
Once in every fifty games someone slides over it. The question now, is a gashed thigh once in every fifty games an acceptable risk?

For clarity I am with the inspect and decide group. Not all of these are injury risks. But if they are don't start the game without mitigating them. I didn't have the OP but had the metal thingy that connects the nets to the base of the post sticking out. I asked for it to be fixed or no game. It delayed the game by about 10 minutes but they had it fixed.

How often is someone going to be in that area of the field?
Maybe quite a few times as they run in to score a well timed header at the far post, and then run over the metal cap. Are you taking into consideration the likelihood of a player actually being in that area as part of your thought process? Would it be different if it was the centre spot or corner flag?

I like that all of you are thinking about health and safety, but I'm afraid you really are turning into 'snowflakes'. Good health and safety is not about removing all risks, rather ensuring that the significant ones are controlled. If you need to co trol this one then what are you doing about all those nasty pegs holding the nets down, or those solid metal/wooden posts at each end of the pitch? Surely they'll need a protective layer of cushions.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back