A&H

Mike Jones, Chelsea vs. Bournemouth

JayMarple21

Thought Jones did a really good job again today. Foul detection was excellent, correct not to send Costa off as it would have been soft, penalty incident was 50-50. 2 yards away but his arm was out - very difficult one, you've seen them given.

Well done Mike Jones!!

The Referee Store
not one of my favourite sg refs by a long way, only slightly better than lee mason, but he was very good tonight

He was excellent today. Spot on not to award a penalty. The defenders arm was supporting him as he was sliding so not deliberate. I did however think Costa was VERY lucky to not be sent off. Could of easily got a second yellow either for his reaction to the first yellow or for kicking the ball away during the second half

Never have been and never will be Mike Jones biggest fan to be honest.

Stopped play a couple of times to dish out lectures without cards after fouls, when could easily have allowed play to continue and had a word at the next stoppage.

Penalty decision debatable, seen them given many times, although not screaming from the roof tops. Certainly not as clear cut as many that have not been given this season.

Not seen MOTD yet, close call for offside for Bournemouth's winner. (Not seen it completely side on) Made me laugh the amount of idiots on FB who have no idea with regard to the laws of the game. "Cahill was keeping them onside". Nah mate, keeper and defender or 2 defenders, not just 1!

Another generally poor performance from my boys in Blue again last night! Distinct lack of cutting edge in attack, crossing was mostly poor especially from corners, Costa looks well of the pace mentally and physically (has been all season), sloppy defensively. Hard to see where goals are going to come from. :mad:

My adopted home town club (moved to Bournemouth from London 8 years ago) deserved their win, Much more desire and commitment, generally looked like they wanted it more.

That was a penalty. What was the players arm doing out there...

Glad it wasn't given though :D

Opinions, wonderful things :). For me that's an entirely natural position for your arm when you're sliding like that and he had no chance whatsoever to get it out of the way. Mike Jones was in a great position and seemed to have no doubt at all in his decision .. I'm backing him on this one. And laughing at Chelski :D

never a pen in a million years for me many referees are way to eager to get busy when the ball hits hand/arm

Penalty. You don't get to block of another yard along the ground with your arm just because you're sliding.
Disagree strongly :). The analogy I would draw is that if you're jumping in the air, your arms will naturally be raised rather than pinned to your sides (and therefore 'blocking another yard of air'!). This is just the same kind of thing in another type of typical football situation. And, to reinforce this, we all know that when it comes to other fouls in the box like holding at corners or little nudges, the offense needs to be clear cut for us to give it .. why any different for a handball?

Disagree strongly :). The analogy I would draw is that if you're jumping in the air, your arms will naturally be raised rather than pinned to your sides (and therefore 'blocking another yard of air'!). This is just the same kind of thing in another type of typical football situation. And, to reinforce this, we all know that when it comes to other fouls in the box like holding at corners or little nudges, the offense needs to be clear cut for us to give it .. why any different for a handball?

I disagree. The arm will normally be - and should be - tucked up underneath you somewhere. With jumping your arms are going to be sort of tucked into your chest, so not a good analogy. They will be raised initially as you start the leap (with the ball nowhere near), but as the ball approaches they'll be tucked in.

Ok, looks like we will need to agree to disagree on this one. For what it's worth, given that handball is meant to be 'deliberate', when it comes to debating arm positions I think we should only call it when the arms are 'deliberately' put in an obviously unnatural position rather than just being away from the sides per se. You may well agree with this and still see the OP as an example of this .. can totally see that it's a fine judgement to make in this case :)

It was attached to his body, that's what it was doing there!:)

Not an "unnatural" position for me.

Although it would be unnatural for me to say Chelsea should be given anything!:p

Opinions - we all 'ave em.

For me, he has jumped into a slide block attempt rather hastily, completely misjudged it. Could he have not have had his arm trailing so far behind him? For me yes - if it was under his body I would be fine with it, but trailing out so far behind the rest of his body? :confused:

My humble opinion, the arm shouldn't be there. He has made a right balls up of the attempted block (which is what has caused the problem), through to the "handball". Hence my previously stated opinion of penalty.

Football eh? Not even refs can agree. :D

Bournemouth had an identical shout for a penalty vs Lpool in C1 Cup with, incidentally, Mike Jones in charge. Not given, im happy with the consistency.

Even if that incident didn't happen, it would have still been the referees fault... Mourinho is forever blaming everyone else !
Also, with the way chelsea have treated referees in recent history (graham poll-mark clattenburgh to name a few) I find it hilarious when decisions don't go their way :)

Back